LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a little bit about tuning from you all, but I have a few questions as I do not have a computer to tune with. It seems like the HP tuners is a better setup, with a lot more functions to mess with. Here is the main question though....Could you get a professional tune from the HP tuner kit? The reason I ask is because I want to start tuning my car and always have the stock tune if needed. If I go to a shop, I'll never get that back. Obviously there is do's and dont's with the software, but how good of a tune can I get? I guess I'm trying to figure out if it is worth me getting the unit rather than having someone do it....and if I can get close to a perfect tune...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
HP tuners is a great tuning software. You can get a professional tune with HP tuners. I had Jeremy Fortanato do mine with HP tuners. Now I want the program for myself.
 

·
Blowed Up...
Joined
·
11,360 Posts
I called a local shop today to ask them a few questions.

1) All motor or Supercharger?

All Motor hands down. He said the motor heats up way too fast with the SC and the gains were not impressive for a car that is daily driven.

2) Which Tuning system?

HP Tuners or LS1 Edit are the heavy favorites. Stay away from the Predator, the guy said they made more power tuning the stock computer alone than when the Predator was used.

Me personally I will be running the HP Tuners program, and go All Motor
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
bob_50 said:
I've been reading a little bit about tuning from you all, but I have a few questions as I do not have a computer to tune with. It seems like the HP tuners is a better setup, with a lot more functions to mess with. Here is the main question though....Could you get a professional tune from the HP tuner kit? The reason I ask is because I want to start tuning my car and always have the stock tune if needed. If I go to a shop, I'll never get that back. Obviously there is do's and dont's with the software, but how good of a tune can I get? I guess I'm trying to figure out if it is worth me getting the unit rather than having someone do it....and if I can get close to a perfect tune...
i had asked this question a few months b/c my needs are exact same as yours. i want a performance tune and the ability to return to the stock tune if i want to. baically there is not good way to do this. your options are:

1) if you take your car to a tuner, they will give you a good tune. but you are not purchasing the software, just their expertise and time. so to return to stock you would have to take your car back to them and pay for it.

2) if you purchase the predator directly from RWTD then james can give a custom tune for the mods you have, but this is only by mail order and still not a true dyno tune.

3) if you purchase the softare yourself then you need to know what ur doing.

so like i said, there isn't a real convenient way to get what you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys... Yes, and the big thing is to know what I'm doing, which I really don't..maybe some basics on tuning.. But, I really want to learn about it.
 

·
Master of Youngrushhour
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
If you go with the Predator - I would only use RWTD, unless you are proficient. James has a great base tune set up for the GTO already. Then he gives you detailed instructions on how to test the tune (easy) to make sure it is exactly what your car needs - if it needs tweaking he does that also. I up loaded a spreadsheet in one of the threads which identified the procedures to test the tune.

Edited:

This is what James tune looks like in my car - prior post:

This run was done multiple times this morning with IAT reading 82-90 degrees, ambient temp 75 degrees and little humidity.

1) Knock retard - none witnessed at WOT or any where else in the RPM range (including a lot of town traffic). Even in prior RWTD tune the only KR I saw was at the end an hour of testing, when we got back into stop & go traffic - had a couple of quick hits, but the night has hot and humidity was in the 90% range.

2) O2 banks - consistant 900-905's at WOT at redline shift points (mine are now 6,000 Rpms);

3) LTFT's consistant -.78 to -1.56 at part throttle - ie 55mph in 3rd & 65 mph in Drive. Open up the throttle to WOT and then 0;

4) Spark timing at WOT @ redlines - 19.5 to 20.5

5) The A4 is quick as sh*t and smooth as butter shifting at low throtlle, no more jolts like the generic performance tune. At half throttle up it is an animal - chirping tires in 1st, 2nd & 3rd - haven't had the cononnes to get to the redline in 3rd for the shift into Drive (it is called sanity, plus I need my license)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rushhour said:
If you go with the Predator - I would only use RWTD, unless you are proficient. James has a great base tune set up for the GTO already. Then he gives you detailed instructions on how to test the tune (easy) to make sure it is exactly what your car needs - if it needs tweaking he does that also. I up loaded a spreadsheet in one of the threads which identified the procedures to test the tune.

Edited:

This is what James tune looks like in my car - prior post:

This run was done multiple times this morning with IAT reading 82-90 degrees, ambient temp 75 degrees and little humidity.

1) Knock retard - none witnessed at WOT or any where else in the RPM range (including a lot of town traffic). Even in prior RWTD tune the only KR I saw was at the end an hour of testing, when we got back into stop & go traffic - had a couple of quick hits, but the night has hot and humidity was in the 90% range.

2) O2 banks - consistant 900-905's at WOT at redline shift points (mine are now 6,000 Rpms);

3) LTFT's consistant -.78 to -1.56 at part throttle - ie 55mph in 3rd & 65 mph in Drive. Open up the throttle to WOT and then 0;

4) Spark timing at WOT @ redlines - 19.5 to 20.5

5) The A4 is quick as sh*t and smooth as butter shifting at low throtlle, no more jolts like the generic performance tune. At half throttle up it is an animal - chirping tires in 1st, 2nd & 3rd - haven't had the cononnes to get to the redline in 3rd for the shift into Drive (it is called sanity, plus I need my license)


What happens when you do mods later on? Do you send it back and he uploads new programs for free, or is it a charge? Can you modify the programs on your own? Thanks for the info..
 

·
Master of Youngrushhour
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
If you use RWTD - every time you do a mod - you email James and tell him what is going on. He then tweaks the tune and sends a file back for you to up load to the Predator (usually takes 5-7 days). You then go put it in the car and do the whole test phase again to make sure that it is okay. Tunes from him are free - if you bought it from RWTD, otherwise they require a one time "membership" charge of $100 - If memory serves me correctly.

You can always modify the program yourself - if you desire. When he does a tune - James sends back a list of what he did and what areas of the tune should not be touched any further.

Hope that helps.
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i had asked this question a few months b/c my needs are exact same as yours. i want a performance tune and the ability to return to the stock tune if i want to. baically there is not good way to do this. your options are:

1) if you take your car to a tuner, they will give you a good tune. but you are not purchasing the software, just their expertise and time. so to return to stock you would have to take your car back to them and pay for it.

2) if you purchase the predator directly from RWTD then james can give a custom tune for the mods you have, but this is only by mail order and still not a true dyno tune.

3) if you purchase the softare yourself then you need to know what ur doing.

so like i said, there isn't a real convenient way to get what you want.
Actually I think there is, you decide who you are going to use to tune your car, ask them what software they use. Then buy that software, and backup your stock tune. Then go have it dyno tuned, and back that up with your software. Now you can flip flop between them as needed. Additionally you can investigate the differences, and learn to use it, and go from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
TrakDay said:
"Stay away from the Predator, the guy said they made more power tuning the stock computer alone than when the Predator was used."
I find this hard to believe.... I know there are alot of people out here having great luck tuning the GTO with the Predator. I could be wrong, but your guy is saying he made more power with the STOCK computer? I'll believe it when I see it...
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
CDecker said:
I find this hard to believe.... I know there are alot of people out here having great luck tuning the GTO with the Predator. I could be wrong, but your guy is saying he made more power with the STOCK computer? I'll believe it when I see it...
the predator has caused problems in cars with any other mods......by itself its good. I have first hand knowledge of this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
the predator has caused problems in cars with any other mods......by itself its good. I have first hand knowledge of this
Interesting... What about small mods like CAI / Cat-Back?
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
CDecker said:
Interesting... What about small mods like CAI / Cat-Back?
I am not sure about those but I know it will cause a loss of power with a different maf. Most people will recommend against using it with any mods.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
CDecker said:
Interesting... What about small mods like CAI / Cat-Back?
the predator is supposed to be optimal for a GTO with a cat back and CAI. but some guys are running into problems when using the predator in conjuction with the T byrne MAF ends. im guessing that the basic predator tune isn't gonna help if you do much more modding then a cat back or CAI.
so basically, if you plan to do much more than a cat back or CAI, then you will need a custom tune, or a mail order tune direct from RTWD

Huntress said:
Actually I think there is, you decide who you are going to use to tune your car, ask them what software they use. Then buy that software, and backup your stock tune. Then go have it dyno tuned, and back that up with your software. Now you can flip flop between them as needed. Additionally you can investigate the differences, and learn to use it, and go from there.
yeah, i guess you are correct huntress. this is about the only method that i can of that will be a possible solution to problem. its just a really darn expensive solution ($500 for software+$500 for dyno tune=%1000)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
the predator is supposed to be optimal for a GTO with a cat back and CAI. but some guys are running into problems when using the predator in conjuction with the T byrne MAF ends. im guessing that the basic predator tune isn't gonna help if you do much more modding then a cat back or CAI.
so basically, if you plan to do much more than a cat back or CAI, then you will need a custom tune, or a mail order tune direct from RTWD
Thats all I really plan on doing, CAI and Cat Back... Hopefully the Predator will be all I need... I have read the threads though on the numerous problems with the Diablo perofrmance tune that is pre-programmed. Nothing a custom tune form RWTD or even modifing the performance tune yourself with the predator cant fix however....
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
the predator is supposed to be optimal for a GTO with a cat back and CAI. but some guys are running into problems when using the predator in conjuction with the T byrne MAF ends. im guessing that the basic predator tune isn't gonna help if you do much more modding then a cat back or CAI.
so basically, if you plan to do much more than a cat back or CAI, then you will need a custom tune, or a mail order tune direct from RTWD



yeah, i guess you are correct huntress. this is about the only method that i can of that will be a possible solution to problem. its just a really darn expensive solution ($500 for software+$500 for dyno tune=%1000)
I had trouble with the predator and the SLP maf not maf ends.
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
the predator has caused problems in cars with any other mods......by itself its good. I have first hand knowledge of this
I have the predator on my M6 with no other mods. I get no KR at any rpm
and when I go back to stock tune there is a major difference in the lower
rpms. I am very happy with the Predator, but if I start modding then I would
want to get it tuned for the mods. CMNT actually lost power by adding some mods, CAI, exhaust maybe? until he got it tuned, then he gained power.
 

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Just a fact from my experience with Predator, I gained 3.5rwhp and 4.2rwtq on the performance tune.

This is JMHO, but if you have access to a laptop, I would go with HP Tuners. I have had zero tuning experience before this car and I have been very careful and asked a lot of questions both from pro tuners and do-it-yourselfers. Once you get a few mods on the car I think that the abilities of the HP will truly shine.

Just for perspective I bought the HP software for $499 and got a dyno tune from a very reputable shop for $150. They saved all my files(stock and modded) and I have them @ home with me.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top