LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
There is no such thing as rock hard facts as to what will void a warranty! One dealer will be cool with a supercharger. Another dealer will call the police if they see headers. It's all about the opinion of the service manager.

My dealer wanted to void my warranty because of my LPE air filter. I recently read that someone here got their warranty voided from an oil filter. Forget about what the law says. What are you going to do? Sue? You will lose.

EDIT: my dealer also freaked out and almost went into convulsions when she saw that I had removed the spare tire, accessories, and carpet. she said i had removed "critical" components.

·
Long Standing Member
1,776 Posts
Most dealers don't care that there is a warranty.

Shop around for a good dealer if there are several around. Goto the regional section and ask for the ones to visit and the ones to avoid. They should be able to give details like: I had an X installed and the dealer was cool about.

·
420 rwhp / 390 rwtq
1,218 Posts
Some dealers feel that if you fart on the seat that your whole warranty is voided. Unfortunately, you are many times at the mercy of the service manager whether or not you have a fight on your hands. Now legally, the moss magnusen warranty act protects us, but as we have found out, even if you take that stance you are not guaranteed anything.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Unfortunately not all dealers service depts are the same. What one service advisor will let pass another one will flat out refuse. It's the luck of the draw, and in some cases owners don't have a choice what service dept they can go to. I'm lucky enough to have a service manager that is also into performance cars. It shouldn't be like this, service depts should follow the same guidelines as the next dealership. But being that each dealership is independently owned, those guidelines are interpreted differently by each of them.

ROK

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
If you want to maintain your warranty then don't modify your car and have them maintain it so they have all the records.

As others have said, find a reasonable dealer to take the car to and find out what they will let you modify. That does not mean he has total say because if the GM Rep disagrees you lose.

Any aftermarket part that gets installed will have no warranty like a catback, but it should not void the whole car.

When I brought mine in for a new cluster, they had no problem replacing it. If I had a transmission problem they would be asking for my credit card.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Be careful though...a dealer said they'd warrant stuff as long as I didn't modify it or do somethign to it....but when I went for some things that weren't modified, the said they won't work on it b/c this other stuff was modified. Then the district rep called my car in and got my drivetrain voided completely.

so i said f it and fixed it myself and got better parts

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Yes Power adders can get the whole drivetrain voided.

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
My dealership, although not always able to fix a problem, has no issues with modifications. They will look things over and if they find a mod to be the cause of failure, then I'll be paying for repairs, otherwise it's under warranty. Of course, breaking into the engine to change camshaft, springs, etc - that might be pushing it. But simple bolt-ons are definitely not an issue.

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
my dealer knows what the magnason act is, and is well informed about it. just because you have aftermarket parts on it like a s/c or turbo, or cai, or aftermarket exhaust, if you bring the car in for something wrong. the dealer can't start voiding warranty on everthing else. i descrened the maf on my 04 and they said it was not in warranty anymore. but they know they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. just because you have a s/c on your car and it runs fine the dealer cannot tell you they are going to terminate the warranty. but if you loose a cylinder then you just bought yourself a engine. on my maf i modified it which voided the stock parts warranty. my dealer can get s/chargers and alot of mods that they will put on for a high fee, and then it will be covered under the factory warranty. they know i drag race my car at the strip and are always there and have came up to me and offered advice on how and what parts to make it go faster. and thats a kind of dealer we all need servicing our cars. kerry ardmore ok.

·
Hunkerin Down
244 Posts
I asked the dealer where I bought my car if it was alright for me to change the DIFF and transmission Fluid.

And he said no we will void the warranty if you dont use GM fluids.

Then i asked if i could use RP in the engine and he said he heard it was good oil so fine, But if my dealer is so goofy about after market fluids i can imagine the heart attack he would have over a CAI or headers.

So, mine is just stock, I dont need my wife b****ing at me if I break something and the warranty gets Voided.

But heck In a couple years when the warranty time is up.. Look out 11's !!

·
Frantically Modding
4,458 Posts
iamdiceman said:
I asked the dealer where I bought my car if it was alright for me to change the DIFF and transmission Fluid.

And he said no we will void the warranty if you dont use GM fluids.

Then i asked if i could use RP in the engine and he said he heard it was good oil so fine, But if my dealer is so goofy about after market fluids i can imagine the heart attack he would have over a CAI or headers.

So, mine is just stock, I dont need my wife b****ing at me if I break something and the warranty gets Voided.

But heck In a couple years when the warranty time is up.. Look out 11's !!
I know how your feeling......My wife told me "if you spend another 20k modding a brand new car Im outta here". I said "yes dear.........Feed the dogs on your way out huh".

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
heck go to your dealer and ask to see a aftermarket parts catalog from gm. they have one, i went to my dealer and done just that and asked which one of the items would void my warranty. they said that if i purchased it thru them thay would install and add it into the factory warranty, but the extended warranty will not cover it. and if the dealer will not do that for you i would tell them to go to hellm/!!!}/*and go fu$#!} there selves. and find me one that would work with me. heck if i had the money to put a s/c on but i had to wait for the warranty to run out i would just go find a dealer that would put one on for me and then play heck with the car, no more worries. and maybe there are just a few dealers out there that will do this, i am just glad i have one of of those dealers.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here is the latest information from the dealers service policy manual:

Aftermarket Engine Performance Enhancement Products and Modifications

Some aftermarket engine performance products and modifications promise a way to increase the horsepower and torque levels of a vehicle’s powertrain. The products may have detrimental effects on the performance and life of the engine, exhaust, emission system, transmission, and drivetrain. The Duramax Diesel Engine, Allison Automatic Transmission and drivetrain have been designed and built to offer industry leading durability and performance in the most demanding applications. Engine power enhancement products may enable the engine to operate at horsepower and torque levels that could damage, create failure, or reduce the life of the engine, engine emission system, transmission and drivetrain. Damage, failure, or reduced life of the engine, transmission emission system, drivetrain or other vehicle components caused by aftermarket engine performance enhancement products or modifications may not be covered under the vehicle warranty or GMPP plan.
Also, this is part of a disclosure statement that the dealers are supposed to have customers sign if they (the dealer) have put anything aftermarket on a vehicle:
Notice to Buyer on Vehicle Modifications

Modifications to your vehicle including but not limited to: the installation of wheel/tire combinations not certified by General Motors or for which a GM provided vehicle calibration is available directly from General Motors may have an adverse affect on engine operation, vehicle performance, vehicle operation, vehicle stopping distances, proper operation of the ABS braking systems, transmission operation and fuel mileage. Vehicle operational conditions or failures caused by non-GM certified (see GM tire/wheel label) wheel & tire combination are not covered under the terms of the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please note that Duramax Diesel powered vehicles equipped with the Allison automatic transmission are limited to only to the P245/75/R16 GM factory build wheel & tire combination.

Addition of aftermarket power enhancement vehicle introduced calibrations not provided by General Motors are not condoned by General Motors and may result in engine/transmission/driveline/rear or front differential/transfer case, fuel system or emission warranty coverage being voided. Installation of nitrous oxide induction, propane induction, non-GM engineered/supplied superchargers, blowers, turbo chargers, after coolers, engine headers, or non-GM certified engine or transmission calibrations may result in engine, transmission, driveline, rear or front differential, driveline and transfer case, fuel system or emission warranty coverage being voided.

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
exactly what i stated! the warranty will not be voided just because you have aftermarket parts on the vehicle. unless your aftermarket part is on the item that went bad. then your dealer will void the warranty on such item. and cannot void the warranty on the whole vehicle.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I called my local dealer and told them about my AEM CAI, they thought I was talking about a supercharger. After I told them it was just a tube and filter, they were basically like "Just that? No, don't even worry about that, you warranty won't be affected in the least". So I guess it just depends on the dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts