LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
I'm at 800 rwhp with a 4l60e. Will it last? Who knows, but it's on it's 3rd year now boosted without issues and I've had good luck with them in the past from reputable builders. As far as I'm aware it was the original trans as it only had 26,000 miles and was basically stock when I bought it. First year of my ownership I was cam only on stock trans. Second year I put a built 4l60e in it and was only with 10 psi on sbe ls1. Nothing wrong with the stock trans at that time just knew the direction I was headed. Third year was 14 psi on sbe ls1. This year (my 4th year of ownership) I have a forged LS3 with 16 psi and it's doing good so far. If it breaks I'll most likely go to a 4l80e. I didn't want to do that because of the extra weight until it was actually necessary.

I'm not saying starting with something better right from the get go is a bad idea. I'm just saying the 4l60e isn't as fragile as many think especially when built correctly.
You got lucky - and found a reputable builder. For every one of you there are 10 threads on this forum with busted transmissions (built or otherwise) on less power.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You got lucky - and found a reputable builder. For every one of you there are 10 threads on this forum with busted transmissions (built or otherwise) on less power.
I actually have more stories of successful results with 4l60e's...lol. Had a 2004 gto I bought new in 2004 put a 408 with nitrous in it and ran 10.28 with a level 5 4l60e built by finish line transmissions. A couple years in a row with over 100 passes a year without issue and daily driven. Sold that car in 2008 and the buyer just sold that car a few years ago with the same trans in it going strong. Had a friend with a vette and an RPM built 4l60e making 1200 rwhp and ran 5.0x in the 1/8th with it. He had no issues with it, but sold it and went power glide because his new setup makes 1700 wheel so he knew that was asking too much. The 4l60e isn't the strongest or best thing out there by any means, but 800 rwhp is very doable for an RPM built transmission even in a heavy car. In a lighter car 1000 rwhp is doable.

I'm actually past what RPM recommended for my current trans, but it's doing great so far. I have zero torque management in my tune as well...LOL

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
Good for you I guess.
🤷‍♂️

·
GR-RRR!
5,656 Posts
The parts I am having a little challenge with are:

Im a total newbie and dont know much about the inner workings of cars and how power translates to all the different parts of the vehicle
Combined with:

I want 800hp
I'm guessing the OP wouldn't know what to do with 300hp let alone 800hp. Methinks also we are being trolled.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts