LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you keep asking all the questions about 200mph runs...suspension...etc...

you must be getting ready to do one hell of a run!!!!! :gears:

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i'm getting ready to get ready for a 200 mph run. it's been my dreams since i got my liscence. and not in a race car. in a street car. i want to be part of the 200 mph club :)

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and. what are the down sides of having a tire rated for higher speeds. are they sticky tires or something and how long do they last.

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
jamesbiz said:
lol i'm getting ready to get ready for a 200 mph run. it's been my dreams since i got my liscence. and not in a race car. in a street car. i want to be part of the 200 mph club :)
You're not going to do it in a Goat. You're going to need a shitload of HP to do it. Say 1500+. The record to the best of my knowledge is 194mph in a 1000hp GTO.....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
better go to the salt flats!!!!! a long road and some high gears.....

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
barkingspud said:
You're not going to do it in a Goat. You're going to need a shitload of HP to do it. Say 1500+. The record to the best of my knowledge is 194mph in a 1000hp GTO.....
lol who are you kidding. the corvettes do it just fine with hp numbers no where near that. remember. that 950 hp gto was going around an oval track and wasn't trying to go for all out top speed. i'm sure he could have broke 200 easy. i the stock gto's in germany seem to get to 184 just fine with the governer removed

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way. 1500 hp would probably be able to do 250 with the right kind of suspension and body work and tires and etc lol.

·
Jimmy
1,364 Posts
I think 550 rwhp and gears will take the GTO to 200 mph. But without the supporting suspension it would be scary.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
I you guys are talking about the Motor Trend GTO, I think the 194 mph were attained in a ONE MILE distance and the driver lifted the throtle before the mile was over. If that's the case 200 mph in the GTO should not be that difficult. JMHO, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well i know iv gotten my gto up to the 159mph cut out on the rural highways over hills and over bridges and stuff amy times and it didnt feel like i was loosing any control the only problem i had was a bridge that i hit at 140 and came down a lil squirely... there is no doubt in my mind that a stock gto with out a cut out would do 200mph hell its only another 40mph .... someone find me a programer for cheap and ill tell ya'll if it works lol

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no it would not do 200 . i WISH it would. but it would need things to be upgraded to do that. maybe stock with the perfect gears and a tune could do it tho. if it does 180 with the governer off. whats another 20 mph?

·
I am now NOBOOST GTO SOLD
1,505 Posts
I have Michelin PS2s 235/40/18 and 275/35/18 rears I will usaually make at least one high speed run from 60 mph to 176 indicated on speedo in a special area we do roll ons in its 7/10s of a mile every Sunday. These are the best tires I have ever owned period, they are not the stickiest but they work very well ride awesome and are ABSOLUTELY STABLE AND SAFE AT SPEED.

You will need to gear your car taller to be able to do 200, even though sixth gear is tall enough to do it you will need to be able to do it in 5th because 6th is just to tall to pull. Even if you could pull it the trans would burn up ask any twin turbo viper owner or vette owner they also have a T56 trans as well. The vipers have the strongest parts to choose from but you will need to run a electric oil pump to lube 5th and 6th at the higher speeds and loads.

Oh ya BE CAREFULL!!

Les

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
jamesbiz said:
if it does 180 with the governer off. whats another 20 mph?
A lot more than what you're ready for. If you don't already know what it'd take to 200 mph safely, you aren't ready to go anywhere near that fast.

Stick with something <150 mph until you learn what you need, which is a lot more than what you probably think you need to learn.

·
www.theangrygoat.com
417 Posts
have to look into some different compound tires and ratings etc to get the right tire for this

Falken
Advan Neova

Just a couple off the top of my head

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
itslow said:
A lot more than what you're ready for. If you don't already know what it'd take to 200 mph safely, you aren't ready to go anywhere near that fast.

Stick with something <150 mph until you learn what you need, which is a lot more than what you probably think you need to learn.
Unless I missed something with all the threads posted to date about this safely's got nothing to do with it.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
itslow said:

I take 159 many times and i'm extremely comfortable with that already so why do i need to stick with something under 150?

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ironmancan said:
Unless I missed something with all the threads posted to date about this safely's got nothing to do with it.
hey now. i'm not trying to kill my self you know. i'm asking about all the upgrades that i need suspension wise to stay stay. and i'm asking a lot more other questions. If i didn't care about safety i'd just plop on some quick suspension mods, a forced induction of one kind or another, tune, gears and i'd hit the 200.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
jamesbiz said:
hey now. i'm not trying to kill my self you know. i'm asking about all the upgrades that i need suspension wise to stay stay. and i'm asking a lot more other questions. If i didn't care about safety i'd just plop on some quick suspension mods, a forced induction of one kind or another, tune, gears and i'd hit the 200.
No matter how you slice it if your intention is to do this on a public road it's not safe doesn't really matter how you get there. I mean no offense but if something is worth doing it's worth doing right. You'll be hitting 200 mph according to your speedo and how accurate is your speedo at 200 MPH? Not meaning to sound like a worry wart just hate to see something bad happen when it doesn't have too. If we didn't care we wouldn't post. JMHOP

1 - 20 of 31 Posts