LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject line says, I would like to turn my radiator fan on early as easily and least costly as I can. What are some options? I'm also going to do a lower temperature thermostat, any idea where I can get one of those? What temp, 165F? Thanks.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Try this link for a 160 degree T-Stat: Speed Inc.

They recommend lowering the fan on/off temps. I took the plunge and ordered the HP Tuner Software, but that's a huge investment just to change the fan on/off temps. Speed Inc. also offers a "Mail Order Tune", but you have to send them your PCM, which means your car is out of order until the PCM makes the round trip. Also, I would think, if you ever disconnected the battery, your PCM would reset to defaults and you'd lose the "Mail Order Tune". (Don't quote me on that, I may be wrong.)

Another option is a hand held scanner/programmer, but I am not familiar with those. Your absolutely cheapest option is to find someone nearby who already has the tools. :),

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
This is the setup which I haven't gotten around to installing yet. I purchased a Hayden fan controller, which uses a little probe that you insert between the fins of the radiator at the hottest point. Look for 3467 on page 89 HERE On the GTO you will need 3 relays to make it work, because the factory setup provides constant power to the fans, and makes the ground connection to turn on the fans. Virtually all of the aftermarket fan controllers switch on the 12 volt side. I found an excellent source for Bosch relays and sockets HERE The circuit I have in mind will parallel the OEM controller on the low speed fan side, and will allow the factory engagement of the fans when the air conditioner is activated.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,662 Posts
DevilYellow said:
The PCM's memory is flashed with the tune it is not going anywhere.
Yep, the only way is to physically reflash it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just get a Toggle switch, and wire the fan right to any Power source. Then whenEVER you want the fan on, just flip the switch! Its cheap, but not always the best way! BUT its awesome for when you are at the track to cool the engine more!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
165 dgrees creates other probelms...

To start, I do not thinkg the coolant system is large enough to keep the coolant temp at or around 165 degrees on a warm day. There are reasons for 195 degree thermostats. the oil last longer and is better for the engine. Witout reprogramming other items, you can stay in open loop longer, and create other types of emissions and contamination probelms. Granted it is important to lower the temp if you are significantly pumping up the hp. But just remember one of the basic laws of physics: with every action, there is an equal reaction. You should think about the ultimate goal you want with the vehicle. 350 is already a lot of hp. Going higher is short term fun, and potential long term concerns. It is also my opinion the current brakes and tgires are not good enough for those who want to "dance with the limits". just things to think about.

As far as the fan, I think there is a relay assembly that probably activates the fan. You can tap into the controlled side of the relay and use a toggle switch to activate. Important to use good stuff so you do not have potential feedback problems. We have added a lot of auxillary radiator fans for many of our fulls size trucks because in 100 degree weather and in stop and go tgraffice, the a/c can go to @#$%^&. the 30amp fan works great but it is noisy. so we do add a toggle switch so poeple can control when it is on; especially for winter operations.

dms

dms

·
Registered
392 Posts
dms, I'm with you. So far no heat problem with the GOAT. My camaro's did get hot.
I went to a bigger aluminum race radiators and 195 thermo. 220 degrees is two hot in my book. Now there are two sensors. One runs the fan(s) @ 220/the other a/c sensor. I used the 220 sensor and the TEMP. stays at a cool 195 now. Even in Traffic and hot days. I hope this makes some logic its hard to write all the steps. And who's to say that the GTO's aren't more complicated with advanced systems of today??

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I've done a fair amount of observing the ECT while driving. At speed, the temp will settle to around 192 to 194 depending on outside temp. Idling, it will climb to 228 before the low speed fan kicks on. That's a little too wide a swing for me. Less temperature variation is good for the engine regardless of your desired setpoint. I suspect the factory engineers allow it to get that high to avoid frequent cycling of the fans, which some may find annoying, and will degrade economy slightly, due to the alternator drag. I personally would favor a lower fan trigger, even with a stock thermostat.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
228 dgrees is normal

mistermike said:
I've done a fair amount of observing the ECT while driving. At speed, the temp will settle to around 192 to 194 depending on outside temp. Idling, it will climb to 228 before the low speed fan kicks on. That's a little too wide a swing for me. Less temperature variation is good for the engine regardless of your desired setpoint. I suspect the factory engineers allow it to get that high to avoid frequent cycling of the fans, which some may find annoying, and will degrade economy slightly, due to the alternator drag. I personally would favor a lower fan trigger, even with a stock thermostat.
Since the early 80"s, if the A/C is off, the fans do not come on until 228. All together different if the A/C is on. Do not be alarmed at 228 degrees

dms

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Has anybody noticed when you've been driving and the car is nice and hot, then you have to stop like a drivethrough or something, that you often get really hot air coming up the drivers side to your arm at the window? I'm assuming it's mostly due to the exhaust both being on the driver's side. I definitely see why there's so much heat shielding in this car now.
Dan

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
dms said:
To start, I do not thinkg the coolant system is large enough to keep the coolant temp at or around 165 degrees on a warm day. There are reasons for 195 degree thermostats. the oil last longer and is better for the engine. Witout reprogramming other items, you can stay in open loop longer, and create other types of emissions and contamination probelms. Granted it is important to lower the temp if you are significantly pumping up the hp. But just remember one of the basic laws of physics: with every action, there is an equal reaction. You should think about the ultimate goal you want with the vehicle.
Acctually installing a 160 t-stat will do jack squat without reporgramming the fans. If the fans dont cool the system until 215+ degees then it doesnt much matter when the t-stat opens up.

Also, just because the t-stat opens at a certain time doesnt mean that the car will run at that temperature.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
A few things here.

I have the 160* t-stat.

1) In normal driving it runs about 183-185* and doesn't fluctuate at all.
2) As long as you are moving, the temperature that the PCM has the fans set to come on for is irrelevant! If you're moving, you won't need the fans. The temp setting for the fans is only important when sitting for long periods of time or when stuck in traffic. They'll kick on and drop the temps right back down to the 183-185* range much like when I'm moving.
3) GM runs them hotter from the factory for emissions purposes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts