LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(This is a re-post from the wheel section.....I don't think that that was the right spot for it)

Hi guys, first post on here. I have been remaining quiet and doing as much research as possible before asking questions, but alas, do not feel combfortable with what I have found....

I have not purchased my GTO yet, but will be doing so in the next month.I will be getting a 2005 M6. I am going to install the pedders track II suspension kit, which does lower the car.....I will have a set of summer wheels that will be fitted with the same size wheels and tires that I sue at the track. I will have winter wheels if I need to drive it in the winter, and want to get wheels for track day use and run V7 10's, or R6's etc. So, back to the question:

What wheels (please not expensive!) are you all using at the road course? Are the stockers the best? 17's or 18's? I thouught that an 18 would allow a smaller profile and help with the weight of these cars. Would like to know of specfics like offset and width that you think/know will work on a GTO with the Pedders set up and please NO ROLLING please!................BUT, if I have to I will......I would prefer not to run a staggered set-up, but if the the advantage is obvious I will.

So, what should I get?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Brad

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would suggest a set of 17's. That is what I am running. The 18's will probably handle a little better but tires for 17's are a lot more cheaper and you have a better selection to pick from. I am running ASA wheels (17x8 front, 17x9 rear). I know others have been lookings at SSR type-c's due to weights.

I would watch the "For Sale" section for wheels. My ASA's I bought from 1lapgto when he got his SSR's.

As for tires, I would say you have 3 chooses:
-Kuhmo V710's
-Hoosier R6's
-Goodyear GS-SC

I plan to run the V710's since they are cheaper and will last longer (I do more autox events than road events a year). I know T2GTO runs the goodyears and likes them. I also know other (different cars) that run the R6's and love them. I think it comes down to how much you want to spend and how often.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the toyo RA-1s seem to last pretty good...but they are kinda $$. ive got 4 full days of open track time on my current set - they're mostly used up tho.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
berjet, thank you for the knowledgeable answer. I think I will try and hunt down some 17's based on what you have said. Its not worth taking a car to a track if you can't afford to pay for the time is it? My next question:

On the front are you able to run a 245? and the rear, 275?

And, what are the offsets of your wheels?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i am running a 245/45 front and a 275/40 rear. i have no idea what offset but if i were to guess i would say 40 front and no idea rear. i had to remove all the fender lip to get the wheels to clear (i couldn't roll my car for some reason, broke the roller trying). the wheels are asa renegades IIRC. they should have the wheels on thier website. i will look later when i get more time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh

All right bro, you have been a great help..........I know what to do once I pick a size...........but I think you may hvae convinced me to get the 18's!

Is the only reason not to go wiht 18's the $$$'s and the availability?
What would be the positives? If I have the cash and patience, should I grab 18's?

Thanks!
Brad

·
AKA CrabbyDaddy
251 Posts
I’m running TSW 18X8 with 40mm offsets and Potenza RE040 RFT’s 245/40/18. I like the RE040’s and the RFT’s give me a much stiffer sidewall which save the scrubbing that I had with the regular RE040’s. I run the same tires on the street and track (Road Courses only).
Other options I considered were the R6s and RA-1s.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
racing616 said:
All right bro, you have been a great help..........I know what to do once I pick a size...........but I think you may hvae convinced me to get the 18's!

Is the only reason not to go wiht 18's the $$$'s and the availability?
What would be the positives? If I have the cash and patience, should I grab 18's?

Thanks!
Brad
ya i probably would. i would check around to make sure there is more than 1 tire availible in that size. i personally would want at least a V710 and a toyo to choose from that would work (also having a hoosier would be nice too). I do too many events to be able to spend the $$ on 18" tires. plus i am still modding the car. once the modding is done i will probably get the 18's with 14" brakes (instead of my 13" brakes).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts