LS1GTO Forums banner

Wheel hop - Has anyone eliminated it?

4K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  GMH GTO 
#1 ·
I see all kinds of posts talking about it, but no real fixes. Everyone seems to be adjusting their driving around it.

I emailed Koni about if they are going to release AGX shocks for the GTO. On other cars, I have seen the adjustable shocks pretty much eliminate wheel hop. Being able to stiffen the rear shocks at the track is a nice benefit also. We'll see what they say.

Any other suggestions?
Anybody have poly bushings yet?
Another thought was the driveshaft uses a rubber type joint instead of u-joints? Could those be causing some flexing and loading between the tranny and rearend?

Bob

#6 ·
ok, so after i cleaned all of the rubber off the back of the car, i have come to one conclusion, yes this car has wheel hop. i think that with a touch stronger spring or shock ( a coil over would be great) this would all go away. another question and i cant answer it myself i have never delt with IRS before, can we adjust pinion angle? that would help alot. well, let me know what you all think. :burnout:

#7 ·
I've gotten some serious wheel hop out of this car whether I launch it at 2k or 4k. Even get it shifting into 2nd. Once I have the funds, I'm going to do the BMR subframe connectors, the Harrop diff cover, and maybe the SLP suspension arms. That should help eliminate any wheel hop, and it's not all that expensive.

#8 ·
I would assume that a complete look at the suspension and tire would net some good results in regards to wheel hop. Bushings, shocks, springs, tire can be tweaked to at least minimize or almost eliminate wheel hop.

Would be nice to know how much do you have to spend and what pieces are required to make your IRS launch like a solid axle but slalom like a IRS.

#9 ·
Poly bushings in the rear would help a lot i'm sure. Once I get my hands on a new GTO, i'm going to take some measurements and see if I can get a friend who is a fabricator to make me a little something he makes for high horsepower FWD cars which have the same problem. Basicly it keeps the wheels from 'hopping' while under hard load but doesnt modify the normal suspension functions.

#10 ·
drburns said:
I've gotten some serious wheel hop out of this car whether I launch it at 2k or 4k. Even get it shifting into 2nd. Once I have the funds, I'm going to do the BMR subframe connectors, the Harrop diff cover, and maybe the SLP suspension arms. That should help eliminate any wheel hop, and it's not all that expensive.
SLP suspension arms? Where are these available at, don't see them on SLP's website?

#12 ·
ive never gotten any wheel hop... maybe a running design change to the later cars? Mine does seem to be stiffer in the A$$ than the dealers demo that he has had for almost a year, mine Just arrived 3 weeks ago ???

#13 ·
Ya know, the BMR GTO doesnt have any wheel hop and they are running 10.5's. Someone should give them a ring and ask what the trick is. (Or at least the best inexpensive, streetable solution.)

#15 ·
The dealer fixed my wheel hop under warrantee. I told them I hear a noise from the rear when accelerating hard and that the right rear wheel feels like its jumping. They installed 2 Rear Insulators pn# 1674 WG94, 2 pn# 90447991 Retainers and
2 pn# 92038482 bolts to the right rear strut tower. This took care of the problem, NO hop at all under any RPM Clutch Dump.:burnout:

The left rear tower already has the parts in for the extra weight and movement from the exhust pipes exiting on that side.

ROK

#16 ·
I have the Harrop Diff cover which actually helped a lot. It changes the rear mount to 2 points in stead of one. This with a set of springs may do a nice job.

#17 ·
Anyone out there know if both wheels should be turning when you light 'em up. I only seem to be getting one mark when the rare occation comes up that I do this. Thought even limited slip got both tires going under those conditions. Need to wear tires out to justify getting new ones to significant other.

#18 ·
gordo24fan said:
Anyone out there know if both wheels should be turning when you light 'em up. I only seem to be getting one mark when the rare occation comes up that I do this. Thought even limited slip got both tires going under those conditions. Need to wear tires out to justify getting new ones to significant other.
yes both should be turning

#19 ·
My wheel hop is the worst on the 1-2 shift. I have some SLP bushings siting in the garage with some SFC's. I guess I need to get off my lazy butt and put them in so I can see if they help out.

#20 ·
Wheel hop after insulator fix

Greetings,

I have had the insulator replacement but still encounter hop. As some others have mentioned, driving technique is a big factor. My experience has been if the clutch is released sharply, regardless of rpm, wheel hop is likely. A smooth clutch release with smooth additional power gives better results, but not always.

But...we shouldn't have to worry about technique.

My question is this: I have read a post that states the Harrop diff cover helps solve the problem. Has anyone tried just a drive shaft replacement? Getting rid of the rubber mounted 2 piece unit would have to help, but would it help as much as the Harrop cover?

#21 ·
BobthePhotoGuy said:
I see all kinds of posts talking about it, but no real fixes. Everyone seems to be adjusting their driving around it.

I emailed Koni about if they are going to release AGX shocks for the GTO. On other cars, I have seen the adjustable shocks pretty much eliminate wheel hop. Being able to stiffen the rear shocks at the track is a nice benefit also. We'll see what they say.

Any other suggestions?
Anybody have poly bushings yet?
Another thought was the driveshaft uses a rubber type joint instead of u-joints? Could those be causing some flexing and loading between the tranny and rearend?

Bob
I believe BMR has shared with us what they did to eliminate in on their GTO which is a 10sec car. There is another wheelhop thread from about a month or two ago. Adjustable shocks, cross member bushing, 1 piece drive shaft, Harrop diff cover, end link bushing for rear sway, stiffer springs. They have tons of power and have been able to bring it under control. Not sure its worth doing unless you are weekend 1/4 miler and want the times the car can deliver. Mine is a street car, will see spirited driving at speed but not a lot of launches. If I change my mind and go to the track I know I will have to put a fair amount of money into the suspension to tame it for the drags.

#22 ·
1stGOAT said:
I believe BMR has shared with us what they did to eliminate in on their GTO which is a 10sec car. There is another wheelhop thread from about a month or two ago. Adjustable shocks, cross member bushing, 1 piece drive shaft, Harrop diff cover, end link bushing for rear sway, stiffer springs. They have tons of power and have been able to bring it under control. Not sure its worth doing unless you are weekend 1/4 miler and want the times the car can deliver. Mine is a street car, will see spirited driving at speed but not a lot of launches. If I change my mind and go to the track I know I will have to put a fair amount of money into the suspension to tame it for the drags.
I was hoping to find the best single mod to take care of the majority of the wheel hop problem. I'm not a regular at the drag strip, but I do enjoy getting sideways on occasion (when the coast is clear!). :secret: I think I will try the drive shaft first, then see if the Harrop cover is needed. Also, I am thinking about increasing the tire pressure a few pounds, just for an experiment.

#23 ·
I wouldnt think their is a 'single mod' that would get rid of it completely. But i'd be willing to bet a couple good mods would do the trick. Bushings / Diff Cover / Drive Shaft would be top on my list. Not exactly cheep but at least you are upgrading stuff at the same time.

#24 ·
CSiJason said:
I wouldnt think their is a 'single mod' that would get rid of it completely. But i'd be willing to bet a couple good mods would do the trick. Bushings / Diff Cover / Drive Shaft would be top on my list. Not exactly cheep but at least you are upgrading stuff at the same time.
I agree with your top 3. I especially want to get rid of that 2 piece drive shaft. It's a shame most aftermarket shafts will interfere with the stock exhaust (not ready to change that yet).

#26 ·
I just installed the Gravana Crossmember bushings and it brought the wheelhop under control. I only get slight hop if i really try to. When making launchs around 3k there is no wheel hop!!!! Im going to order the slp rear swaybar to see if it takes care of hte rest. All in all the bushings are worth every penny!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.