LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all the forum discussion, it seems that the GTO's problems with wheel hop and associated "thunking" sounds from the rear end on hard acceleration are due to having an independent rear suspension (IRS) instead of the old solid rear axle design. However, I haven't read about any such problems with the Mustang Cobra, which also has an IRS and a good deal more power than the GTO (390 hp). Anyone know why the Cobras apparently don't have this problem (stiffer springs, different tires, perhaps)? Is the Ford IRS design significantly different from the GTO? Is so, is there anything we might be able to take from that design to fix the problem on the GTO?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clunking may have fix coming

I posted about the clunk and have done some investigation. There may be a fix for it. I'm waiting on parts for mine but I'm away for a few days. Hopefully I'll know by Friday if the banging noise from agressive clutch engagement is gone. Whether it does anything for the wheel hop has not been revealed to me but I'm more concerned with the noise anyway. I'll post results unless someone is kind enough to beat me to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it possible that the rubber isolator in the driveshaft is responsible for exacerbating the hop? Seems like it would store up energy then release it (and repeat the process), sort of supporting the hop once it gets started.

·
3,327 Posts
I have no idea what causes it, but it sure is annoying.

·
3,327 Posts
I havent heard the thunking noise that people talk about, but I have felt the wheel hop. Instead of a screech you hear a schra..schra...schra...screech

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
OK, I did a search of the forums and did not find any fixes for this wheel hop problem. It appears that drag radials and sub-frame connectors, as well as driving technique, will HELP, but not necessarily cure the wheel hop.

Right now, the wheel hop is my #1 concern. There is no doubt in my mind that the wheel hop when shifting from 1st to 2nd at the drag strip slowed me down considerably. Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce... at least five bounces... that has to hurt.

Drag radials are on order. Sub-frame connectors, well, I will want to drive across the state to visit a "certified BMR installer" if I go that route. Tell me what "driving techniques" I can employ to reduce or eliminate this god awful wheel hop and get my ET's down. Thanks!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
kevm14 said:
Is it possible that the rubber isolator in the driveshaft is responsible for exacerbating the hop? Seems like it would store up energy then release it (and repeat the process), sort of supporting the hop once it gets started.
For the rubber isolator to cause wheel hop, its spring rate would have to be a couple of orders of magnitude lower than it is. For the bushing to be compliant at the 2-4 Hz frequency of wheel hop, it would have to be a large wound up spring, or made of chewing gum. I read on anothe post that someone is about to release a wheel hop cure, I just don't remember the post.

·
Registered
349 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts