LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
cheap fix is to buy a set of airbags from BMR and that will take care of the wheel hop I run 10psi in my bags and haven't had wheel hop since.
^^^ +1 Watch my track videos, Drag bags fixed my situation, only because I couldnt afford to get Pedderized, otherwise I would have.

:)

·
USAF RET
765 Posts
So do you think any drag spring would be effective? I'm looking at getting the Pedders drag spring and poly kit from Gravana tuning when I get back from the desert. Would that almost eliminate it?

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
^^^ +1 Watch my track videos, Drag bags fixed my situation, only because I couldnt afford to get Pedderized, otherwise I would have.

+2 I haven't had wheel hop since I put the bags in. I've heard some haven't been as lucky but for me perfect.

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
I have the Street II package, along with the Harrop rear and I still have massive wheel hop. :(

It differs from car to car I guess.

·
I'd rather be scuba diving.
1,842 Posts
I had bad wheel hop when I was stock. Then when I changed my wheels and tires some of it went away. Also the more power I added the better it got also.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
the only time i'll get any wheel hop on the street is when is raining. when the pavement is dry, i can roast the tires at any rpm, but i won't have any wheel hop at all. still on stock suspension. wet pavement is a different story, and like the op, it feels really bad.

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
I have a full track II with front drop. My car still hops pretty darn hard at the track especially in the 1st to 2nd shift, it just kills my time, and on the street it will usually start hopping at the very top of first I hate it but I love how my car handles with my suspension and do not want to add bags. I plan on wheels and tires this spring with 275s hopefully that will help some but I am just getting used to the fact that I prob wont be making the times I would like at the track. I have no want or need to go with DRs or slicks cause its my DD so I say a big OH WELL most of the spanking I do is on the highway anyways hehe.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Is it possible to reduce hop by attaching a damper to the differential mount?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is2006 Silver M6 18" I have the same wheel hop problem. I've discovered the hard way to leave the T/C on. I got sideways hitting second and scared the hell out of me. My car is a madman. T/C may hold down your
time but it will control your rearend (wheel hop and sideways), and remember
be careful out there!

·
GTO = Pontiac shenanigans
3,689 Posts
Wtf

^^^ +1 Watch my track videos, Drag bags fixed my situation, only because I couldn't afford to get Pedderized, otherwise I would have.

I have the Street II package, along with the Harrop rear and I still have massive wheel hop. :(
I have a full track II with front drop. My car still hops pretty darn hard at the track especially in the 1st to 2nd shift, it just kills my time, and on the street it will usually start hopping at the very top of first I hate it but I love how my car handles with my suspension and do not want to add bags. I plan on wheels and tires this spring with 275s hopefully that will help some but I am just getting used to the fact that I prob wont be making the times I would like at the track. I have no want or need to go with DRs or slicks cause its my DD so I say a big OH WELL most of the spanking I do is on the highway anyways hehe.

You can turn your Goat into an erector set and play around with what amount to Band Aids or you can fix it the right way. Can you use parts from high quality vendors other than Pedders -- certainly. But when your vehicle still has wheel hop or some other suspension related problem who is responsible to resolve it? Pedders is a single source, single solution, single phone call that works.

You can find a list of Pedders Dealers on our website. They know your GTO inside and out.

Not to be an ass in anyway but I was looking at Pedders also a while back but all I heard is that you cant put drag bags in and they DONT TOTALLY eliminate wheel hop so I thought why drop 2-3k if Im not gonna get rid of the problem. So went and purchased King lowering springs in the front and rear along with dragbags and have ZERO wheel hop. The ride is slightly firmer then OEM and handles great. When I go to the track pop 14psi in and some DR's and I'm good to go. When I leave drop the pressure to about 5psi and I have my lowered ride. Total price was 260 for the springs (ft and bk) and 80 bucks for the dragbags. So why would this be considered a BandAid as you put it? It FIXED the issue and I didn't drop 2-3k for it to be fixed. As I said earlier not to be an ass but I have yet to hear people say that there wheel hop was TOTALLY ELIMINATED with a Pedders package and have heard more say all they did was add airbags (80-90 bucks) and that did the trick myself personally. I don't mind Pedders pushing and promoting there product at all BUT there are other alternatives out there that people can do and not be considered putting a :quoties: band aid :quoties: on it (half assed).

·
Banned
640 Posts
U just gotta learn when the tires are gonna break loose and when they are gonna grab. If it starts to hop let off!!!!!! Unless u like to have the rear end replaced?

·
Registered
406 Posts
spring rubbers took most of my wheel hop away 05 a4, im waiting on a set of custom made springs now that i have 275 nitto drag radials on.dont want the tires to rub under hard launch and dont want to roll or grind fenders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree its all about harmonics, but for what ever reason some cars (like mine) has a natural frequency that aggravates it more that others. Mine had pretty bad wheel hop 100% stock. Then I went to town on the rear suspension. Harrop, X-member bushings, springs, shocks, and a sway bar for good measure... Feels much more planted and effective (still stock power at the time) but, still had wheel hop although not as violent.

Biggest change, honestly was the new wheels and tires. Also the new wheels weight is different (I think they are a little less than stock). Now I had a noticeable different reaction, duhh I have 275's now. And I don't hop as much (I guess my car's natural frequency had changed). Then I put more power in it. I have had several moments of actual smooth wheel spin and a little hopping at times... Just my experiences.
I did poly bushings on everything on the rear half of my car: cradle, diff mount, etc. It improved the feel of the car but it still hops as bad as ever. My thoughts now are that drivetrain slop and wheels must be the biggest factors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did poly bushings on everything on the rear half of my car: cradle, diff mount, etc. It improved the feel of the car but it still hops as bad as ever. My thoughts now are that drivetrain slop and wheels must be the biggest factors.

Josh's car corner is the shit. Unfortunately, wheel hop isn't going away completely until you upgrade axles. Take a look at GForce.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,151 Posts
I'm loving these decade plus revivals lately.

Springs
Axles
Bushings
Mounts
Wheels and Tires

They all are a part of the equation. I still have 'axle tramp' in the rain and I've upgraded everything but the axles. In the dry, no idea, I like my old car too much these days to beat on it like that.

·
Need To Drive More
1,472 Posts
Chased wheel hop from day one with bushings and shocks and bags and other items but when I added the larger GForce axle on the passenger side, wheel hop was no more. Axle Axle Axle

Reactions: Glynn

·
Clean is good...
2,469 Posts
The different sized axles are the key. I changed bushings, got drag springs, drag bags etc. but it was finally cured with the axles.

Reactions: Glynn

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did Gforce axles, stubs, diff mount, toe rods and 4" driveshaft all at once. Not sure if it was just one of those or all of those but its gone now lol.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts