LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lockable wheel nuts - $ 85.00* ($60.00 US + S&H)
Alloy wheel lock nuts provide security and can only be removed with the suitable wrench supplied as part of the kit.
* The recommended retail price (RRP) for accessories includes GST but does not include fitting and labour costs.
(Comment: These look like they probably would not affect wheel balance)

GM Part, Group 5.875, Part #12497478 work.
Neither of these choices will accept the stock trim cap for the GTO lugs... :(

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Be wary of those locking nuts that require a "special wrench". The one's I bought have that same claim to fame, but I found a 12-point 3/4" deep-well socket works just fine. (Now that I have revealed the chink in my security...)

·
"My head is like a Sieve"
185 Posts
Factory GM Wheel locks

I purchased and installed the Factory GM Wheel locks (mainly just for a little piece of mind when parked in the "Not so-good part of town") and they locked down & work fine.... Of Course, the cheesy Plastic Caps over our stock lug nuts do not fit over them at all! (I really do not like the plastic caps at all!)

They are the same ones as below:

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modelaccessories?aid=20597&&modelid=12001&bitmask=1

Seems like they are from a "different" GM car...(Yea... I know from a Holden, right?) that the factory found "Fit" the GTO and used them... Not really noticable to most people... Except ME naturally!

·
Transplanted Motor City dude
744 Posts
I had the official GM wheel locks installed on my GTO as well, and wondered about the lug caps not fitting on them. Thanks for confirming it's not just me.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
Better to go to Discount Tire. $40 for a set of Gorilla with a set of "real" lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discount tire only sells the Gorilla locks that use 1 lock per wheel. Gorilla makes a completel set that makes every lug a lock. I got mine for $40 here in OKC, but the cheapest set I found on the net was $70.

I have them on my TSw now and plan on putting them on the CCW's this week when they show up here at the house.

·
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
1,431 Posts
You can get the set of 20 locking lug nuts on Thunder Racing for like $32. Why would you pay $70 for them?

Sorry if they're not a sponsor mods. Dont know of anyone else that sells these though that is a sponsor here. Remove if you need to.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
I just paid $47 dollars (shipped from Summit) for the "Gorilla System" # GOR-71633N which contains 20 locks. Be sure to also buy the "Gorilla Power Wrench" ($15) because they're 13/16 and the OE lug wrench is 3/4.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gorilla Wheel Locks

I went on the Gorilla web page to look for wheel locks for the GTO and they don't even list GTOs under their vehicle search. How do you know which of their locks works with the GTO?

·
Traded Power for Luxury
450 Posts
I got the same as jontall except I got the black chrome (GOR-71633NBC)
12MMX1.50 is what you need

·
Omnicidal maniac
1,311 Posts
Locking lug nuts are the panacea of idiots. Most require nothing more than a different size socket, and the really good ones only require a cursory inspection to figure out how to remove them. Your money would be better spent on anything from a security camera to a better crackpipe. If someone wants your wheels, all the locking lugnuts in the world will serve only to litter your parking space after the thief removes them.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You think so huh Gametech, come on over to my house and try to get my wheels off with a larger socket. You wont even be able to get it into the lug well opening, much less get the lugs off.

Locks are better than nothing and they do deter and or cause the theif to either give up or take the chance of getting caught. I would rather have them than not and come out to a car up on blocks.

·
Traded Power for Luxury
450 Posts
what's that old saying? "locks are for honest people"
While a thief may be able steal your wheels if he/she really, really wants them and has the time and privacy to do so,
Sneakyws6 said:
Locks are better than nothing and they do deter and or cause the theif to either give up or take the chance of getting caught. I would rather have them than not and come out to a car up on blocks.
Besides, I got the lug nuts because I was getting extremely pissed at the tire place for using needle nose pliers to pull off the stock plastic lug nut covers, (even when I gave them the special tool for it) and scratched the shit out of my wheels. Not to mention they are ****ing up the covers themselves which are ridiculously over priced for GM replacements.

Had I done a little more research, I would have gotten the non-locking kind and thought I got the set with one lock per wheel. Oh well, they all require the same special key so I get to hold the hand of the tire place even more now....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Resurecting the dead here.

I bought set of lug nuts, with locks. Advanced Auto, chrome, requires the key that looks like a mutalated freezer key.

My gripe is the locks weigh more than the other nuts and I think I feel this on the road. Is it common for the lock to weigh more than the lug? Anyone have a brand where the lock is worth a crap and weight is equal to the other lugs?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Better to go to Discount Tire. $40 for a set of Gorilla with a set of "real" lug nuts.
+1 You can also get Gorillas at Murray's and other fine auto parts outlets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts