LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of wheels picked out but I think I might have a clearance problem. There is a 8mm diff between the original wheels and the new ones which is about 3/8 of an inch. What I would like to know is, has anybody tried to roll up the lip or grind off some of the inner edge?
I know from previous posts that some of you are having similar problems and would be interested in what you did to correct it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a fender roller that I borrowed for the inner lip, see the link below for info.
http://www.bmw-m.net/Gallery/haweka.htm

And yes you may have a rub problem with a 40 mm offset, I had to roll the right rear fender, however the left side was ok and I know some cars are ok with the 40 mm offset, just depends on how the car fit together.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could somebody that already has there car do me a favor? I would like to know how much of a lip is on the rear fender. You could use a ruler and stick it inside the rear wheel well to take the measurement. I would like to know how much room you can gain by either rolling the lip or grinding some off. Another thing that I hadn't taken into consideration is, that with it being a Independent suspension when the wheel comes up as in hitting a bump the wheel will not only go up but also in toward the center of the car thus giving you more clearance. I'm looking at a set of wheels that have a 40 offset so I think from reading other posts that I wouldn't have to gain much to make it work, maybe 1/4".

·
Registered
835 Posts
4th GTO said:
Could somebody that already has there car do me a favor? I would like to know how much of a lip is on the rear fender. You could use a ruler and stick it inside the rear wheel well to take the measurement. I would like to know how much room you can gain by either rolling the lip or grinding some off. Another thing that I hadn't taken into consideration is, that with it being a Independent suspension when the wheel comes up as in hitting a bump the wheel will not only go up but also in toward the center of the car thus giving you more clearance. I'm looking at a set of wheels that have a 40 offset so I think from reading other posts that I wouldn't have to gain much to make it work, maybe 1/4".
You are correct, as long as you use the same 245 tires, I have a 40mm offset on mine and only the right rear tire rubbed a little, I rolled it and now it is fine. On the right side I had about a 1.25" lip at the widest point and on the left it was less than 1".

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
cjlannoy said:
You are correct, as long as you use the same 245 tires, I have a 40mm offset on mine and only the right rear tire rubbed a little, I rolled it and now it is fine. On the right side I had about a 1.25" lip at the widest point and on the left it was less than 1".
Thanks I appreciate the info :thumbs:
That must explain why the right rubs and the left doesn't. The right sticks out .25 of an inch more.
These are what I think I'm going to buy.http://www.privatwheels.com/html/fahren.html
The centers are a couple of shades darker silver than my Silver car for some contrast along with the machined lip and then I plan on painting the calipers red. I have seen these at a Dealership on a Black 04 GTO and I fell in love with them. Now all I need is my CAR, but it should only be 3 to 5 weeks now as it is coming off the boat now!

·
Registered
110 Posts
So if I get a set of 19x8.5 with a 40mm offset all I have to worry about is rolling the rear fender?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts