LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a part number for wheel touch up paint? I had a stupid lug crossthread today and scratched the heck out of a couple of holes.

On a side note - for those whose plastic lug covers are loose, a piece of aluminum foil pressed inside seems to work to tighten them back up.
Dan

·
Registered
541 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Anybody have a part number for wheel touch up paint? I had a stupid lug crossthread today and scratched the heck out of a couple of holes.

On a side note - for those whose plastic lug covers are loose, a piece of aluminum foil pressed inside seems to work to tighten them back up.
Dan
---Yes, or masking tape. For anyone else who hasn't found out the hard way: those plastic caps do NOT screw off like other cars I've had--the lug nuts are not threaded for them. They aren't round but hexagonal. They just snap on and pull straight off. I had my dealer order me 6 extras. I would also like to get some wheel paint; by rights the dealer should be able to look it up, but who knows...if it is not considered the same as body touch-up, we may have trouble getting it.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
DANSLS1 said:

Dan
The Helms is no help Dan, sorry. It goes into how but not with what except in general terms. Interestingly they recommend marking a stud and corresponding hole so it can go back exactly as taken off...hmmmm. Wish I'd seen that earlier. I put a little dialectric grease inside my caps, not a lot, you'll never break the vacuum trying to get them off if they seal all the way around.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Old Goat said:
The Helms is no help Dan, sorry. It goes into how but not with what except in general terms. Interestingly they recommend marking a stud and corresponding hole so it can go back exactly as taken off...hmmmm. Wish I'd seen that earlier. I put a little dialectric grease inside my caps, not a lot, you'll never break the vacuum trying to get them off if they seal all the way around.
"Interestingly they recommend marking a stud and corresponding hole so it can go back exactly as taken off...hmmmm."

Just what I was thinking, "Hmmmm." They should know better than I, but I wonder if somebody's compulsion (or private joke) didn't make it past a weary editor. Did Helms explain the procedure when one rotates the tires? Continue the marked stud and hole matching, I suppose. Anybody else familiar with this ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
capra2d said:
"Interestingly they recommend marking a stud and corresponding hole so it can go back exactly as taken off...hmmmm."

Just what I was thinking, "Hmmmm." They should know better than I, but I wonder if somebody's compulsion (or private joke) didn't make it past a weary editor. Did Helms explain the procedure when one rotates the tires? Continue the marked stud and hole matching, I suppose. Anybody else familiar with this ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Darn good point, I'll go look. I'm sure it is directed at avoiding a vibration or balance issue. The 'marking and putting back exactly as was theme' is repeated at every point where they give procedures about removal and replacement of driveline parts. Probably not a big issue on grocery getters that never see 80 MPH, but it's not the first time I've heard it preached or seen it in print for cars intended to double it. Who knows what vibration and harmonics could loosen over time. There is the valve stem mass to consider, but what behind the rim flange could represent an off-center mass and be involved in the balance process? I know wheel locks of differing weight requires speed balancing on the car rather than a discrete balancer or you'll never get it right. Engine balancers are similarly anal. Everything gets marked and the whole bottom end goes together one way only. Hmmmm. I'll add some reading to my list on this. Tire rotation first and get back. :confused:

I found no special instructions regarding the marking procedure or instructions on specially indexing swapped tires and rims in the tire rotaion instructions, just the usual differing patterns for unidirectional and directional tire rotations. The answer is not obvious. I know what the book says, I am just unable to locate a rational reason for it in the book. Capra's thoughts about a compulsion or private joke are as good as the Helm's silence elsewhere on this one. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put a decent number of lug nuts on and a whole lot of nuts on fasteners (I do work in the fastenter industry after all) and I'm fairly certain this was a case of a misthreaded part that wasn't seated correctly in the first place. I'm 99.9% sure I had it lined up correctly and it misthreaded itself.
As far as lugs - I was rotating and I left the lugs on each hub they came off of. I did find it interesting that the wheels are weighted for balance on both the inside and outside - what i would consider to be the correct way.
Dan

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I'll have to look for that NG GM 340 silver metallic... Hey Dan, did you get a chance to throw some wax on the insides of your wheels like you noticed on mine at Moose Preserves??
-Ryan

·
Registered
275 Posts
DANSLS1 said:

Dan
Hi Dan,

Holden call's the colour of the GTO wheel "Thai Satin Silver" and the "W" number for the colour code is W927K.

I Hope this helps.

Aussiefan

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BowdawG said:
I'll have to look for that NG GM 340 silver metallic... Hey Dan, did you get a chance to throw some wax on the insides of your wheels like you noticed on mine at Moose Preserves??
-Ryan
Yep - and it looks good. Thanks for the tip - wish I'd have known it sooner.
Dan

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
aussiefan said:
Hi Dan,

Holden call's the colour of the GTO wheel "Thai Satin Silver" and the "W" number for the colour code is W927K.

I Hope this helps.

Aussiefan
I wanted to say thanks Aussiefan... my car is going back to the bodyshop tomorrow to have the rear wheel sent back out for repainting. This time it is going out with another of the wheels, but their first try, while outstanding in looks and quality was not quite the right color. So this code should come in handy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
DANSLS1 said:

Dan

check the TSB "sticky"- i beleive there is a TSB with paint numbers for all the major brands of paint for repainting/repairing of our wheels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts