LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Freedom Fighter
801 Posts
Got a coat of clear on the 18 and the 17s as well. I think it is going to take a long time to cure, wish it was warmer out.
Yeah my 1 part clear took forever even in the summer. Did it come out how you wanted though?

I have been spending a lot of time experimenting (with marginal success) with cerakote. Its super durable but very finicky.

·
GR-RRR!
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
It laid down pretty well and as you probably know, getting clear down without being spotty or with runs is harder than with any other color. It looks a little more glossy than I wanted but I wanted to get consistent coverage and probably got it down a little heavier overall than preferred. And the clear on the other wheels is probably 15 years old by now. It is funny, on the 17s the color of the silver looks the same as before the clear but it seems the clear darkened the silver on the 18. All the same paint all around and all the same prep, etc. so I'm not sure why but we'll see how it looks once it fully cures. I currently have them in the garage with a space heater nearby running on the low setting to help keep them warmish while they cure. It is a polyurethane clear so I suspect it will take weeks to cure especially since it is cool out right now.

Adding a picture. Must have been the lighting and angle before because they all look pretty good now, but the clear is a little spotty and has a run near the valve stem on the 18. I'll probably leave it alone as I'm sure I'd just make it look worse by trying to do anything about it.

·
GR-RRR!
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The space heater seemed to do the trick. Everything cured just fine and looks pretty good if I do say so myself. The glossiness seems to have toned down overnight and the color matches the OEM wheels just fine. I hope the clear ends up being durable. It will have all Winter to fully cure at least.

·
Freedom Fighter
801 Posts
The space heater seemed to do the trick. Everything cured just
The space heater seemed to do the trick. Everything cured just fine and looks pretty good if I do say so myself. The glossiness seems to have toned down overnight and the color matches the OEM wheels just fine. I hope the clear ends up being durable. It will have all Winter to fully cure at least.
Are all of the old cool emojis gone, such as, This thread is useless without pics

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
lol Rich, I had that same heater for 20 some years a long time ago. Not sure whatever happened to it.

·
GR-RRR!
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are all of the old cool emojis gone, such as, This thread is useless without pics
Well, there are photos above. I didn't get a photo of it on the car since the car is in the storage shop and it is kind of cramped in there. Wasn't very nice out so I didn't want to pull it out into the open. If I get it out again anytime soon I'll get a snap of the wheel back on the car.

Meh, torpedo heaters for the win.

Soot and carbon monoxide all the things!
I borrowed one of those once, worked pretty well to heat a large uninsulated space. That little electric space heater does okay to raise the temps in the immediate area a few degrees. Takes the edge off if I have to work on a car in the Winter.

·
GR-RRR!
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So, I got a pair of junkyard center caps. One was chrome (G8?) and both were kind of scuzzy looking so I shot them with the same silver paint as on the wheels and then painted in the black and red by hand. They look a lot better in the picture than in person, but they finish off the wheels at least.

·
Freedom Fighter
801 Posts
Yep, nice job bud!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts