LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
donde esta la biblioteca
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just had my coilovers installed and the guy suggested that I add spacers to the rear. I'm fine doing that but I want to make sure I don't loose the wheels while rolling down the road. or mess up anything in the back

im running stock 18's (for some reason I think im the only person here that absolutely loves them, I really feel like they're the perfect wheel for the gto) and I would need to come about an inch to line up with the fender.

Ive seen people on here talking about not going more than 5mm, but I think that's for the spacers that don't bolt on. I've found 1" spacers online, so people make them, I just don't know if anyone has anyhting good to say about them.

its a DD so I really don't want to tub the rear or roll the fender

thoughts....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spacers in the back because the coils are too close to the tires? Are you installing longer studs? As long as you have a full nut worth of thread, no worries.

By the way, I too like the stock 18s best of all. I've only found 1 other wheel manuf that had anything I like. And of course, the cost was ginormous out of this world. Good luck.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,023 Posts
Stock 18s clear everything. Why would you need spacers? What's the actual motivation for the suggestion?
Clearance, safety, appearance, etc?

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
I believe what you're referring to is an adapter, not a spacer. Make sure your adapter is hub centric or you risk vibration.

If 1" brings you to the fender, don't go 1". Do something like 20mm (they're out there, I have them on my '57) and make sure to roll the fender BEFORE install!

And no, I'm pretty sure the 18" OE wheels are pretty much universally liked in the GTO community. I'd gladly get into a set, but they're like $800+ a set if you ever see them come up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe what you're referring to is an adapter, not a spacer. Make sure your adapter is hub centric or you risk vibration.

If 1" brings you to the fender, don't go 1". Do something like 20mm (they're out there, I have them on my '57) and make sure to roll the fender BEFORE install!

And no, I'm pretty sure the 18" OE wheels are pretty much universally liked in the GTO community. I'd gladly get into a set, but they're like $800+ a set if you ever see them come up.
Make sure you look around quite a bit before deciding to spend that kind of scratch on a set of stock 18s. There are good deals out there. There are people out there that aren't trying to gouge you for every cent. I found a good set for under 400. Be patient.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spacers in the back because the coils are too close to the tires? Are you installing longer studs? As long as you have a full nut worth of thread, no worries.

By the way, I too like the stock 18s best of all. I've only found 1 other wheel manuf that had anything I like. And of course, the cost was ginormous out of this world. Good luck.
no I wasn't planning on installing longer studs, ive found adapters that bolt to the hub and have studs coming out to bolt the wheel to.

I always thought people didn't like them just because I always see people changing their wheels, I get the weight thing and want for wider tires but I feel like these are perfect for the car.

Stock 18s clear everything. Why would you need spacers? What's the actual motivation for the suggestion?
Clearance, safety, appearance, etc?
its for appearance

what is a hub centric? I mean its what ill look for but what's the difference??
is it completely necessary to roll the fender?? not something I really wanted to do.

and yea they rant cheap at all. when I wrecked my last one I swapped the wheels (new gto came with 17's :barf:, so I swapped them out but ended up having to replace 2 of them because they couldn't be balanced from the wreck.

thanks everyone for getting back

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,023 Posts
Going down this route when you're not familiar with the terminology/parts and introducing unneeded complexity that has the potential for a decrease in reliability for the sake of aesthetics... I'll avoid being your dad.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going down this route when you're not familiar with the terminology/parts and introducing unneeded complexity that has the potential for a decrease in reliability for the sake of aesthetics... I'll avoid being your dad.
never asked you to be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts