LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed recently (with my automatic GTO), when I am say... pulling out a parking lot onto a main road and I gun it hard (almost WOT) the car doesnt go anywhere, it just sit's there and the rev's skyrocket. Almost like it's in neutral (but its in D). I have to let off the gas and then it will calm down and go.

On the highway when I go WOT it drops into a low gear and FLY's (I have never had a car that pulls so hard from 80+, it's amazing).

Here are some factors:

I cannot remember if it did this before I installed my Gravana Intake.
I installed the performance Preditor tune thinking it might help, but I hated the fact that the wheels spun so much, so I put it back to stock.

So right now I have the gravana intake and 93 octaine premium (always) on an otherwise stock car. I am 99% certain it does this when the TC is on, because I rarely turn it off. I checked my intake and it seems to be fine.

If anyone can give me any tips or theorys, I would MUCH appreciate it, thanks! :hail:

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Try turning the TC off for the "fun factor". The TC is possibly seeing tire spin as you stomp on it and is not letting that power get to the ground...?? My A4 does not do too well off the line either. But, after 40 mph or so, look out!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i have no idea what the problem is.
but can i suggest that you try getting on it with the TC off and see how much of a difference it makes.
that will probably anybodys first suggestion.
just a thought

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Doesn't sound like a TC problem though. You'll know when the TC hits - the gas pedal will "kick back" at you and you definitely won't gain rpms.

Check your tranny-fluid level first, 5point7. Then see if you can duplicate it with TC on and TC off.

Padre

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
5point7 said:
I have noticed recently (with my automatic GTO), when I am say... pulling out a parking lot onto a main road and I gun it hard (almost WOT) the car doesnt go anywhere, it just sit's there and the rev's skyrocket. Almost like it's in neutral (but its in D). I have to let off the gas and then it will calm down and go.
(snip)
If anyone can give me any tips or theorys, I would MUCH appreciate it, thanks! :hail:
Sounds serious, but by any chance, while you gun it hard, the car doesn't go anywhere and the revs skyrocket, do you notice a very large plume of white smoke in the rear view mirror, perhaps with an acrid smoky smell???? You may want to check this vid http://www.ls1gto.com/movies/50000posts.wmv

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I just went for a drive. YES it does do it with TC OFF and ON. I always get scared bio when it does it so I let off the gas quickly. I have held it for a second though and hear something coming from the back of the car like exhaust shooting out but never noticed smoke (never looked) if this makes sense.

I know the feeling of the TC, but I thought maybe it KNEW it was too much of a load for low speed so it doesnt even spin the tires.

Here's my plan... tomorrow I am going to remove my intake and put it back to stock. If I am still seeing the problem (I dont see how the intake can be the problem or caused it) I will take my car to the dealer. I also need to have them allign my car, it's out of whack.

Alright so these are out:
Checked the auto fluid, it's fine.
Traction on or off, it does it.

At wierd as it sounds... it seems to me like I have been getting TOO good of gas mileage on the car. I drove with the preditor on real time diag. and it seemed normal to me (no mechanic) and I have NEVER gotten a light.

So we'll see after it goes back to STOCK and if I have to, what the dealer says.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bioinformaticus said:
Sounds serious, but by any chance, while you gun it hard, the car doesn't go anywhere and the revs skyrocket, do you notice a very large plume of white smoke in the rear view mirror, perhaps with an acrid smoky smell???? You may want to check this vid http://www.ls1gto.com/movies/50000posts.wmv
ohhh HA HA HA HA HA, I should have watched the video first. Very Funny!

I cannot seem to do a good burnout or any at all w/ the automatic :(

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Not saying this is the problem, but have you backed off the predator tune?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The Stock programming in these cars has been a problem. Have you monitored timing and knock retard?

I would also do an idle re-learn and follow the driving cycle that can be found on www.obdii.com

To do an idle re-learn;
- Turn ignition switch to "on"
- Disconnect negative side of battery
- Let it sit like this for a minute or two
- Turn off ignition
- Reconnect negative side of the battery
- Do the driving cycle as much of it as you can

Basically you are resetting everything back to the base curves in it's programming which from there it "re-learns".

·
Registered
138 Posts
It almost sounds like there is a problem with your MAF, my T-bird had very similar problems, and when I replaced the MAF they all want away. I would check the connections to the MAF and the IAC on your intake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't experienced this with my bone stock A4. I have had it for 6 months and 6400 miles.

However, I can easily smoke the tires in my A4. Here's how:

One foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator...

Run engine up to about 2200-2500 rpm (until the tires and brakes begin to protest)...

Then, immediate foot off the brake and WOT...

About 50 feet of spinning, burning, smoking tires...

My 6 year old girl is constantly begging me, "Daddy! Do a 'show-off' again!"

"Sweet pea, if I do any more 'show-offs' I'll have to go buy new tires for the GTO instead of a new swing set for the back yard..."

"I don't care Daddy! Do a 'show-off' again!" :bubbrub

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
planman said:
...My 6 year old girl is constantly begging me, "Daddy! Do a 'show-off' again!"

"Sweet pea, if I do any more 'show-offs' I'll have to go buy new tires for the GTO instead of a new swing set for the back yard..."

"I don't care Daddy! Do a 'show-off' again!" :bubbrub
That's too cute. :D

I have an M6, and one thing I have noticed is that the "low end torque" seems to be missing. In other words, if I'm turning about 2000 RPM in 3rd gear and go WOT, the car doesn't LEAP, it (too?) slowly winds up the RPM and accelerates. Now, if I'm turning 3500 RPM in 3rd and go WOT, the damn thing snaps my head back.

Anyway, someone tell me this is normal. Or would you expect that head snapping acceleration going WOT from 2000 RPM in a higher gear?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
You may just be out of the power band, which would be completely normal. This is why you have 6 gears to pick from. ;)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Well, when I was driving my sister's cavelier a few years back and the auto tranny went, it started slipping when you would be cruising at highway speeds but would accelerate from a stop fine.
Anyway - it sounds like what happens when I do a 3500K plus clutch dump. The tires spin away until I bump the rev limiter (or let off). Are you sure the TC isn't off? I would double check having it on and off first, then look at the engine ideas suggested, if it were me.
dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
He posted more in another thread and I think his torque converter isn't locking up. It could be the TCC solenoid or another solenoid causing this problem. I don't think anything is wrong with the TC itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
5point7 said:
Alright, I just went for a drive. YES it does do it with TC OFF and ON. I always get scared bio when it does it so I let off the gas quickly. I have held it for a second though and hear something coming from the back of the car like exhaust shooting out but never noticed smoke (never looked) if this makes sense.

I know the feeling of the TC, but I thought maybe it KNEW it was too much of a load for low speed so it doesnt even spin the tires.

Here's my plan... tomorrow I am going to remove my intake and put it back to stock. If I am still seeing the problem (I dont see how the intake can be the problem or caused it) I will take my car to the dealer. I also need to have them allign my car, it's out of whack.

Alright so these are out:
Checked the auto fluid, it's fine.
Traction on or off, it does it.

At wierd as it sounds... it seems to me like I have been getting TOO good of gas mileage on the car. I drove with the preditor on real time diag. and it seemed normal to me (no mechanic) and I have NEVER gotten a light.

So we'll see after it goes back to STOCK and if I have to, what the dealer says.
Alright, start from the basics. drive your car for like 10-15 minutes to heat up your tranny fluid. once it's hot park and let it idle while in park for a few minutes then check your tranny fluid level. it could be as simple as your fluid level is low. especially if your torque converter isn't catching right away. if it isn't low, then you might have a bad torque converter, but your trany should still be good. It could also have something to do with how your computer is programed because that can help decide shift firmness, but like i said start from the bottom and do the logical things first, fluid level, take it to the dealer and have them check the torque converter and tell them the simptoms you are saying here.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Take it to the dealer sounds like the thing is slipping to me. I know that there are many bulletins out on the auto and maybe even a recall. im llokin it up in dealerworld damn work changed the password. Tuesday l'l print up the bulletins and scan them and post them i know theres like atleast 5 for the auto tranny. Go there and take the service adviosor on a drive with you and request that the tranny tech goes with you so he knows ur exact complaint. If you dont have a good line of communication with ur dealer you can take them as rippin you off or blowing u off espeacially when it comes to W work but ill get u the bulletins and give them the numbers and be like it sounds likethis situation and theyll take care of you

·
Registered
55 Posts
This sounds similar to what I have had happen to me recently. Although I cant repeat the problem when I want to. It's sporadic at best. I kept my foot on the pedal and an eye on the RPM's to see when it would catch the last time it did this. As it went up to 5500 rpm the car started to move forward more and the rpm's started to go down.

I've had my GTO for about 7 months now, and I started to have this problem in the last month or so. I've had this happen to me when the car has been on maybe 10 mins and also after it has been driven for a couple of hours. The only consistent thing is that each time my speeds have been under 30 mph when I "gun" it. I'd say 14 out of 15 times it takes off like it's supposed to. So it doesnt happen too often. Just often enough to bug me.

I might go ahead and make an appointment to have the car checked out. I might do the re-learn just to try out all my options.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts