LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be receiving my GTO by next week. I plan to adhere to a strict break in schedule: no redline starts, no driving constantly at single speed for many miles at a time, varying speeds, no driving like a grandma but no racing every Mustang at each intersection either......for the first 500-1000 miles.

My question is: I live in Arizona and pretty much have no need for traction control. Is it safe to turn it off during the break in period? Or should I wait at least until after I have reached the first 500 miles and have changed the original oil in the crankcase (which I plan to do by the way).

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Your too over concious, traction control should be off and turned on at driver will should the need arise far as i'm concerned.

babying the car isn't perfict either for break in, your trying to seat the rings and valves. I wouldn't go redlining speed shifting it, but compression breaks in the rings. So a nice squirt of the throttle in second gear is what engine builders have recommended and vary engine speed.

GEN III engines have been given a bad rep for piston slap, no perfict break in is going to prevent piston slap its a engineering problem. And GM has gone ahead made changes to the pistons, makes my point.

·
I'm swimming in lava...
158 Posts
Turn it off. Turn it on. Won't make a difference when breaking it in really.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Don't concern yourself about the TC. It's on by default so leave it that way until your ready streach your legs so to speak.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Leave it on. You won't need to turn it off unless you get stuck in the mud or snow and need to "rock" the car to get it out. Or if you want to do a serious burn out, turn it off. And the last situation in which I would turn off T/C is if you're "road racing" and want to drift through the turns (swing the back end out.)

For everyday driving, leave it on.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Florit's everyday and my everyday driving must differ :)

I find the safest time to turn it of is as I'm giving the car enought time to get the oil presure up before I drive. Nothing quite like punching it to slip into the flow of trafic and the damm thing bogging out as the t/c kicks in.. I only turn mine on in the rain and even then it depends on my mood. I've driven V8's w/o T/C for a long time. I find it cool but anoying... Maybe in 10 years or so they will get it right.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Personally

I left mine on and alone (except for an initial voyage of discovery) until I settled in with the car and it with me. Didn't take long, but it's better than frying tires and going down every street like the drifting GTO. Torque Management and it's companion Abuse Prevention is a different matter. I dedicated a lot of time learning to get around those hyperactive and evil twins on the A4. These days, I only turn T/C on in low traction conditions.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I left mine on for the first 500 miles then I started shutting it off as soon as I got in the car. I always use it in the rain! When you have this much torque sometimes you can prompt the rear to come around and say HELLO . . . Now that my car is broke in, I sometimes will have to take up a stoplight challange and the T/C will show itself on the 1st to 2nd shift and to my amazement the 2nd to 3rd shift. At these times you don't need any computer device to regulate your power!

Enjoy your new Goat!

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I'd say (completely and intentionally ignoring the break-in period motivation for this thread) that it is safe to turn off any time you are not concerned about the possibility of negative results as a result of unexpected loss of traction. Whether that means you want it on only in the rain or only when you aren't playing or whatever is entirely a personal preference.

Personally, I leave it on 90% of the time. Only if I am driving without wife/kid/dog and am deliberately "up to no good" do I turn it off. I can count on one hand (OK, maybe both hands and a few toes - if you count the first couple of weeks of ownership) the number of times that T/C has been intrusive during normal "daily driving"...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have driven a lot of traction control cars and find the GTO the most intrusive, which makes me turn it off more. This pushing back on the throttle is a pain. That said, I credit the traction control as the perfect break-in tool. By the way, I have an A/4.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
A4's

JRM346 said:
I have driven a lot of traction control cars and find the GTO the most intrusive, which makes me turn it off more. This pushing back on the throttle is a pain. That said, I credit the traction control as the perfect break-in tool. By the way, I have an A/4.
In a stock A4, it's not just the T/C. The overactive Torque Management and Abuse Prevention software is a factor in getting a kickback too. Do a Predator tune, tuen the T/C off, and hang on for dear life.... ;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Old Goat said:
I left mine on and alone (except for an initial voyage of discovery) until I settled in with the car and it with me. Didn't take long, but it's better than frying tires and going down every street like the drifting GTO. Torque Management and it's companion Abuse Prevention is a different matter. I dedicated a lot of time learning to get around those hyperactive and evil twins on the A4. These days, I only turn T/C on in low traction conditions.
Drifting is one of those things I like best about the GTO. ...and I'm looking for an excuse to get new tires :)

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
It's in there

mlc said:
Drifting is one of those things I like best about the GTO. ...and I'm looking for an excuse to get new tires :)
Oh yeah....it's in there!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Old Goat:

Thanks for the info. re intrusive engine management. My Predator is now on order. The throttle pushing back often happens most when it should not, like when I am trying to move down the road without delay.

·
WOT's up?
559 Posts
Starting procedure:

1) With left foot, press in clutch.
2) Check that the shifter is in neutral.
3) Turn key.
4) Switch off traction control.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Understood

JRM346 said:
Old Goat:

Thanks for the info. re intrusive engine management. My Predator is now on order. The throttle pushing back often happens most when it should not, like when I am trying to move down the road without delay.
Almost got me munched by a Dump Truck out of nowhere once. I know exactly what you mean.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
TC is only of value in bad weather or in cases of big RWD V8 novice. On or off doesn't matter really.

Just keep in mind to always turn if off if you are racing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wheel hop

Blitzu said:
I always turn mine off unless there is rain. I have found that I have NOT had any wheel hop when it is turned off, just a nice 'chirp' from the rear wheels during aggresive shifting.

I found that when traction control is on that is the only time I have experienced wheel hop. Leaving it off also gives me better control of the car. I could see how it would be different with a A4, but with a M6 just leave it off whenever it's dry out.

My 2 cents :)
I find the problem with wheel hop when T/C off. Seems like the type or grade of asphalt makes it worse more sometimes than others. I just deal with it. Oh yeah; M-6 and proud of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts