LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I really haven't found any wheels that I like for our 5x120 setup. Anyone have a site or two with a good selection. The only sight that had any selection was tires.com. I really didn't like any of them. I am looking for 18x8 and 18x9.

Thanks,

Brad

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Brad. Arrowhead Performance had a "group purchase" deal going on the Intro Exposed Series wheels. I do not know if that deal is still going on. Here is a link to the Intro site...
Intro Custom Wheels

and here is a pic of the Sport GT wheels I have on order...

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I have these coming from Todd at Discount Tire. 18x9 in the back with 18.8 up front. All brushed aluminum finish. Getting 275 and 245 18" tires, Dunlop Sport SP9000 hopefully or Falken FK451 should the Dunlops not be available.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,

Those GT Sports look pretty cool. Are they lighter than stock? I would definately want that aspect of the deal. If they are going to be larger their mass better be less.

1CoolPC

Those rims look nice for the mutli-spoke look. They look light.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Thanks. I'm just sort of burnt on 5 spokes. I think I've had 5 spoke rims of one style or another on every car I've owned in the last 10 years. My first thought on the GTO factory wheels were that they were beautiful but ugh, here we go again. I just looked for basically any wheel that wasn't 5 spoke in design. It's just me though.

·
Registered
835 Posts
you can check out www.bigwheels.net, but be carefull cause some of what they say will fit won't, you have to check the numbers. I like the wheels I have but I did have to roll the fender slightly. (they provided the tool to do it at no charge.)

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Wheels Selection

LiqTenExp said:
Hey,

I really haven't found any wheels that I like for our 5x120 setup. Anyone have a site or two with a good selection. The only sight that had any selection was tires.com. I really didn't like any of them. I am looking for 18x8 and 18x9.

Thanks,

Brad
There are not many selections yet for the GTO. In fact, i doubt there will be very many ever. This is due to the unique fitment for this vehicle. the best place to find wheels is this sight. Hopefully, I will have a really nice set of "OZ" wheels for all of you to see. Will be 18 inch with 8" and 9" for the rears. Came in today, and am mounting some Falken 451's We have installed these tires on some Trans AMs and performed quite well. OZ wheels are some of the highest quality stuff out there, and very light. had to get the wheel in a blank and have OZ adjust the offests. Are different than any of the wheels on the sight so far.

dms

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good, do you have any pictures of them? The size of the rims is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
33 Posts
guys make sure when you get after market rims that they centre bore locate that is when you the get the rim without tyre fitted place rim on car the cetre hub must be a tight fit. if you can move the rim up and down on the hub to much you will need to have locating rings in the centre hub of the wheel.if to much room on centre hub without locating rings the car will vibrate at high speeds and everone will blame the tyres where the problem lies with the rim any good performance tyre outlet should be aware of this problem. not dangerous just annoying

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I'd like some HSV wheels be honest, alot of holden service departments sell em for a good price once the new look everbody wants em has worn off. I think alot of thoes OZ wheels etc are kinda ricy.

also a HSV "I just want one" sticker in the back window:p nobody would understand it though

·
Registered
102 Posts
What is everybody doing about the centerbore issue?

The strange 69.5 mm centerbore is the reason some retailers do not list wheels for the GTO. Some (like Aussie Bill) say that you should only use wheels that match bolt pattern and centerbore. Other sellers are not as conservative. One thing is sure, if you use non hub-centric wheels, do not put any weight on the wheels unless the lugs are fully tight to the mounting flange.

Most of the wheels being sold for the GTO are not hub-centric. I have not been able to find out if the ROH wheels are, but coming from OZ they may be.

I think that I am going to mount a set of OZ (the wheel manuf.) wheels that are not hub-centric, but I wish I could get a set that had a centerbore that fit to the hub.

Carguy

·
Registered
33 Posts
CARGUY said:
What is everybody doing about the centerbore issue?

The strange 69.5 mm centerbore is the reason some retailers do not list wheels for the GTO. Some (like Aussie Bill) say that you should only use wheels that match bolt pattern and centerbore. Other sellers are not as conservative. One thing is sure, if you use non hub-centric wheels, do not put any weight on the wheels unless the lugs are fully tight to the mounting flange.

Most of the wheels being sold for the GTO are not hub-centric. I have not been able to find out if the ROH wheels are, but coming from OZ they may be.

I think that I am going to mount a set of OZ (the wheel manuf.) wheels that are not hub-centric, but I wish I could get a set that had a centerbore that fit to the hub.

Carguy
as you can imagine in aus most aftermarket wheel manafactures cater to the two most popular cars which is holden and ford so most of the wheels you buy the centre bore will be right.there is a lot of wheels that have bigger centre bores but most manafactures will put a set of hub locating rings in the box to fit. locating rings are usually made of plastic or alluminium and fit in the hub of the wheel making the rim a snug fit. if the rims you buy are to big in the centre bore and they haven't issued you with hubrings you should be able to get them from a good tyre and rim seller where i used to work we had them by the thousand in different sizes it was just a matter of finding the right set. if all else fails make your own out of alluminium.If the centre bore is to small any good machine shop can bore out the cetre of a rim to any size that you require thereby negating the use of hubrings. Also i will stress again only use wheels that have a 5/120 pattern

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Thanks!

aussie bill said:
as you can imagine in aus...(snip)... the use of hubrings. Also i will stress again only use wheels that have a 5/120 pattern
Thanks for all your help and advice. Clear and concise. Don't get lost on us! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
cjlannoy said:
I got the plastic rings with my wheels, not sure how much good they actually do but I did put them on.
beleive it or not without those rings the car could vibrate at high speeds. when i was in the industry not all that long ago you would not beleive how many customers would come in complaining of vibration first think we would notice is if they were wheels we fitted, if not our wheels 80% problem fixed by set of hubrings. glad you fitted the rings you did the right thing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have noticed that my car vibrates for the first mile or so when I start driving after it has sat for about 4 hours or more. I don't know if it is related or not, I think it did it with the stock wheels too though. After the first mile it smooths right out. Somebody told me it has to do with high performance tires and it should be less noticable when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
cjlannoy said:
I have noticed that my car vibrates for the first mile or so when I start driving after it has sat for about 4 hours or more. I don't know if it is related or not, I think it did it with the stock wheels too though. After the first mile it smooths right out. Somebody told me it has to do with high performance tires and it should be less noticable when the weather warms up.
what size tyres are they iam assuming that they are 18's and very low profile which could indicate that when the car sits overnight it takes awhile for the tyre to warm up to get rid of the flatspot this happens a bit in very cold climates

·
Registered
33 Posts
here is a bit of infomation i will pass on to all who want wheels the GTO has 69.5 centre bore with a 48 positive offset i hope this will help

1 - 20 of 30 Posts