LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you go to the dealer? I am going to switch to Mobil 1 and am curious as to who you use that carries this. Do you ask for certain filters or do you let them put on what they stock?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i take mine to a corner oil change place. i ask for the mobil 1 oil change. they give me 5w30 and the mobil filter. includes car wash, inside and out. plus the extra quart of mobil. costs about $70

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a chain (Jiffy Lube etc)?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
My garage.

·
BORN IN BKLYN NOW IN MN
248 Posts
Dealer (six free oil changes).

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Too messy to do it in my garage. I hate getting that oil stain on my garage floor. I have been taking all my vehicles to a 10 minute Pennzoil Lube place for many years and I know the owner personally. The techs allow me to go down in the pit with them so we could discuss the cars that I take there. In and out in less than 10 minutes--no mess, no fuss, and I get to watch all the action from down below.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I will never ever go again to a Jiffy Lube or any such corner place. Too many horror stories, some I've experienced personally. I mean, do you really want some kid making minumum wage even touching your Goat?

I go to my dealer, the cost is minimal, and at least I know there is a GM certified mechanic on site. Plus, it helps me establish a relationship with my dealer and the guys in the service department - a long term investment.

Padre

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I will never ever go again to a Jiffy Lube or any such corner place. Too many horror stories, some I've experienced personally. I mean, do you really want some kid making minumum wage even touching your Goat?

I go to my dealer, the cost is minimal, and at least I know there is a GM certified mechanic on site. Plus, it helps me establish a relationship with my dealer and the guys in the service department - a long term investment.

Padre
i know what you mean. i have heard horror stories myself. but the place i go to has BIG windows to look into the garage. i am very careful to watch their every movement. i make sure that the kids know that im watching them :sneaky: :sneaky:

i dont know what dealership you go to. but in my experience, the dealerships are unneccessarily expensive. which is part of the reason i bought an extended warranty.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
desertgoat said:
Too messy to do it in my garage. I hate getting that oil stain on my garage floor. I have been taking all my vehicles to a 10 minute Pennzoil Lube place for many years and I know the owner personally. The techs allow me to go down in the pit with them so we could discuss the cars that I take there. In and out in less than 10 minutes--no mess, no fuss, and I get to watch all the action from down below.
If you make a mess with this car, you've got issues. :D

Seriously, this engine is one of the cleanest and easiest to do because the oil filter is so close to the drain plug. You can do them both at once.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i dont know what dealership you go to. but in my experience, the dealerships are unneccessarily expensive. which is part of the reason i bought an extended warranty.
Less than $25 for an oil change and lube. I have a great dealer. And I know everyone: the GM, the finance manager, the service manager, the salesmen, and many of the techies. So they take care of me and they love my car :cool: .

As for horror stories, I'm a rather mild-mannered fellow, but the only time I've wanted to punch someone in the last 20 years was at a Jiffy Lube. :banghead: :mad: But I'm over it now. :)

If I knew the guys and trusted them, I might go to such a place, but definitely never a random 10-minute place.

Padre

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I just found a Mobil 1 lube place close by. (I never knew there was such a place). I'm going to check it out.

I know what you mean about Jiffy Lube I had a guy drag his black air hose across the White hood of my Vette. It's amazing how fast your blood pressure goes up.

Home is not an option for me.

I'm going to check this place out and see how it goes. Thanks for all the info Guys I really appreciate. If this doesn't go well I'll do the dealer but they are very busy all the time they are a great shop so If I can be in and out for oil I'll just go to these small shops.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got back from Mobil 1. The guys were pretty cool. One had a sweet lightning that had the Boyd Coddington wheels I was thinking about getting. (Not going to now) and another guy had a pretty tricked out eclipse. Anyway they really babied my ride (which I appreciated) But I did get a bit nervous watching the wrestle with my Air Box. At one point I went out and said just let it go it's only got 2600 miles on it's ok.

I got a free car wash "First Class" But I don't think I'll use it. I'm not too enthused about running it through an Auto Washer.

Over all I will go back.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
ArlingtonGoat said:
I just got back from Mobil 1. The guys were pretty cool. One had a sweet lightning that had the Boyd Coddington wheels I was thinking about getting. (Not going to now) and another guy had a pretty tricked out eclipse. Anyway they really babied my ride (which I appreciated) But I did get a bit nervous watching the wrestle with my Air Box. At one point I went out and said just let it go it's only got 2600 miles on it's ok.

I got a free car wash "First Class" But I don't think I'll use it. I'm not too enthused about running it through an Auto Washer.

Over all I will go back.
why were they messing with the air box????

as long as the car wash is clean and looks maintained, i wouldn't worry too much about running the GTO through. im very anal about my GTO and still take the free car wash that comes with the oil change.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GTOdriver7 said:
why were they messing with the air box????
Checking the Air Filter :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts