LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried looking around for a KAAZ diff, Capa in australia sells em for AU$1995, found KAAZ's website its in japanese (as chris farley said I DON'T SPEAK JAPANESE!) The RMR GTO had only a KAAZ LSD as mods to the diff.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well i'm gonna answer my own question, I found www.kaazusa.com they don't list Pontiac GTO or GMH, i'm gonna call em on monday price should be between $880 and $1500 bucks. I just saw a place in sydney was selling holden commodore KAAZ LSDs for $1650 so i'd imagine somewhere round a Gnote.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing what you can learn from them. When you talk to them can you find out what type of axle is in the car? How many splines? A part number would be great!

On another note, I am curious as to why you are considering the KAAZ differential over a Torsen. The KAAZ differential uses a clutch pack which will wear our and need constant repair/rebuilding. A torsen uses gear ratios and will not wear out or need rebuilding.

If you don't know the answers to those questions. You should ask them.

The Torsen should cost no more that $1,000 and currently they sell for around $500 for Corvettes and F-bodies.

Thanks!

Jim Howard

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KAAZ diff is better for drag racing and road racing. If you get a rear wheel bounce off the ground the torsen unlocks. KAAZ diff is rebuildable (torsen isn't). Problem is KAAZ is the only LSD I see available, their isn't a torsen available. I've heard from people in australia the KAAZ is pretty rugged.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GMH GTO said:
KAAZ diff is better for drag racing and road racing. If you get a rear wheel bounce off the ground the torsen unlocks. KAAZ diff is rebuildable (torsen isn't). Problem is KAAZ is the only LSD I see available, their isn't a torsen available. I've heard from people in australia the KAAZ is pretty rugged.
Interesting, thanks for the reply.

I understand that the standard Torsen unlocks when a wheel lifts, however, the T2R does not and that is the unit that I want to install.

I am surprised to hear that you think that the fact that the KAAZ is rebuildable is a good thing. I have been forced to run an Auburn differential in the past which is very similar to the KAAZ in that it was rebuildable. The problem was that it needed to be rebuilt about three times a year. The cost and hassle was not worth it and is certainly not worth paying extra for up front (the KAAZ is more expensive than the Torsen).

The Torsen is not rebuildable because there is never any need to rebuild them. I have never heard of anyone having to replace or rebuild a Torsen. I cannot say the same thing for the clutch type diffs (like the KAAZ unit).

In any case, I hope you enjoy your differential and would like to hear about your experiences with that unit after you have had it awhile.

By the way, how do you plan on using it?

I compete in SCCA Solo and road racing and put an extreme demand on my differentials.

See ya!

Jim

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Is the differential that weak in the GTO? I know that the driveshaft and the halfshafts are the weak link. Does anyone know of beefed up halfshafts for these cars or a beefed up driveshaft? Don't want to hijack the thread just want some answers if anyone has any.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GTOJ said:
Is the differential that weak in the GTO? I know that the driveshaft and the halfshafts are the weak link. Does anyone know of beefed up halfshafts for these cars or a beefed up driveshaft? Don't want to hijack the thread just want some answers if anyone has any.
I wouldn't call the differential in the GTO weak at all. It is not going to break. Rather, in my experience in road racing and SCCA Solo, if you want to apply the power in the turns, the stock differential wears out quickly. This is especially exasperated by the slow, extreme turns of a SCCA solo, where there are drastic weight shifts between the sides of the car and where the loading of the wheels is drastically varied. Most normal use will not experience this problem.

The Torsen T2R is a well-known proven unit for this type of application. It is the differential of choice in high horsepower rear wheel drive applications in the SCCA.

No experience at the drag strip. So, I can't speak to how that type of loading might affect the differential.

You should probably start a new thread to ask about availability of beefed up driveshafts and/or half-shafts. Burying your question in this thread will almost guarantee that your question will be overlooked.

Jim

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talk to KAAZ today, the GTO LSD will be available later this month (how bout a group purchase!!) expected price round $900 -don't quote me on this!- RMR has two KAAZ diffs on order, the first KAAZ lsd put in the Dorift GTO was sent over from australia.

hummmmm put in KAAZ while I have the diff taken apart how bout some 4.10 gears and the Harrop diff cover...... sounds too expensive, money looks better when its compounding then wasting it on car parts, to be or not to be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts