LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just beginning to do some work on my goat and I was wondering if there are any local places to get a dyno tune when i ante up the cash to buy the predator
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
GoatHerder said:
Im just beginning to do some work on my goat and I was wondering if there are any local places to get a dyno tune when i ante up the cash to buy the predator
two things

1. where are you from?

2. why would you do a dyno tune and the predator? i mean i guess you could. but wouldn't it be a waste of money?

the predator is just a plug and play tune. a dyno tune is custom. unless you are gonna have the predator reprogrammed with a custom tune?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in pontiac, and I have no clue when it comes to tuning, i was under the impression that you needed to buy some software before getting a tune. This is my first time modding a car
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
GoatHerder said:
Im in pontiac, and I have no clue when it comes to tuning, i was under the impression that you needed to buy some software before getting a tune. This is my first time modding a car
ok. let me try to clarify.

the predator is a great mod. you just plug it in and it gives a standard tune (unless you have it changed by the manufacturer). however it is only useful if you are doing basic bolt ons like intake and catback. anything more and you will need a custom tune

a custom tune wil probably give you more horsepower and is absolutly necessary if you do headers, heads/cam, etc. i am not totally sure how a custom tune works. there are software packages such as HP tuners and LS1edit. but these are useless unless YOU KNOW HOW TO TUNE A CAR. these packages are installed on your laptop which connects to your car.

the best thing to do is to take the car to a custom place to have it tuned. the place to have your GTO done in Chi town is speed inc. check them out, they are a sponsor.

but i dont know if you have to purchase one of these software packages on top of paying for the custom tune. can someone answer this question.
hope this helps
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
ok. let me try to clarify.



but i dont know if you have to purchase one of these software packages on top of paying for the custom tune. can someone answer this question.
hope this helps
no they have the software and use it to tune your car......you only pay for tune which is almost equivalent to buying software but then you have to have a clue what your doing.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
no they have the software and use it to tune your car......you only pay for tune which is almost equivalent to buying software but then you have to have a clue what your doing.
ok i get it. so what if i want to return to stock tune ( to take the car into dealership for work). am i SOL with a custom tune? is just one of the negatives?
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
ok i get it. so what if i want to return to stock tune ( to take the car into dealership for work). am i SOL with a custom tune? is just one of the negatives?
The tuner would most likely save your stock tune on his pc first and hence I guess you would have to see him to return it to stock first.........something I have not given much thought to but could be a problem if the tuner is not right in your area. The guy that did mine is an hour away so I am pretty much sol.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
The tuner would most likely save your stock tune on his pc first and hence I guess you would have to see him to return it to stock first.........something I have not given much thought to but could be a problem if the tuner is not right in your area. The guy that did mine is an hour away so I am pretty much sol.

hmmm, good things to consider. i guess i shouldn't get the custom tune until i am truly ready to commit.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Any CMR (Chipmaster Revolution) Reseller for GM cars can load a LS1edit/HPtuners type custom tune right into the predator.
ah good to know. so this means you need to purchase the predator and the custom tune right??
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top