LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a couple spots on my SAP side skirts where the factory applied tape is letting go.
Does anyone have suggestions on the right tape to do a repair? I’m trying to prepare materials before I take it off the car, and am not sure on the proper width or thickness needed for the mounting surface(similar to factory), and second, any particular brand to get.
3M has a Automotive panel /trim tape, but also a very extensive lineup of their VHB tapes. So many sub models of VHB that I’m not sure which ones are best.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0815+8710960+8711017+8713604+3294857497&rt=r3

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fwiw, I called 3M to ask. VHB and automotive tapes are different divisions (of course). Either way, the automotive group suggested Automotive Acrylic tape part number
06384; 1/2”x5yards. Said this is the part number for product that is used by OEM and is designed for adhesion to plastics and painted surfaces. He also suggested using the adhesion promoter part number 06396 on any plastic surface.
I ordered and will try to get pics when I do my repair

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts

·
Wol Gemut
3,477 Posts
I attached my Morel Piccolo Supremo tweeter to stock metal bracket. oem tweeter had a hole in the magnet through which went a screw. So, the Piccolo, with a much heavier magnet than oem, and no hole, had to be attached like it was welded to resist the pull to other objects in the dash. The combination of the 3m vhb 5952 tape AND 3m adhesion promoter 111 on metal is nothing short of amazing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts