LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering which brake system everyone is leaning toward.

i am looking at the PBR system for JHP. mostly b/c it seems to be a really great price for an all around setup. (cost~$1500US, shipped)
i think i am referring to the right set. it is either the PBR or the HSV. im gonna find out.

but there is also the baer system, wilwoods. AP. the HSV.

just wondering which systems people are interested in and why.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I do have to say the PBR, Baer, and HSV brakes may not be exactly the same, they are all similar. The wilwood and harrop brakes are the once for those of you with deep pockets and a serious road racing bug. HSV for me. I liked the look of the aussie brakes.

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Ok..for me I might go for the big HSV's the ones on the HSV GTS / AP 6 piston big race brake full kit (front 362mm & rear 343mm) :hail:
Why? because:

1-They'r Genuine AP brakes with HSV badges.
2-The price is allmost the same as AP big brakes.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Dark said:
Ok..for me I might go for the big HSV's the ones on the HSV GTS / AP 6 piston big race brake full kit (front 362mm & rear 343mm) :hail:
Why? because:

1-They'r Genuine AP brakes with HSV badges.
2-The price is allmost the same as AP big brakes.

and they are $5,000.......

·
710 Posts

·
21,898 Posts
Dark said:
its worth it :cool:
I know but in this hand I have a supercharger and in this hand brakes......for almost the same money......I think I would have a real hard time passing on the s/c first

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I know but in this hand I have a supercharger and in this hand brakes......for almost the same money......I think I would have a real hard time passing on the s/c first

Yep, on that choice, I'd take the SC and use this for extra braking if needed.....

·
710 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
lol I agree and i'm still having the same hard time but i allways read this

"Power is nothing without control" :punch:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im still trying to figure out which setup JHP is offering for $1950 AUD. with the exchange rate and 10% discount it comes out to about $1300 + shipping. that sounds like a very good price.
you can find pics and description of the setup on their website. i will leave to everyone who is interested to find it themselves.
check this thread for more info.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4308&highlight=jhp

·
710 Posts
goatee said:
Yep, on that choice, I'd take the SC and use this for extra braking if needed.....
:eek2: ok newbi question: what the heck is that?

it looks like a jet hooker to me, the one they use when landing on aircraft carriers

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Unless your going serious hp or racing I don't see any need to change the brakes,
unless you just want to, but that is an expensive just want to.

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
If money was no problem, I'd go with the AP racing brakes. In reality however, I think the Baer brakes are great for the price. I was actually thinking about using the 05 GTO brakes. They're bigger, and they have the red GTO logo calipers, and they'd probably be pretty cheap.

·
710 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
It's a boat anchor, Dark!
WHAT?! oh man! , i thought it was somethin for cars "dumb a$$" :bubbrub :bubbrub :bubbrub

Well in this case i'd recomend him to go for this

:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Factory 05 upgrade sounds real interesting to me. Already have the s/c (MagnaCharger), so more stopping is better. Main concern is fade after hard use because the stopping distances of the current 04 seems pretty good. Want to keep the stock 17s. I will wait to see how it shakes out re factory 05, but Baer looks real good right now. BTW, it seems that the upgrades work ok with most cars and ABS. Any particular concerns, observations re this issue as applied to GTO?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
drburns said:
They're bigger, and they have the red GTO logo calipers, and they'd probably be pretty cheap.
GM factory parts cheap????? i would like to know where you shop. b/c i need a tube o lube to get my car worked on when it isn't under warranty.

·
21,898 Posts
JRM346 said:
Already have the s/c (MagnaCharger),
and just how is it working for you? has been on a dyno? been to the track? got a sound clip? sorry I am in need......

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
What do you "folks in the know", know about the 05 brakes?

(Aside: My mod approach is starting to shape up unconventionally.. Phase 1, first the shifter (leaning toward direct acting like the Ripper) and secondly the brakes (you've got to ride route 93 South to Boston to understand my "logic"). Phase 2 will be to grab some easy horses...CAI followed by Predator tune. For 99% of my driving, the acceleration of the GTO is puckering enough for me)

The brakes are a tough one though, it's either get the best bang for <$2K or enter the $5K league of awe inspiring stopping to complement the go-go nature of the GTO.

My leanings are toward the "JHP" solution largely because its "metric" and from OZ, in keeping with the spirit of the Goat. Real logical eh?

It would be ideal to have some comparisons of after market brake system performance though to make a decision, I suspect not likely within the time period I prefer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts