LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate that loud pickup truck popping sound. what part of the exhaust is to blame for it? i have a stock exhaust system on my 05 and plan on putting on bullets (only) tomorrow, but now am worried about obnoxious popping. how bad will it be, if at all? thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
To me, it seemed to be related to resonator removal. When I only had the Magnaflows on, it popped every now-and-then. But as soon as the resonators came out, it does it all the time! And now that I have SW LTs with offroad pipes... well, it can get to sound like gang-warfare if you aren't careful :)

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
No cats will cause the most. These car will have poping, and will sound worse with any cat back. Just the way the cars are tuned. Some can be tuned out. But, never will it dissaper.

·
Have to sell. :C
831 Posts
Tune it out. I don't have any pop on decel anymore. Speed Inc. did it.

·
ROad Goat
220 Posts
I just did a resonator delete on my 05,
I made a h-pipe from 2.5 inch pipe from autozone and have Magnaflow mufflers.
The rest of the exhaust is all stock .
I am running HP Tuners tune and have zero popping.
Sounds awesome. (pics/vid coming soon)

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of what's causing it. get the DFCO turned off with tuning softeware or by your tuner.

·
GTOs love KRAUT & RICE diets!
226 Posts
svede1212 said:
the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of what's causing it. get the DFCO turned off with tuning softeware or by your tuner.
Yes, you will have popping if you use high flow cats, no cats or resonator delete. The only way to get rid of it is to tune it out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when going with high flow cats or no cats the HOS2 thinks the system is running lean and dumps more fuel in so you are actually running to rich which causes the popping.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
no, it's strangely because it goes lean when you step off of the gas. the PCM cuts the fuel, an incomplete burn happens, fuel gets in the exhaust and...pop.

·
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...
2,889 Posts
Bone stock, no special tunes, no resonator, H-pipe placed further back then normal (just behind front seats). Whether I'm running stock mufflers or a "turbo" type which was on the car when I bought it, NO popping!

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
haha I know its funny everyone's taste is different I love my popping actually hoping to get more from shorties catted mids and JBA catback. I have flows super 40s with an Hpipe now. I get some popping but its very low not high pitched sounds good but my borla stinger on my 99 vette sounded way better had a nice pop crackle to it I would drive just right so it popped away haha. Second third gear let off just right whammo sounds fantastic haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts