LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone is bored and wants to photoshop, I have an IBM '04. Looking at the 547R, 545R, 847R and the 845R in 18".

Whats everyone's opinions?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
They all look good, but be prepaired to drop some serious cash. HRE are upwards of $1000 or more per wheel depending on the series and options. The "R" version are even more pricey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had two sets of 545's before, Paid $4500 for the first and $6k for the second...thanks for the heads up though :)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Whew... too expensive for my blood. Granted I had at least 12k in my cars previous motor build before stripping it and selling it all off recently to fund the GTO purchase once 05's hit the dealerships. That was almost a 200% increase in the base horsepower and not just a pretty set of billet wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As always, to each their own. I'll be doing a set of long tubes with a cam with the wheels for now. Same as I did with my Trans Am and everyone thought I was an idiot then too. Im probably one of the few that would rather spend the money on wheels than a Magnacharger, etc. I think the stock wheels are ****, and there arent many options out there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I dont like the stock wheels either, HREs are definately an extremely high quality wheel. Personally from your choices Id go with a 847R, then the 845R.

The 3 piece design is nice but i think they look much cleaner with the hardware hidden like the 8 series wheels.

When we do wheels, we are either gonna go with the Fikse FM/10s like I have on my porsche or maybe the FM/5s. If we do FM/5s im thinking of doing a black center with the full polished lip, that should look really good on the black car =D

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Personaly, I like the look of the 545R the best on the car. I priced them out myself but spending that much on a wheel that will only get damaged on our poor roads or stolen by someone who thinks it will fit their car (and with the GTO's offset and lug pattern, they will be sorely dissapointed). I think if I get a three piece wheel, I want to see the hardware that holds it together, plus it adds intrest to the wheel design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im with you Jason, I like the hardware, but also thought the GTO might look better with the 8 series since the lines of the GTO are very clean. Thats why Im asking :)

Believe it or not, the HRE's are a very strong wheel. I did a lot of research several years ago before I bought my firt set which were 18's. I also had a set of 19/20's on a 2002 SS for several months as my daily driver in southern California and never had a problem with bending, etc.

That is another point to, the fact that these will only fit a GTO. Resale of them wont be good if I decide to sell them unlike the F-body sets I had.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ordered the 18" 845R's in full polished finish. Already have the polished 545's on another car, so I didn't want the same thing. :sneaky:

Nice thing about HRE's, they are rebuildable. If you do happen to bend a rim, you can send it back to HRE. They can replace the outer or inner (or both) rim half for a fraction of the cost of a new wheel. :cool:

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I'm no doubt going with a three piece wheel if I can but budget tells me to keep it under $650 per wheel on the high side.

Those should look good, post pics when you get them mounted up!

·
Registered
169 Posts
GTOs do have the same lug pattern as BMWs so as long as they have a similar offset, you may be able to pick up a used set from a bimmer guy or possibly be able to sell them to a bimmer guy when the time comes.

Ireland31,
Im right by where lambert turns into carbon canyon road

1 - 12 of 12 Posts