1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey GTOers,

Please listen to the video at the following link:

Does anyone have an idea what the high pitched whining noise is or what could have caused it? You can start to hear the noise once I get into 4th gear in the video. The noise does persist until I am basically stopped, in and out of gear.

I just added these modifications, all at once: lower shift boot modification (to fix my torn OEM lower white shift boot), Lou's Short Stick, leather shift boot, shifter ball, Tick Performance quick install clutch speed bleeder, transmission shifter detent plug modification (2 washers), and reverse light switch plug modification (1 washer). I also have the XAIR cold air intake that I installed this fall, which I've heard has a noise to it? But I didn't hear anything different after In installed it in the fall.

Thank you!

Jake

·
Worthless reject member
39,242 Posts
Sounds pretty good on my crappy phone, honestly. :ROFLMAO:

I hate trying to video car sounds, though. Your hearing can single out stuff a microphone can't. A lot of times all you end up hearing is road noise that drowns out what you're trying to capture.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds pretty good on my crappy phone, honestly.

I hate trying to video car sounds, though. Your hearing can single out stuff a microphone can't. A lot of times all you end up hearing is road noise that drowns out what you're trying to capture.
I was concerned the sound wouldn't come through in a YouTube video because it was so high pitched and on top of the exhaust, but it came through. The best time to hear it is when I get in fourth gear and start moving the camera around.

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
Going from a stock isolated shaft to a short shaft like the LSS will result in a LOT more noise coming thru the transmission into the cabin.

I have a straight short shaft with a black threaded ball on my 04, and to me, it sounds nearly identical to what I’ve experienced. I took the ball off, put some silicone on the threads, and put the ball back on to quell some of the vibration/noise/rattling/humming.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going from a stock isolated shaft to a short shaft like the LSS will result in a LOT more noise coming thru the transmission into the cabin.

I have a straight short shaft with a black threaded ball on my 04, and to me, it sounds nearly identical to what I’ve experienced. I took the ball off, put some silicone on the threads, and put the ball back on to quell some of the vibration/noise/rattling/humming.
It seems so much more high pitched to be a rattle from the shifter ball, the shifter ball is quite tight too. I did NOT install the foam insulation after taking the stock shaft off as it was destroyed. My lower shift boot also had a 3" hole in it too before I plugged it up with my new shift boot.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the car out for a drive the other day, noise still persists. Anyone else have other thoughts before I take SkiPopeye36's word for it and call it good? Another detail I forgot to mention was that I installed both the shifter detent plug washer and reverse light switch washer while the car was in first gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds to me like the gears inside the transmission making the usual noises they make, except now you can hear them with your new setup. Mine did the same when I installed my short shifter so I put silicone in the shift knob and sound proofed the shifter area (with a black t shirt lying around) and noise went away. Nothing to worry about just annoying.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds to me like the gears inside the transmission making the usual noises they make, except now you can hear them with your new setup. Mine did the same when I installed my short shifter so I put silicone in the shift knob and sound proofed the shifter area (with a black t shirt lying around) and noise went away. Nothing to worry about just annoying.
Thanks for the response, Mitch. Sounds like it is normal/nothing to worry about. I will plan to lock up the shift knob with some silicone and see how that works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts