LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of mentions on the Aussie forum about a Whipple Charger kit for the LS1. Are these available in the states? The Whipple is more adibiatically efficient than the magnacharger at high boost levels, although at the 6-8 psi levels run on a stock LS1, I'm not sure that comes into play very much. At 13 psi, Kenne Bell reports that the whipple charger made 72 more hp than the eaton unit, despite being at the same boost level.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mistermike said:
Harrop Engineering is working on some things. http://www.harrop.com.au/products/superchargers.html
They do Eatons and Lysholms

The Starr Performance setup is available now, but major $$
http://www.starrperformance.com.au/
You're not kidding about Starr. $10,000 for a supercharger kit! Must be some huge kind of tariff or something. SLP is now selling a low compression LQ9 iron bock specifically for forced induction. Hmmm...Kenne Bell sells a Whipple kit for GM trucks, I wonder if I can use it with this LQ9 truck block?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
stonebreaker said:
You're not kidding about Starr. $10,000 for a supercharger kit! Must be some huge kind of tariff or something. SLP is now selling a low compression LQ9 iron bock specifically for forced induction. Hmmm...Kenne Bell sells a Whipple kit for GM trucks, I wonder if I can use it with this LQ9 truck block?
it mounts to side of block wheres theres no room in the gto enging compartment, edit, if its the one whipple sells, not sure if its the same or not. starr performance twin screw is about the best blower you could get for these cars right now, but its too expensive, im not sure if the 10000 is us or australian, whipple needs to make a center mounted i/c blower for these cars. another thing to consider is the added weight of an iron block, do you guys think this will affect handling majorly.
 

·
Doughnuts on your lawn...
Joined
·
130 Posts
au_ls1 said:
...another thing to consider is the added weight of an iron block, do you guys think this will affect handling majorly.
LQ9 is about 65lbs heavier than an LS1. You would have a noticeable difference if you autocrossed your Goat, but I doubt it for the street. Plus your average battery weighs around 40lbs...just relocate to the trunk...presto! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
braap said:
LQ9 is about 65lbs heavier than an LS1. You would have a noticeable difference if you autocrossed your Goat, but I doubt it for the street. Plus your average battery weighs around 40lbs...just relocate to the trunk...presto! :thumbs:
good info, thanks :)
 

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
au_ls1 said:
it mounts to side of block wheres theres no room in the gto enging compartment, edit, if its the one whipple sells, not sure if its the same or not. starr performance twin screw is about the best blower you could get for these cars right now, but its too expensive, im not sure if the 10000 is us or australian, whipple needs to make a center mounted i/c blower for these cars. another thing to consider is the added weight of an iron block, do you guys think this will affect handling majorly.
Oh yeah, I took a closer look at Kenne Bell's site, and you're right, it mounts off to one side. The price on the Starr kit, btw, is $10,000 USD.
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
The Whipple charged yellow goat on LS1AUS.com showed a vid clip of a Monaro doing a 10 second run. It was awesome. Can the other US aftermarket companies top that?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top