LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
its only a 5.7 its the slow1
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im doing my oil change today. everything goes fine old oil was realy black and scared me well i put in royal purple ...guy told me toput in 10w40 in it since the mileage (40,000) ,ok so im done w/the oilchang and i start her up then i hear like a clunk-clink sound over and over again ,i look back at the tail pipes and its spitting out white smoke,i do have nitrous on the car,what can this be ???should i get a compession test or something?

·
woohoo got my license back
186 Posts
oooo sounds like a head gasket is doomed

·
Registered
931 Posts
How much white smoke? Has your coolant level gone down?

·
its only a 5.7 its the slow1
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tomorrow i willdrain the coolant that has some water and puting good coolant in ..

not like alot but some

·
Registered
931 Posts
If it was smoking due to coolant you should be able to smell it.

·
Burnin Blk Gold ... Texas 'T'
770 Posts
Just an FYI ... don't let any pregnant women around a running car with a blown head gasket. The vaporized antifreeze in the air can cause a miscarriage ~ 3wks down the road from initial exposure ... I don't think most people know this.

The things you learn in safety training at work.

·
woohoo got my license back
186 Posts
What happens if they are driving a car with a blown head and all of the white smoke comes billowing out the tailpipe and she has the A/C on? :sneaky:

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Put the A/C in recirculation inside the cabin.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
definately could be a head gasket, at least it should be easy on these cars.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
is it a sweet smell(coolant) , or somethng that turns your nose(oil(usually blue/white color) , fuel(black) ?

if the car was cold it could be just moisture

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
You running without cats?

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
06LS2 said:
oooo sounds like a head gasket is doomed

Yes. I blew a head gasket on the freeway awhile back, and steam was coming out the exaust (white smoke) Sounds like the same thing to me.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
06LS2 said:
What happens if they are driving a car with a blown head and all of the white smoke comes billowing out the tailpipe and she has the A/C on? :sneaky:
When mine blew, the car was dead. Wouldnt even start.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,433 Posts
(1) White smoke is probably a head gasket, however antifreeze leaking at the intake manifold can do the same thing. The tail pipe will smell "sweet".
(2) 40,000 miles is not High milage. You should be runnin 5-30 unless you have an oil consumption problem.
(3) Black oil is not a problem, it just is doing what it is supposed to do. Does the dipstick look like vasoline. If it does there is coolant in there.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
you guys are skipping over the most important part:

"i start her up then i hear like a clunk-clink sound over and over again "

Never heard a blown headgasket cause this.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:
you guys are skipping over the most important part:

"i start her up then i hear like a clunk-clink sound over and over again "

Never heard a blown headgasket cause this.
Spun bearing, bent rod... Time to drop the oil pan and have a look.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,433 Posts
I missed the cluck, clunk.....time for a new motor...I hope you have an extended warranty....and pray they dont detect the nitrous

·
Drag Racer
930 Posts
take the oil filter off and open it up to see whats in it ..

If you don't have the tool you can use a chisel or large flat head

cut a section out with a razor blade and wrap in a rag and squeeze the oil out of it in the vise and then open it up

If theres trash in there like this

thats not good

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Was this clunk clunk present before the oil change, I mean I find it very hard to believe that it was there before. CHanging oil doesnt really make you spin a rod or blow a gasket. WHat oil have you been using before this, I mean switching from regular 5-30 to synthetic 10-40 isnt much of a change in viscosity since the synthetic is so thin that the extra weight rating balances out with the lower regular oil rating, ya dig? But that constant clunk clunk sounds like rodknock,but burning coolant means that you also have blow headgaskets or a blow headgasket, does it get louder and faster when your rev the motor?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts