LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at starting the mods, and it's so damn hot down here in San Antonio that I can't help but believe that a nice hood will help. I like both the RK Sport and MPD Scorpio, but I really like the Scorpio best. http://www.mpd-inc.net/GTO.htm .

Who has it installed? And What type of quality / fit issues did you find.

Thanks

Jaguarcult

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the MPD hood. It is high quality. Fit was perfect straight out of the box. Looks great on the car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great, how much did you pay to have it installed and painted? My Pontiac dealer is quoting $450 if they keep the old hood.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
how much did it cost to paint? Oh, and Im guessing those scoops are non-functional?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Those scoops are funtional. MPD also sells an intake to go with their hood.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
I also bought the MPD™ Hood, and yes it is fully functional with the MPD™ Air Box (and make sure if you buy it you get box insulated) The hood also has an heat exchanger in the rear of the hood.
COST:
My dealer charged $402.00 Prep,paint, install hood and air box, Labor plus buffing whole car after 60 days of full dry time and KEEPING my stock hood.
You can check it out here:

http://community-2.webtv.net/MRROK/ROKSROCKET04GTO/

Good luck with what ever set up you choose, but DON'T give up your stock hood. Your car will be worth more with the hood if you sell it or keep it for a future classic car.

ROK

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I agree... keep your stock hood.

This also means not letting the bodyshop feather into the fenders. For a new car that should not be an issue since the GTO paints only have one formula... at least I know that is true of the Cosmos.

·
What the **** is an internet?
62 Posts
Do you guys have problems with the hood sucking in water when it rains? How much did you pay for the hood and airbox(the website isn't working right now). Also do they come primered and ready to paint? Sorry for all the questions put I love this hood and am thinking about gettin one.
thanks
Daniel

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
PonchoDan said:
Do you guys have problems with the hood sucking in water when it rains? How much did you pay for the hood and airbox(the website isn't working right now). Also do they come primered and ready to paint? Sorry for all the questions put I love this hood and am thinking about gettin one.
thanks
Daniel
If I remember right, the hood was $855.00 + $20.00 crating and mine was $89.47 FOB for the shipping (55lbs) from IN to CT.(common carrier) The air box was $295.00 + free shipping(UPS)
Everything you need is included for the install.

It was all primed and ready for paint after some prep. Plus all new hardware.
The hood is very well made and solid, just as good if not better than stock.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about the water/rain thing......My goat has NEVER been in the rain, plus I never even tried the wipers yet. I have had the car since March 04. so I can't answer that question. But you won't be sorry for getting this hood IMO!!!

Good Luck
ROK :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mine has been in the rain but I haven't had any problem related to the water. I believe (although I've not seen it) there is a small hole in one of the corners to allow water to drain so it doesn't suck into the intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts