LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about cutting and re-welding the part with the bolt holes about an inch higher on the shift...anyone else done this?

ohh, and is there way to remove the stock knob as to not mess it up or melt it when welding that close to it?

·
Registered GTO Abuser
152 Posts
there are two white clips that are inside the shift knob you have to push them in and lift up hard on the knob to get it off the handle

i took mine off and cut the top of the shifter down about 3/4ths of an inch to get rid of the tabs that locate the stock knob then threaded it and welded the two pieces together (have spray bottle ready for fire thatensues form rubber inside handle) and bought a hurst kob for a 97-04 vette that makes a huge visual improvement on the interior. if you thread the handle just right the boot rests right on the ball so the handle dosent show which gives it a very clean look by doing all this you can make your own shifter but it still has a stock throw

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
TWO-TONS-OF-FUN said:
there are two white clips that are inside the shift knob you have to push them in and lift up hard on the knob to get it off the handle

i took mine off and cut the top of the shifter down about 3/4ths of an inch to get rid of the tabs that locate the stock knob then threaded it and welded the two pieces together (have spray bottle ready for fire thatensues form rubber inside handle) and bought a hurst kob for a 97-04 vette that makes a huge visual improvement on the interior. if you thread the handle just right the boot rests right on the ball so the handle dosent show which gives it a very clean look by doing all this you can make your own shifter but it still has a stock throw
Do you have pics of this? I'd like to see a custom job sounds like a nice fit.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Has anyone swapped the stock shaft out? Do you have it lying around? I would like to get my hands on one to RE and produce a short one. If you are willing, I will get it back to you in two weeks. It would be great if you were local to the chi-town area, I could drive over and get it.

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
Has anyone swapped the stock shaft out? Do you have it lying around? I would like to get my hands on one to RE and produce a short one. If you are willing, I will get it back to you in two weeks. It would be great if you were local to the chi-town area, I could drive over and get it.
I replaced mine with the shaft from my F Body Pro 5.0 and the white Hurst "cue ball". It was a direct bolt on (I was even able to use the Pro 5.0 cap bolts), and the angles even work well. It is a little long, but shifts SOOOOO much better than the rubber band like stocker, that it's worth it. I might try shortening it a bit more, but don't want to run out of threads, and IIRC, the non threaded part is smaller diameter than the threaded part, so I am not sure I can shorten it and rethread. Getting rid of the rubber isolator is worth any effort.

I've already contacted Lou Salzano about a possible short stick for the GTO, and he says he is working on it.

I'd be willing to lend you the stocker if I can get on the list for a solid short stick with stock F body shifter handle threads. ;)

I wish they'd make a Pro 5.0 for the GTO. I really liked that shifter in my Formula.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
There are a few threaded short sticks out there. Blitzu has a nice thread with pictures on swaping one out. I think it was a 30$ shaft. Someone else here has machined a 9/16-18 bolt and used it for a shifter handle. All he did was cut off the bolt head, machine a flat on the bolt then drill two holes through it to bolt it to the shifter. Worked like a charm. I am more intresed in duplicating the stock end so the stock handle can be used.

If you want to shorten yours and the shaft diamiter is equile down the leignth of the shaft, you can run a 9/16-18 die down the theads and further down the shaft. Threading the shaft as deeply as you need to. Then cut away the material you don't want. If this doesn't make sense to you, you are not likely a machinest and that is ok, I don't understand bankers when they talk shop. Take the shaft to a machine shop, there should be a bunch in the yellow pages and ask them to extend the threads a bit. If you are lucky you may find one with a gear head there who will just do it and take a good look at the car. If you were around my way I'd do it after hours N/C.

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
The ball I have (and I want to keep on using it) has M16-1.5 threads on it (stock F body threads), and the Pro 5.0 handle is definitely smaller on the non threaded portion. If I can find a die or a 6-7" M16-1.5 bolt, I might fabricate one. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a stainless m16-1.5 bolt that long. If I can get a die, then maybe I'll try to find the closest SAE bolt and just rethread it.

I am going to resecure the boot around the shaft as soon as I come up with a suitable rubber grommet.

·
Registered GTO Abuser
152 Posts
yours looks identical to mine but it dosent look like you shortened yours up cause my boot sits right on the ball with nothing holding it up

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I was going to bend a piece of stock with the father in law and swap in a Pro 5.0, Kirban or other base unit (that's where the clumsiness is, not in the shift handle), but just haven't gotten to it yet. had other plans come up. :D

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
yours looks identical to mine but it dosent look like you shortened yours up cause my boot sits right on the ball with nothing holding it up
That is a standard, F body Pro 5.0 stick. The threaded part of it is thicker than the rest, so it's not a cut and rethread deal with that one to shorten it. I ordered a short stick for the F body, which should work. I am going to get it to the point where the boot will meet the bottom of the ball.

I was going to bend a piece of stock with the father in law and swap in a Pro 5.0, Kirban or other base unit (that's where the clumsiness is, not in the shift handle), but just haven't gotten to it yet. had other plans come up.
The solid stick, sans the rubber donut takes about half of the sloppiness out. I have an F body Pro 5.0 sitting in the garage, and I might take a stab at modding it to work with the GTO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts