LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just asking who has upgraded their stereo in the GTO. Meaning speakers, amps, subwoofer, and new head unit. I just want to find out what others have done. Also who has installed XM or Sirius radio to their car?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTOJ said:
Hey just asking who has upgraded their stereo in the GTO. Meaning speakers, amps, subwoofer, and new head unit. I just want to find out what others have done. Also who has installed XM or Sirius radio to their car?
I have a sub, amps, and all new speakers........all JLAudio.....I have it ready for a new headunit just cant decide if I want to do that........but it sounds great even with the factory unit and all the other new stuff....

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the factory headunit can handle all of it? That is cool exactly what were the speakers and amps(part #s). Also where did you get all of it from?

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Speakers

I'm not changing the head unit - I really like the in dash changer and the way it works with my cell phone - but since I've been in the doors and have looked at the "so called" tweeters, speakers are definitely on my list. I want more crispness and the paper tweeters and speakers we have just will not do it. I'll probably get them from Crutchfield but the modding budget is getting a bit low right now. I just added tweeters and an amplified sub to the wife's SSR.

Diggs

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the factory unit as well. I was just under the impression that when you change speakers and especially amps that the factory head unit on most if not all cars can not handle the extra stuff. You see how much I know about stereo equipment.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Crutchfield?

Diggs said:
I'm not changing the head unit - I really like the in dash changer and the way it works with my cell phone - but since I've been in the doors and have looked at the "so called" tweeters, speakers are definitely on my list. I want more crispness and the paper tweeters and speakers we have just will not do it. I'll probably get them from Crutchfield but the modding budget is getting a bit low right now. I just added tweeters and an amplified sub to the wife's SSR.

Diggs
Try this site. onlinecarstereo.com ,I've bought numerous products and they are by far the cheapest.Look at MB Quart prices.No Warranty though,but for those prices I don't care

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTOJ said:
So the factory headunit can handle all of it? That is cool exactly what were the speakers and amps(part #s). Also where did you get all of it from?

yep it really sounds great....of course a better headunit would sound even better but I like the stock look too.....got it from a local audio place....give me a day to dig up the part #'s........

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am middle of designing a custom system with the install shop. We are golooking to do soemthing a little extravagent. They are really good at custom moldings and finishes. So far this is what we have for preliminary hardware. Things sometimes change as you start ripping things apart.

Dash
Tough call as I have not found the 2-DIN deck that completely does it for me. I like the new Eclipse (haven't actually seen it yet) it has a 20 gig hard drive built in for MP3's and it auto rips from CD/DVD any audio you play onto that HD. Drawback = no satellite radio
I may have to settle for a Kenwood touch screen w/ satellite keg and navigation, but I'm not fond of the Kenwood UI's. My gut tells me to wait on the head unit and just get something mid level.

I have looked at the amp in the back to see if I could pick off a clean stereo from the factory head unit, no joy. Looks like they used a custom wiring harness and likely have odd voltage levels to the amp. There is no evidence of the amp doing any sort of cross over, which makes me think the signal is only bass for the rear sub speakers.

Front:
Diamond Audio hex series 6 1/2's w/ silk tweets in stock locations. Only need to dynamat the doors

Rear:
- Possibly put rear fill hex series 5 1/4's in the rear stock location, not sure if we will need them, will wire for them but not install until we start tuning.
- 2 Diamond Audio 10' Motorsport m6's in the rear (side walls, near stock locations). Need to pull the interior out to get exact location and verify there is no unexpected obstructions. We believe there is enough debth in these walls, very roomy :) Will build sealed enclosures and dynamat everything. We like the idea of the 10's in the cab (assuming we can get them where we want them) so we don't have to deal w/ the gas tank. And I like really punchy/tight bass. I am not a boomer.
- remove stock sub speakers

Trunk
- Amps, diamond again. D5 series 300x2 and 1200x1.The shop recently quit carrying xtant (polotics) and the guys swear up and down I will be just as happy w/ the diamonds. I do trust them as they did me right on my last install.
- Removing spare tire and building a display floor, the installer gets free reign here. Still working on this part; but i think he has a pretty good idea of what we can do. I think he's going to pull the mid covers off the 2 amps (flat piece of metal w/ brand/model names) and fab a piece of plexiglass, with GTO etched in big bold letters. Will also use LED tube lights to run in the fins of the amp to give them some color.

I know some folks would not appreciate what we are going for w/ the install as it's a little much, but I love my stereos and will ensure there is a mute button for those special moments when I need to listen to the engine :) And one thing it will be is classy, it will not have a cheap or gaudy look to it. The shop I go to does many installs on much pricier cars than my GTO and these boys have pulled off some amazingly clean and classy installs.

Hopefully we can get started mid August once all the planning is done and I have the hardware procured.

·
Registered
607 Posts
me and my lack of proof reading - doh. Sorry about the broken english and for the record, make those 10" (inch) subs, not 10 footers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nothing too high end, but I think it sounds ok.

1. Infinity Perfect 6.1 Components With tweeters in the dash and kick panels and 6.5" woofers in the stock locations.

2. Stock Head unit + AudioControl Three.1 (crossover/equalizer) and Epic-160 (for deeper bass) These units have high voltage (13V) RCA outputs to feed the amps.

3. Rockford Fosgate 1501bd ([email protected]) 801x ([email protected])

4. 2 12" Kicker Solobaric L7s (750W RMS each) in a generic sealed enclosure. Hey, at least I can remove it if I ever want to use the trunk.

5. 0/1 gauge wiring and 2.4F cap.

I'm thinking about dumping the stock head unit because I really miss satelite radio...I'll probably go with the Kenwood KDC-X979.

·
ashgto04
39 Posts
XM Radio

I moved my XM unit (Alpine) out of my old car to my GTO. I'm not very handy, so I had a local installer do it. He did look to see if he could hook in directly with RCA cables, but was unsuccessful. I'm going to put in the Alpine MP3 changer in a few weeks. I'll let you know how that works out.

GTOJ said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts