LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started my install this weekend. Still not done, its taking forever! I have a new respect for stereo guys. I have never installed stereo equip before so there is a learning curve. I did not realize the install would require me to remove just about every panel in the car. I have taken a bunch of pictures and will post 'em up when Im through. I am now having a problem with a high pitch humming noise from the rear quarter panel speakers. It seems to be when the car is turned on, when powered by just the battery the noise is gone.

Here is the 411:

I have installed an aftermarket head unit and am using the RCA connections. I have infiniti 6010 components in the front and Kenwood (can't recall the model right now) in the rear quarter. I have some SSMB8's in the rear deck but not powered yet, need more speaker wire. (Using the silicone per YellowZQ8's install, copied it to a tee thanks YellowZQ8) Since I am struggling with my 4 channel amp, some antique I bought from my friend a Targa HX-4, I decided to test my front speaker connections by plugging them into my Kicker 2 channel amp, will be used for the ssmb8's. After 3 days of on again off again dickin around on the car it was AWESOME to finally hear some music. So the front infiniti's were sounding great. I then connected my rear quarter kenwood's to the kicker amp to test that connection, all I got was some loud pops and basically scary ass noises. I quickly shut down the car and checked my connections to the amp, realized I plugged the drivers side quarter in backwards, shizzle! So I corrected the problem and I got music but there is an umbelievable high pitched humm. I didn't have it when I connected to the Infiniti's.

So I tried connecting it to the 4 channel amp, not a very sexy amp at all, no place to plug in 8 gauge wire. Anyway, when I connected to that amp the Infiniti's in the front had the humm, could not get the rear quarters to come on in that config. I think I need to connect another set of RCA's to get the other two channe's to come on.

So what the eff do I do now??? I tried searching for hum, humm and I will try searching for humming after I complete this post.

I appreciate any input.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Are you sure you've got good grounds.

And yes, you need two pairs of RCAs to input into that 4-channel amp (or two Y-splitters)

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
as strange as this may sound, where are your rear speaker cross-overs located?

They may be inducing the noise you are hearing. this is taking into consideration you used the right size ground wire (same gauge as the power) and the connection point is bared to the metal)

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
Lothar34 said:

And yes, you need two pairs of RCAs to input into that 4-channel amp (or two Y-splitters)
he probably needs an AudioControl four.1 someone here hasa for sale, wait let me check the garage,,,,,,, yup, that guy still has it:secret:

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
lol...I'm laughing with you

It is funny how much respect you get for something when it whips your ass all over the garage for a while eh?

FWIW you picked one of the toughest cars to start on. I do give you much love for the attempt. Honestly though, doing your first audio install in this car is like doing your first engine work on a Ferrari V12.

Again, check your grounds this is usually the culprit of engine noise...although these cars do have some "hot spots" for radiated noise as well. You may also just have a bad amp.

Good luck, and post up if you have any other questions.

·
2,089 Posts
Ross said:
he probably needs an AudioControl four.1 someone here hasa for sale, wait let me check the garage,,,,,,, yup, that guy still has it:secret:
Very few people "need" an Audio Control 4.1.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My ground was good on the Kicker amp, the first time I heard the humming from the quarter speakers. That has 4 gauge grounded to the gas tank brace. I could see how the grounded wire made it hum on the Targa amp, since that amp requires basic speaker wire to power and ground, I just unplugged my cables from the kicker and spliced on some wire to the ends and ran that to the Targa.

As for the crossovers for my rear quarters . . . don't have any. Could that be the problem?

Anyway I probably won't be able to post anything else to later on tonight, the new job isn't ls1gto.com friendly.

Thanks guys.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lothar34 said:

Thanks Lothar, I will ante up the cash for additional cable. Funny how I thought: "Now I have all the stuff I need to do the install."

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
are you using good cable? i think cheap cable can have noise induced by other wiring in the car (correct me if i'm wrong.) or maybe run the speaker and power wires on opposite sides of the car. i'm a noob at stereos, but i know a thing or 2 about mutual induction...

·
1 0f 252
143 Posts
did you run your power and rca cables on the same side of the car? If so thats a big no-no. You need to run them as far apart as possible, running them close together than cause interference. That could be whats causing the humming sound.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Yellow_Goat said:
As for the crossovers for my rear quarters . . . don't have any. Could that be the problem?
Are they coax?

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
DiamondJoeQuimby said:
Very few people "need" an Audio Control 4.1.
Only those who have never used one :)

On the plus side, it does have a "B" channel input for a set of RCA's - perfect for somebody who wants to run an iPod to the Amp

Down side, it's only two channels in, though four out.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
Yellow_Goat said:
My ground was good on the Kicker amp, the first time I heard the humming from the quarter speakers. That has 4 gauge grounded to the gas tank brace. I could see how the grounded wire made it hum on the Targa amp, since that amp requires basic speaker wire to power and ground, I just unplugged my cables from the kicker and spliced on some wire to the ends and ran that to the Targa.

Thanks guys.
Well I can attest that connecting to one of the bolts for the fuel tank brace won't always cause extra noise.

If you don't have crossovers that won't cause it. Sometime when a crossover is mounted too close to a noisey source, in the GTO's case it's the fuel pump, noise can become induced.

How long is the offending amp's ground wire?

·
2,089 Posts
Ross said:
Only those who have never used one :)

On the plus side, it does have a "B" channel input for a set of RCA's - perfect for somebody who wants to run an iPod to the Amp

Down side, it's only two channels in, though four out.
Don't get me wrong...I am an Audio Control guy, used an EQX and DQS in 2 previous cars (not in same car) I am just saying 99.9% of people don't need an eq. In this case my vote would be for a better 4 ch amp.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
DiamondJoeQuimby said:
Don't get me wrong...I am an Audio Control guy, used an EQX and DQS in 2 previous cars (not in same car) I am just saying 99.9% of people don't need an eq. In this case my vote would be for a better 4 ch amp.
I didn't take any offense. Never really did use the eq portion as much as the sub gain the four.1 has. Because of the 12vdc output and the quality is delivers, is why I buying a Matrix from a member here.

The only reason I am selling it is because of the four channels + sub out on the Alpine deck. The deck has the time delay / imaging feature which I just couldn't let go of once I got it dialed in.

·
Certified Pontiac Enthusiast
64 Posts
Ground loop... Been there!

Yellow_Goat said:
I am now having a problem with a high pitch humming noise from the rear quarter panel speakers. It seems to be when the car is turned on, when powered by just the battery the noise is gone.
Those sentances say an awful lot about the problem. I'll almost guarantee you have a ground loop. Ground loops can happen even if you have a solid ground on the amps/head unit, as the chassis of the car between those points may not always be as good a conductor as you think (i.e. it may have substantial resistance).

That in itself is that big a deal, until you realize that the electrical system on a car can carry noise generated by the alternator. Now, that resistance causes a voltage drop on your audio ground line, and since that usually winds up connecting to the chassis ground, the noise winds up on your audio line. You hear this electrical noise as the hum you describe.

You can often fix the issue with better/different grounding points, but on some equipment or in cars with a particularly noisy system, you may not be able to get rid of it. I've had the same issue a couple times, and I have a solution that has worked every time. Get a "ground loop isolator" from radio shack (part number 270-054). Put one in each RCA line you are running into the amp, and I'll bet your hum will be 100% gone!

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you might be interested in what is actually going on. Hope all this helps!

·
Registered
456 Posts
SpideR W said:
Those sentances say an awful lot about the problem. I'll almost guarantee you have a ground loop. Ground loops can happen even if you have a solid ground on the amps/head unit, as the chassis of the car between those points may not always be as good a conductor as you think (i.e. it may have substantial resistance).

That in itself is that big a deal, until you realize that the electrical system on a car can carry noise generated by the alternator. Now, that resistance causes a voltage drop on your audio ground line, and since that usually winds up connecting to the chassis ground, the noise winds up on your audio line. You hear this electrical noise as the hum you describe.

You can often fix the issue with better/different grounding points, but on some equipment or in cars with a particularly noisy system, you may not be able to get rid of it. I've had the same issue a couple times, and I have a solution that has worked every time. Get a "ground loop isolator" from radio shack (part number 270-054). Put one in each RCA line you are running into the amp, and I'll bet your hum will be 100% gone!

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you might be interested in what is actually going on. Hope all this helps!
I agree^^^^^^^^ but suggest you exhaust every possibility before you plug in a ground loop isolator. The audio you're losing thru that piece is substantial, so make sure there isn't anything else you can do. I've connected the chassis of the radio to the amp ground and gotten rid of noise that way. This addresses the difference in ground potential referred to above.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input guys I really do appreciate it because I am retarded, that’s right, I’m coming out . . . I’m retarded.

Didn’t get a chance to post yesterday cuz after work I jumped right back on the install . . . till 3:30am just to get my ass handed to me by my freakin system. My hat goes off to all you guys who install stereo gear. I have enjoyed the challenge I will admit but I’m still NOT DONE!

I swear this forum is makes me think of the old saying “Hang around a barber shop long enough . . . you’ll get a haircut.” Same thing with this forum. I start by parusing the “Newbie Bolt On” section and POW I end up with an intake, by the way which one do you guys think is the best? Just kidding. Start hanging out in the Tuning section, WHAMO I have 2, yes 2, predators. I am retarded. One has the old software, I actually like that one better because of the shifts. I am convinced I need better bushings and I would love to get Pedderized. So basically, I poked my head into the stereo section and now I want to shoot my retarded self.

Anyway . . . As for the speaker hum . . . it’s gone. Not really sure why. I plugged everything back up and it was gone. I think you guys were right about the grounding. I must admit that when I was doing some testing initially I had a bit of “ghetto testing” going on. I also think I should have a better 4 channel amp, but for $35 I had to.

So now I have 2 sets of RCA’s going to the head unit. One set for the Kicker 2ch which is now driving my fronts and split the other RCA to the 4ch for the rears. I plug everything in to get the whole system sound and they all played and there was no hum. Cool.

So then I start the daunting task of putting in the trunk liner and pulling wires through it and placing the amps in their final home. I plug everything back in . . . bout 2:45am at this point, I was/am on a mission, a retarded mission. The fronts now come in and out and the 4 rears are popping and making a horrible noise. I was trouble shooting for a while and finally went to bed.

I think I might have a polarity issue on one of the channels for the Targa amp. Would that cause all channels to go out if one was all hosed? I am hoping that is the issue, I would love to get my car back together.

Anyway, I have promised pics and they really are coming, right now I’m sneaking in a long post, typed in Word and pasted over, just to say thanks for all the input and to say buy your local stereo guy a beer!

Right now I’m just chomping at the bit to get out of work and figure out the problem and its raining, I’m so retarded.

·
2,089 Posts
a polarity issue shouldn't shut an amp off. A polarity issue will usually casue bass to disappear b/c 1 speaker is pushing while the other is pulling thus cancelling each other out.

Typically an amp could shut down if it is reading a short somewhere...i.e. you have a speaker wire touching bare metal. Otherwise heat, and or poor power connections (12v, gnd, or rem) could cause the same issue.

·
Misplaced Yooper!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're right. I just got done checking everything out. Basically what I think happened is when I screwed in my amps, I must have pinched a wire or something. I unscrewed both amps and had them hanging on just the rear liner and everything worked again! Sweet! I screwed em back in and it is still working. So something got hosed.

Anyway the car is not even back together yet, probably tomorrow, last night kicked my ass. But I will say this: the best sounding speakers are those Infiniti's I have in the front. They are awesome! I wish I would have gotten another pair for the quarters but I was in a hurry . . . don't know why it only has taken me FOREVER.

Anyways, thanks for all the input fella's, I would post pics but my lady doesn't have an SD reader and thats where this whole debacle has taken place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts