LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
qwkgoat
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see I have some okay mods. But sometimes my car bogs in the burnout box and during the launch off the line. Could I be overwhelming my "stock converter?" That's what I'm thinking...my powerband starts around 1700ish and once I hit 2nd I have a nice big tire scratch and she blasts off! If I had a 3400 stall, I would launch quite a bit harder and already in my powerband, thus shifting to 2nd earlier, and cutting some pretty decent times...right? Just looking for guidance.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Sounds like you need at least a 2200 stall. Maybe 3.73's?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It's most likely your cam. Your going to need a converter. I had similar problems in my A4 LS1 Z28 with a very mild cam.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A good rule of thumb, is to match the cam to the converter. This way your cam/ "power band", is matched. Looks like a speed inc special, 224/224 cam. I would call them and get their T/C special.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2200stall, lmao! If I had no clue and had to choose a T/C, it would not be a2200. At the very least, a 2800. If you are going to add heads and nitrous later, I would just go ahead and buy the 3200-3500 stall now, instead of taking out the 2800 and reinstalling the 3200-3500. Makes it cheaper.

·
qwkgoat
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking a Vig 3200 or a Yank 3200. Also, I was swapping my DRs out and both my drag bags were flat. Long story short, my exhaust melted one of the tubes resilting in my 275DRs rubbing the rear fender wells during hard launches...I'm sure this didn't help my cause. Replaced the hose and all is well. Still need a stall bad though. So many of you had similar experiences and think is will be my cure all to my new found power?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like how everyone says, " Just go with...3200stall" or " Just get a 3500" Dont you care about where your Powerband is? Or how about future mods and the correct converter you will need for them?

Bigger is Better! Just go with a 3800stall. Have fun

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
seadonky said:
I like how everyone says, " Just go with...3200stall" or " Just get a 3500" Dont you care about where your Powerband is?
most dont. my car stock made max tq. at 3,6xx so i got a 3600 stall it has since moved up alittle.. people arent buy'in stalls based on the engine anymore for some reason

·
qwkgoat
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke w/ CAM and a few others...probably gonna go with a Vig 3200. I think I'll be very happy at the track and daily driving. I'm convinced a stall will fix my short track for sure and will be in the 12s finally.

·
WELL WELL , WANNA PLAY HUH!
81 Posts
Mine is a 3000 stall. My motor is internally stock with LT's CAI and a tune and it launches hard! The cam is coming soon. I think you are running the very cam I'm going to get.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
A converter will make all the difference in the world, I had the same problem before I installed mine.

·
qwkgoat
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good to know^...I guess it was wishful thinking...more power=faster times when in reality better things come in pairs...ie. converter + cam!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts