LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left around 8:45 yesterday morning. The trip was pretty much uneventful, and I still hate driving through Kansas City. Being a University of Kansas Graduate, I did not want to stop in Columbia. I would have felt very dirty even driving past, so I decided to get gasoline before I got there. After I paid for the gasoline, I got in the car, and when I tried to start it, all I got was clicks. I had a jump-starter, but mine is old, and even that would not get the car to turn over. Eventually a nice guy came over and jump started the car for me.

I had a decision to make at that point. Since my battery is a yellow top optima that is only 2 years old, my thought was that my alternator was bad. I called and spoke with PJ, who was waiting on the police to arrive after his hit and run problem. Since I could still get home from where I was at, I turned around and drove back.

This afternoon, after running the charger on my battery all night long, I hopped in the car, and it still wouldnt start. I took out the battery and went to AutoZone to have the battery tested. Yellow Top Optima battery, installed June of '04, and it was bad. I purchased another battery, then took the car back to AutoZone, and had them test my alternator. It was putting out 13.97 V, so it was just the battery. Why do I end up having the only crappy Optima? (and why the hell did I buy another yellow top?)

Hope everyone drinks just one more beer for me. :drink: Ill see what I can do about making it next year. Here's the pics that prove that I was at least on the way:

Attachments

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I was sorry to hear about that Warren. So was Jon. He was depending on you and I cleaning out the cash bar so he wouldn't have to pay the barkeep an extra $150. :drink: I'll do my best.

Padre

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, RobertHammen told me that last night. Jon wasn't worried about my car, he was worried about having to pay up the bar tab tonight. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
With Padre's assistance, we were able to meet the bar minimum. Glad to hear it was just the battery, but sorry you won't be making it this year. There's always next year...

·
CCGTO Member
1,731 Posts
Sorry about your trouble, but don't worry, you're definitely not the only one with a Yellow Top that's crapped out. a few guys on the S-Series Truck forum have run into bad Yellow Tops.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Sorry to hear that warren, looked forward to another Ames like get together:) Optima batteries arn't all their made up to be, can't say their not good, but a Interstate OE battery is just as durable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts