LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the twin screw superchargers im seeing available for the GTO so much?! You can get domestic turbo systems for the LS1 for less that produce more HP! Of course they arent adapted to the GTO specs but that will only come in time. Why pay 11G for a twin screw when a turbo is so much more efficient and produces more power at less psi? But seeing how much a 2.4L twin-screw Kenne Bell can do for a 03 Cobra...imagine what a 3.3L twin-screw Starr Perf. GTO could do....in the deep 10s perhaps?....if the suspension could handle it of course....

·
Banned
504 Posts
GTOkid said:
Why are the twin screw superchargers im seeing available for the GTO so much?! You can get domestic turbo systems for the LS1 for less that produce more HP! Of course they arent adapted to the GTO specs but that will only come in time. Why pay 11G for a twin screw when a turbo is so much more efficient and produces more power at less psi? But seeing how much a 2.4L twin-screw Kenne Bell can do for a 03 Cobra...imagine what a 3.3L twin-screw Starr Perf. GTO could do....in the deep 10s perhaps?....if the suspension could handle it of course....
We're taking orders on the new GTO Magnacharger kit. $5795 satin finish or $6795 polished. It also comes with a 3 year/ 36k mile powertrain warranty!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are there any numbers that can be released at this point? And what about an intercooler? Heat is a big problem with the Eatons-type blowers.... And even so, a turbo can be bought for a few grand more and will probably make gobs more power and be easier on the engine.

EDIT - Oh, and what size is it? M90? M112? M140? M140??? :slap:

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
But every time i see that picture it Gives me Butterflies!

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
That is an IC kit. I dont know about you but I sure wouldnt spend $8,000 for a turbo kit when I could only run 8psi. We come back to my rule about FI. Either low psi or go all out. Nothing in-between. It doesnt stop at a few things, it ends with a stroked low compression motor, DFI engine managment, healthy fuel system, and a fairly large bill. This isnt a cobra, its a high compression LS1 motor. I went into this tangent because you look at a kit that is supposed to be mild in most concerns and you want to make "gobs of power"..... aint gonna happen, and if it does it wont last. You may now post all the awesome #'s that ATI has seen on the vettes and other supercharged LS1 combos..... great #'s yes but how long until they place an unexpected order for a new shortblock.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Although I am no expert, I suspect the same is true for NOS. My instinct tells me tacking on an extra 100HP or more with a NOS bottle is a "quick and easy" gain with some long term consequences. It's kind of like tying model rocket engines to your roller skates. It SOUNDS like a good idea...

Anyway, I feel certain that a paitent, well thought plan for performance upgrades is the way to go. This includes everything from brakes to bearings. I intend to upgrade TOWARD the engine, not FROM the engine, meaning prep the car for the horsepower it's going to push. It will take longer and cost more, but I should end up with a very streetable and very reliable hot rod.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DevilYellow....I WAS planning on getting a low compression block with forged internals to deal with the power. Just thought I would leave that out since I believed that it would be inferred but guess not...

·
Banned
504 Posts
Magnuson is doing dyno testing on the production unit and I should have official number next week. Their R&D department tells me at least 100hp increase shouldn't be a problem, but we'll have to wait to get the official numbers. The system pictured aboe is a test unit and doesn't have the intercooler hooked up. All of the production units are intercooled though and will be set at 6.5lbs of boost.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Hmmmmm....

Howie,

Does that fit under the stock hood with no clearance problems?

I can't tell from the picture - has the shock tower brace been removed? modified?

TIA,

Diggs

·
Banned
504 Posts
Diggs said:
Howie,

Does that fit under the stock hood with no clearance problems?

I can't tell from the picture - has the shock tower brace been removed? modified?

TIA,

Diggs

The blower does fit under the stock hood and strut tower brace. The brace is just off in this pic. We also have a BMR strut brace to test to see if it clears the Magnacharger. Will let you guys know!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DevilYellow said:
Then dont complain about the cost of a kit, doing a forced induction project full on is not cheap.
Not so much complaining but I just dont see the logic behind it....why a SC which is inferior in just about every way to a turbo can cost MORE than one...even if you had 100G to spend on this car...wouldn't you want to get your money's worth??

·
Banned
504 Posts
kbaba said:
Howie,

What's the install price?
We're doing the first couple of installations for $550. You'd have to bring your Goat to Phoenix though.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
GTOkid said:
Not so much complaining but I just dont see the logic behind it....why a SC which is inferior in just about every way to a turbo can cost MORE than one...even if you had 100G to spend on this car...wouldn't you want to get your money's worth??
Think of it as a puzzle. To get it right you have to fit the peices together perfectly, when the peices are the right size and fit together you with have an efficent system that makes power without doing damage.

This supercharger kit is adding a peice to the GTO puzzle, it is shaped and sized to boost a stock application's HP without having to modify the motor. It's for alot of the older guys on the board that do not want to have their car torn apart and just cruise it to some shows and race it once or twice. Very dependable.

Now lets look at a bolt on turbo kit. This kit usually costs a decent amount more than a supercharger kit (magnacharger, ati, vortech). This kit is a production peice trying to match the supercharger's denpendability and easy of installation. The manifolds will be a basic log style for fitment reasons usally and they turbo(s) will be smaller units, maybe even too small for the CFM. This kit has to bolt in and fit without burning wires or hitting anything else in the cars suspension or body. This kit serves the same exact purpose, low boost on the stock motor. Harder to install.

The bolt on turbo kit is nowhere near what a "race" kit would be. A race kit doesnt have to be some killer 100mm crazy turbo system. It's an efficent system that uses a decent style header along with a properly sized turbo for the application. This usually requires some removal of stock items or modficition. This system when properly combined with a low compression motor, a proper fuel system, and a hybrid DFI managment setup will rock anyone's world, be dependable, and scary :) You dump in 110 octane, hit 18 on the electronic boost controller and roll off without touching the tune (after its initially tuned). You put 93 octane, turn it down to 10 psi and dont worry about it.

Comes down to this. Why worry about going all out or spending a few extra grand on a kit when your final goals are are the same as a regular supercharger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I'm one of the old guys you are talking about. My experience is about ten cars with nitrous including some 389 GTO's and a '95 Viper, a twin turbo '74 455SD Trans Am, and a couple of SC's. Current daily driver is a Hummer H2 with a Whipple Supercharger with 23,000 miles on the SC. I have never destroyed an engine but I did suck the rear butterflies out of a qudrajet once when the w.o.t. switch stayed on, and occaisionally lost a head gasket on the first SC'd car.
My opinion is there is no better way to fun with your right foot than a supercharger, out of the hole, any speed or throttle position, power is there right now. But dollar for dollar ($600 vs. $6000 for 150HP and 150FTLBS) you can't beat nitrous, yes you do risk a high lean burn down if something goes wrong but it's just maintenance and a little luck I think.
So the other parts of the puzzle are dollars, wrench time, and risk don't you think?

·
WOT's up?
559 Posts
Thanks Howie, I was just in Phoenix. Didn't have the Goat though, but it would be a nice road trip with a purpose!

Hey DY - what's this Old guy and SC stuff. It's good to get blown no matter how old you are.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Do not get me wrong at all. I love to get blown! My daily driver is a supercharged Buick GS. Great torque! My play toy before the GTO was a Grand National (for sale) ...life begins at 25psi.

The LS1 is a great motor, but if you really want to push it a set of rods and pistons would be a smart idea.

I really meant that the kit is made for someone who doesnt HAVE to mess around with the motor. No extra maintenence with nice dependability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts