LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Eurotrash
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the specific rule that keeps the LS2 out of Grand Am? Is it a displacement problem? And Why does the Mustang get to use their 420hp cammer and not the 300hp stock motor? :madsign3:

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
cuz ford needs all the help they can get to even place in the top 3. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go to the web site of the Grand American Road Racing Association for the complete rules and specs for each car. Tells exactly what can and cannot be done to each car by class.

·
Hater of Ignorance. . .
5,720 Posts
What is the specific rule that keeps the LS2 out of Grand Am? Is it a displacement problem? And Why does the Mustang get to use their 420hp cammer and not the 300hp stock motor? :madsign3:
Its because they dont want to have LS1 GTO's lapping LS2 GTO's :wall: , it would be bad advertising for GM! lol

Oh and 420hp in Ford talk is like a 200hp GM!

·
Eurotrash
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap, old resurrection! This was like my first post Evar - still doesn't make any sense to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holy crap, old resurrection! This was like my first post Evar - still doesn't make any sense to me
Probably allowed the cammer engine to keep the field competitive as far as HP/weight, and the thinking that the solid axle in the Mustang would be a hindrance. Can the stock engine put out 400hp? Probably with a race gas tune, but remember that this series is about marketing and Ford wanted to also market the new cammer engine.

Early on in the '05 season it was clear the 3-link live axle was just fine (as evidenced by the success of the Mustangs) and every race something was done to remove the perceived advantage of the Mustangs.

From what I've seen, the Mustangs were immediately forced to run with more weight (heaviest car in the field), less gear (3.55's instead of 4.10's), and less power. This still holds true for the '07 season and the Mustangs are still the heaviest cars (3,300 lbs.) in the field and the cammer has been choked back to about 370hp. The Porsches actually have the best HP/weight ratio in the field, followed by the M3's. The Mustangs still seem to be winning a lot, though.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the GTO's aren't doing better. Is there some inherent problem with our suspension geometry??? I haven't really run head to head against a Mustang, but do feel like our cars could use huge improvements in the suspension department.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was wondering that too...

According to Chris which races in the GA cup he said that the GTO's were posting very competitive times but for some reason they have not finished that well. I think the best ive seen is 9th place for a GTO. Not bad but I was really hoping for a top 5 finish for a GTO since they have the power.

About the ls2 its probably a rule which does not allow it probably becuase it will have more power, but i think it should be allowed.

Hope they do better next year if the Spirit of Daytona team runs them again.

pedro

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here are this year's rules. Scroll down to section 8 and you'll see some of the unique specifications for each car:

http://www.grand-am.com/CONTENT/Docs/PDF/2007/KONIRules.pdf

And quit whining about the Cammer engine already. :banghead: There are a ton of other advantages they give the GTO compared to the Ford (e.g. a 3050 weight requirement, headers, better gears, etc.).

Every car in the field has it's own set of "requirements" that are meant to level the playing field and the 2005 GT has certainly been saddled with it's fair share of "penalties".

Since BMW won the Mfr. Title, you might want to target them for rules modifications, not Ford.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
23 Posts
ttt!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts