LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
It will if you remove the entire center stack inside your car because your shifter will be poking straight up into your stereo and heater controls.

GTO needs either linkage or a bent lever to bring the shift handle back into the ****pit. The F-Body transmission sits further back than the GTO transmission does.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I have already had mine apart and it doesnt have any bar that comes back like the rip shift does. The OEM shifter looks identical to that SLP one and the OEM bar comes straight up. In fact I replaced my OEM bar with another one that I fabricated using a 9/16 x 18 stainless bolt with the head cut off to fit the pistol grip knob that I had in my Vette.

See pics here.... http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6022

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
None of those pictures show what you need to be seeing. Your shift lever, near the bottom, has a bar that attaches it to the actual input shaft for your gear selecter. The shifter on the GTO has 3 basic parts, the input shaft, a connecting rod that goes towards the rear about 4" and then the shift lever which has the knob on it. It's more complex than your standard F-Body shifter. I traded in a 2002 Z28 on my GTO and I had an unused Hurst shifter in my garage. 1 week into ownership I tried to install it and realized it's not possible. There are photos here somewhere on the forum that show the parts I'm talking about but I don't know where they are.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I could have swore someone stuffed an aftermarket shift kit in their GTO with a little modification. It was out of an F-body I do believe and fit just fine. Dont quote me on that as I cant remember for sure.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
CSiJason said:
I could have swore someone stuffed an aftermarket shift kit in their GTO with a little modification. It was out of an F-body I do believe and fit just fine. Dont quote me on that as I cant remember for sure.
shift kit or shifter? A shift kit from an F-Body A4 could very easily fit in a GTO A4. Not trying to be picky but there's a big difference between the 2.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Put your car up on a lift and look at where the back mounting plate for the shifter is on the trans. You will see something that moves slightly up and towards the back of the car that the real shifter actually bolts too and there is a linkage connecting it all.

The shifter in the link would bolt strait to the trans and the handle would be in 1st gear and your fist would be thru the radio.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok yeah I see it now that I have looked at some other pics....

Fine... next question... how far back would it need to be. I have the resources to make a bar similar to the one on the Ripshift but would bolt to the F Body shifter. I just need to know how far back I need to offset it. What? 4 inches?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
It was the whole shifter mechanics. They had to drill a few holes to get at two bolts easily but I do believe the whole thing was replaced.

·
Registered
250 Posts
More than a little modification.

CSiJason said:
I did. I used a Pro 5.0 for a Mustang T-56. Looking at the pic of the Camaro shifter, that one would probably work better. I had to have a piece of aluminum welded to the front to extend the base, then redrill three of the 4 holes. I made a piece to extend the stock shifter handle back to the original spot when in neutral. In first, it's a little higher, and in 2nd a little lower, but looks totally stock. Shifts great, very positive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Shag Finger said:
How far back from the actual shift point is your extension? 4, 5 inches?
I used the same length as the horizontal link on the stock shifter, 3.25 inches, I think. Another mod I forgot to mention in this thread, the trans tunnel had to be opened up a little more.
I went into a little detail in my first post about this. Search for Pro 5.0, or shifter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts