LS1GTO Forums banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Well, I have some victims lined up if I ever do decide to widen a set of 18s. Got these for a reasonable price. BOY! Were they filthy though. They need some attention to chips, scratches and a small bit of curb rash and need new paint, but they are otherwise in good shape.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well, I have some victims lined up if I ever do decide to widen a set of 18s. Got these for a reasonable price. BOY! Were they filthy though. They need some attention to chips, scratches and a small bit of curb rash and need new paint, but they are otherwise in good shape.

View attachment 513231
Those are the perfect candidates for widening, as that is exactly what I bought on Ebay!

I got my wheels back from Weldcraft this morning. All I can say is, wow! I will post some pics soon.

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Remind me, did you add an inch or an inch and a half?
1.5"
Those look great. Your making me want to do this!
That is how I felt when I spent an afternoon just searching and reading old threads about wider tires and widening wheels. This is funny... I found a thread from 2007 where I replied to some one who did exactly what I am doing and I was excited back then to do this. Funny how things work out sometimes...

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I'll be interested to see how your fitment process goes.
Haha, me too! Gonna get some washers from Lowes hopefully on Sunday and do a wheel only test fit. 99% sure some fender rolling or cutting is happening and I have been leaning more on cutting to the spot welds, but I am not concrete on what I will do there. The tires by themselves look big, but several have done this with Michelins, so I am optimistic.

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
those are ridiculously nice. awesome.
Your clear knowledge on wheel fitment and numbers has boosted my confidence in this working out. No turning back now.

Reactions: zech912

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Didn't get a chance to get up to the garage and test fit the wheels, but I did get out to get some washers for the eventual test fit once the tires are mounted and I see what needs to be done to the inner and outer fenders. The washers are not uniform in thickness. I had some measure just under 2mm and some measure almost 2.5 mm. I'll need to pay attention to that so that I get all 5 stacks of washers per wheel stud as close to even as possible. Here are some pics for your amusement...

2 packs of washers from Menards...
Material property Font Plastic Wood Transparency

Test fit on random M12x1.5 stud...
Household hardware Fastener Metal Screw Gas

One thin washer...
Gadget Musical instrument accessory Electronic device Cameras & optics Font

One thicker washer...
Camera accessory Gadget Cameras & optics Bumper Auto part

And a stack of 10 at 17mm, which would be around 50mm of offset...
Wood Tool Measuring instrument Gadget Electronic device

·
R.I.P PMD
1,413 Posts
Hey WickedGoat - look forward to seeing your pics, and as another point of reference for you and the others considering widening the OEM 18's - you will not be disappointed! Raymond got me hooked when he polished and widened his 18's, and I did mine with a 1" widen and added Michelin Super Sports 275's out back, and 235 up front. Running the Pedders XA's fairly low, and no rubbing or fender trimming was required. One disclaimer - I never have anyone in the back seat so can't comment on inner fender liner rub under full squat. Also, plenty of room to run 275's without trimming the lips, so hopefully your 285's with the spacers will need no trimming. Lastly, the 275's balanced out great, and you will love the quality of their work!

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Hey WickedGoat - look forward to seeing your pics, and as another point of reference for you and the others considering widening the OEM 18's - you will not be disappointed! Raymond got me hooked when he polished and widened his 18's, and I did mine with a 1" widen and added Michelin Super Sports 275's out back, and 235 up front. Running the Pedders XA's fairly low, and no rubbing or fender trimming was required. One disclaimer - I never have anyone in the back seat so can't comment on inner fender liner rub under full squat. Also, plenty of room to run 275's without trimming the lips, so hopefully your 285's with the spacers will need no trimming. Lastly, the 275's balanced out great, and you will love the quality of their work!
Awesome! Here is where I am so far... went to one powder shop and got an estimate for $560 for a gunmetal and clear coat finish. They don't fix curb rash so I took the wheels to a wheel repair shop and they charged me $70 to make the wheels perfect. The guy commented on Weldcraft's work and said it was some dam good weld beads. I told him that they have a stellar reputation and that is why I went to them for the widening.

I am going to check with one more guy and see what he can do for PC. I will hopefully get to him this weekend. I would say that the powder coating will be done next week and then the tires mounted and balanced next weekend. Then the test fit and spacer determination to follow. The color I am leaning on is a Ford OEM one... hyper charcoal silver that is found on their 6 spoke 20" F150 wheels. Not too dark and not too silver. That tint with a clear coat will make me happy.

We're getting closer boys!!!!!

·
R.I.P PMD
1,413 Posts
Oh wow - that charcoal silver PC should look great up against the QSM. I have been reading your spacer measurements as I have been thinking about replacing my 275/235 setup with the 285/245 configuration that you are working towards. Look forward to pics if you have time to post a few upon completion!

·
Seriously?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Absolutely! Pics and trials and tribulations will be posted. I've been running the 245s up front since 2005 with stock suspension. Had a little strut rub and an alignment solved that. I am thinking about running an 8mm spacer up front to give a 40mm offset, partly for looks and also to see if I can get some space for wheel weights with the Brembos. Don't think there will be enough room but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

you mean this color? I have them on my truck.
Awesome! Here is where I am so far... went to one powder shop and got an estimate for $560 for a gunmetal and clear coat finish. They don't fix curb rash so I took the wheels to a wheel repair shop and they charged me $70 to make the wheels perfect. The guy commented on Weldcraft's work and said it was some dam good weld beads. I told him that they have a stellar reputation and that is why I went to them for the widening.

I am going to check with one more guy and see what he can do for PC. I will hopefully get to him this weekend. I would say that the powder coating will be done next week and then the tires mounted and balanced next weekend. Then the test fit and spacer determination to follow. The color I am leaning on is a Ford OEM one... hyper charcoal silver that is found on their 6 spoke 20" F150 wheels. Not too dark and not too silver. That tint with a clear coat will make me happy.

We're getting closer boys!!!!!

61 - 80 of 128 Posts