LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to get wider in the rear? What modifications would you have to do to the fender or wheel well to get it to tuck 10" wide tires in the rear?...if it is at all possible.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
GTOkid said:
Would it be possible to get wider in the rear?
I'm not touching this one with a 2000 foot pole!
Dan

·
Banned
504 Posts
Ok wheels again. The widest you can go with no mods is 9" on the rear. The boys at BMR have 19x10's on the back of their GTO, but I remember reading they needed to do about 20hrs of work to get them to fit including notching the suspension.

As Far as getting 10's to fit on the rear, I think BMR is you best resource for info. Otherwise I can get you 9" wide wheels with 275 series tires with no mods.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
GTOkid said:
Would it be possible to get wider in the rear? What modifications would you have to do to the fender or wheel well to get it to tuck 10" wide tires in the rear?...if it is at all possible.
Eat lots and lots.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
The 18"x9" Intro GT Sport wheels (that Howie sold me) with 275/35/18 Toyo T1-S tires fit just fine and look great. No mods required. The combination is actually a fraction SMALLER in diameter than the stock wheels with 245/45/17 tires.

Now, as for WIDTH, I don't see any possible way you could go much wider without mods.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Research

Howie and a lot of other folks did exhaustive research on this (see the old posts). There is just no way to go larger than they and Florit said without doing something drastic like rolling the lips and ballooning the fenderwells. For myself, I'm just not going to go there. I'll settle for the largest BFG KD tire I can get in there sizewise on an 18 inch version of the stock rim, and save the 17's as is for off season when push comes to shove and I need to do it.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Ummm, are these wide enough?

19" x 9.5" TSW Thruxtons, 40mm offset, hubcentric, forged.

Up front, 19" x 8":

All mount up perfectly with no modifications, rolling fenders, etc.:

And another:

Padre

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice rims, They scare me though I keep hearing race me, race me, race me, every time I look at the photos. They would probably get me in a lot of trouble.

·
8,959 Posts
darkitec said:
Nice rims, They scare me though I keep hearing race me, race me, race me, every time I look at the photos. They would probably get me in a lot of trouble.
Hehe. Actually, that's the plan. :) Minus the getting in trouble part. ;)

Padre

·
Banned
504 Posts
PadreGTO said:

Padre
9.5" wide with 40mm of offset with no fender mods?? Have you driven the car yet? Yeah, they may fit you you set it on the ground but the issue is when you either corner or accelerate. Judging by this pic the tires are gonna hit the fender lip when the rear end squats down. The GTO's IRS doesn't camber in as much as say a Vette under accleration.

·
8,959 Posts
Howie said:
Judging by this pic the tires are gonna hit the fender lip when the rear end squats down.
Well, I have driven one with similar 19x8's on all corners, but not with the 9.5's. The 8's were no problem, and the ride was great (not as bumpy as you might expect). I'll be sure to test them, though, both under acceleration and cornering. Gotta wait till next week, though. I'll let you know.

Padre

·
Banned
504 Posts
Those specs would work with an 8" wheel but not with a 9.5" wheel. Please becareful when you first drive with the 9.5's on. I'm certain they're gonna rub. You'll probably just have to roll the fender lips. Shoot me an email after you try it out. Thanks!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Personally I like the look of low pro's but the GOAT is a rubber eater so I am sticking with something bigger......

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
GTOkid said:
Would it be possible to get wider in the rear?
A tight end would be a better choice than a wide reciever.

·
Registered
98 Posts
PadreGTO said:

Up front, 19" x 8":

All mount up perfectly with no modifications, rolling fenders, etc.:

And another:

Padre
How are those working? Very nice looking.

·
DOG
626 Posts
The 40 mm offset gives him the room, but I don't like how it sticks out more. Its not horrible, but its not my preference either. I'd be interested in a similar set in 17x9 on the back so I could fit the 275's on better. I might go try getting a nitto 275 on the stock rim and see how it goes.

·
8,959 Posts
GTOsoon said:
How are those working? Very nice looking.
I'll know next week. I'm having all the work done at once (heads, cam, all the bolt-ons) and took the pic in the shop. Hopefully they'll be no rubbing on the 9.5's. And if the weather's nice, I may be at the track next Monday for some 1/4-mile times.

Padre

·
Registered
98 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I'll know next week. I'm having all the work done at once (heads, cam, all the bolt-ons) and took the pic in the shop. Hopefully they'll be no rubbing on the 9.5's. And if the weather's nice, I may be at the track next Monday for some 1/4-mile times.

Padre
You wouldnt happen to know the weight of each rim/tire would ya?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts