LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange thing happen to my temp gauge today... Just left the highway after 45 mins of stop the go traffic, All of the sudden my dashboard started "singing" an the display said eng temp high...I looked at the guage and the needle was all the way past H. In a panic I pulled over and immeditly turned on the heater. Within 1 second the needle drop halfway down to around I'd say 220(?) and the singing stoped....Anyone ever hear of this? There is no way turning on the heat could lower the temp that much in a split second. Think my themostat is going or is this electronical?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I stopped for a quick lunch and about a half hour later started up. The needle climbed to H and a warning message of Hot Engine Temp flashed on the screen. 5 seconds later it went back to normal.

Haven't seen it since. The dealer advised if it happens again bring it in. Only 200 miles on odometer.

Matt
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
I'd call the dealer... even if they tell you the same thing Matt did, you need it on record that it happened in case you have further issues.
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Sounds like another Body Control Module Cable thing to me. Might be if it's an A4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt said:
I had the same thing happen. I stopped for a quick lunch and about a half hour later started up. The needle climbed to H and a warning message of Hot Engine Temp flashed on the screen. 5 seconds later it went back to normal.

Haven't seen it since. The dealer advised if it happens again bring it in. Only 200 miles on odometer.

Matt
Thanks...good to know I'm not the only one. Please let me know if you find out anymore...Likewize if I hear any thing I'll let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old Goat said:
Sounds like another Body Control Module Cable thing to me. Might be if it's an A4.
Correct, it is an A4. Sorry for not mentioning that, I'm a little embarrassed about that :wall:
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,384 Posts
Have you messed with the cooling system? SOunds to me like an air bubble when you're trying to top it all off after changing T-Stat's or something.
 

·
DOG
Joined
·
626 Posts
Saw it in my M6 after a hard couple of runs and right after I restarted the engine. Most definitely sounds like an air bubble. Only saw it once. Probably would have never noticed if it wasn't for the DIC warning.

I'm not worried. My analog gauges in the chevelle did it from time to time too.
 

·
Yes, it has a car seat
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
I was driving in to work one morning and right about the time I'd be getting close to full temps it dinged and said high temp in the DIC. By the time I got pulled into a parking lot, things were back to normal. I shut the car off and restarted it and haven't seen an issue since (about a month ago).
I also had the needle speedometer to nuts once about 2 weeks before that - again I shut it off and restarted and it went away and hasn't come back since.
Still better than Windows! :)
(Knock on wood to this whole post, of course).
Dan
 

·
Sensible Contributor
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Have you messed with the cooling system? SOunds to me like an air bubble when you're trying to top it all off after changing T-Stat's or something.
I reckon you're on the money. Modern cars usually have the heater above the radiator and so if you change or modifiy coolant it is vital you bleed it for some time with the heater on. I have heard of some people even putting the front of the car on ramps to get the heater lower down to move air locks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
M6 here-same thing happened after only driving 1/2 mile in the morning in 70 degree weather, so I don't think it really overheated that quick. I pulled over immediately and it went back to normal as soon as I did. Only incident in almost 7,000 miles of driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Did not mess with the cooling system. It sounds like Old Goat and Bronko91 are right on. I will drop it off tonight and report back the findings.

Thanks Again/Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going up to the dealer again tonight as well.... and no, I haven't touched the cooling system at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Yup, as pointed out before... It is the issue with the BCM. I had the same thing happen to me.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
This issue happened to me on Friday within 2 hours of driving the car off the lot. I haven't made any modifications to the vehicle [yet].

My dealer didn't know anything about this when I mentioned it to them yesterday. Would you be able to tell me the TSB #?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
I dropped my car off at the dealer tonight and they gave me an 04 Grand Am 4-door. After looking at the dashboard on this car I just kept wondering for what planet did Pontiac design this car. IMHO, with all the humps and such this has to be the ugliest dash I have ever seen.

If this what Pontiac is designing, I only hope they keep importing "bland,dated looking" vehicles from Holden.

Yikes!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt said:
I dropped my car off at the dealer tonight and they gave me an 04 Grand Am 4-door. After looking at the dashboard on this car I just kept wondering for what planet did Pontiac design this car. IMHO, with all the humps and such this has to be the ugliest dash I have ever seen.

If this what Pontiac is designing, I only hope they keep importing "bland,dated looking" vehicles from Holden.

Yikes!!!!!
I went to the dealer today also..they knew nothing about the problem let alone the bcm. I drove over 200 miles today and the problem didn't reoccur.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top