LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
40,751 Posts
i mean, you could rig up a 200k ohm resistor and a small potentiometer in series, use that in the circuit in place of the key, and vary the resistance with the potentiometer until you can get the engine to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i mean, you could rig up a 200k ohm resistor and a small potentiometer in series, use that in the circuit in place of the key, and vary the resistance with the potentiometer until you can get the engine to start.
I could if I had a BCM... Looks like the signal goes to the BCM, then the ECU. The circuit clearly shows power going to that ring... I feel like I somehow know less now, hahaha! The circuit could be safe if it is current limited. 1 amp or less doesn't pose much of a fire hazard. And it is charging that key fob somehow, it's baffling that you showed 0 volts. I'm going to compare this to the circuit of an older Camaro next, and see if I can figure this out.

·
Worthless reject member
40,751 Posts
FWIW i would just shut off VATS with hptuners, or pay someone to do it.

I'm going to try measuring it when i turn the key to start the car. I need to rig something up with alligator clips or something so i can have a free hand to turn the key.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
31 Posts
To me it would be hard to replicate the resistance of the key with a resistor considering the tolerances on resistors used could put it out of range to what the computer wants to see. A lot of resistors are +/- 5% of the value it advertises. 200k ohms 5 % being around 10k ohms.

I also read where the key is a life sealed key etc. I’ve had an issue with having to push the unlock button prior to starting to get it to start or it won’t. Sounds to me I need to get a new key and have it programmed. Anyway, if you can solve this mystery it would help a whole lot of us out.

·
Worthless reject member
40,751 Posts
To me it would be hard to replicate the resistance of the key with a resistor considering the tolerances on resistors used could put it out of range to what the computer wants to see. A lot of resistors are +/- 5% of the value it advertises. 200k ohms 5 % being around 10k ohms.

I also read where the key is a life sealed key etc. I’ve had an issue with having to push the unlock button prior to starting to get it to start or it won’t. Sounds to me I need to get a new key and have it programmed. Anyway, if you can solve this mystery it would help a whole lot of us out.
If the BCM doesn't detect the proper key, it will not disarm the theft system. Pressing the unlock button first on the FOB disarms it.

If you have VATS disabled on your ECM, and have the non original ECM, you may have this issue. You just have to make sure to unlock the car with the key fob unlock button to disarm the system so you can start the car.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts