LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BlubBlubBlubBlubBlub
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running drag bags are guys seeing rub still without cutting/rolling fenders??

Thx
OUT

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
I'll let you know sometime next week. I'm going to try and pull it off without cutting or rolling.

·
What??? Next!!!
50 Posts
I've got MT's 275/17's w/bags on my '06 no rubbing . The only time I had a problem was prior to having bags installed with 3 of us in the car making a hard left turns. From what I understand the MT's run a little wider than the BFG's , and possbly hook a little better also, not to say Bfg's aren't as good.:gears:

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
Braz'in06 said:
I've got MT's 275/17's w/bags on my '06 no rubbing . The only time I had a problem was prior to having bags installed with 3 of us in the car making a hard left turns. From what I understand the MT's run a little wider than the BFG's , and possbly hook a little better also, not to say Bfg's aren't as good.:gears:
The M/T's are approximately 3/8" wider I would say. That is comparing them both unmounted.

·
All Motor 11 Second Club
1,347 Posts
I have bags on both GTOs and have run BFG 18x275 DRs on 9.5 inch Thruxtons with no rubbing or fender rolling.

12-15 pounds of air in the bags is required.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
OpenWheel said:
I have bags on both GTOs and have run BFG 18x275 DRs on 9.5 inch Thruxtons with no rubbing or fender rolling.

Good info. Hopefully my car will be the same way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just get 'em cut to be safe, had mine done yesterday. Shop used a jig saw, very little heat was noticeable. Smoothed with die grinder and pad. 60 bucks, took about an hour. When I got home, I applied some metal sealant. You can't even tell.

p.s.
I have bags also, but everytime I drove the car the thought of rubbing was always there. For 60 bucks, it's great piece-of-mind.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
BriVG said:
Just get 'em cut to be safe, had mine done yesterday. Shop used a jig saw, very little heat was noticeable. Smoothed with die grinder and pad. 60 bucks, took about an hour. When I got home, I applied some metal sealant. You can't even tell.

p.s.
I have bags also, but everytime I drove the car the thought of rubbing was always there. For 60 bucks, it's great piece-of-mind.

Northeast Wisconsin...where?????

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
OpenWheel said:
+1

275/40 17" BFG DR's w/drag bags here.

They do rub but keep the psi in the bags at least 10. Go around a corner hard and they will rub regardless.

If you race the car at the drags then air it up at least to 20lbs because it will squat and cut the tire even with Koni's on full firm.

Going to get my fender well lips cut off in the future.

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
I have 275/40/17 M/T right now with Drag bags and pedder springs... I have a TON of room. Maybe like 2-4 inches. I am thinking about getting some 18" wheels and BFG 295 or 315 or whatever I can get under there

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed Speed Inc drag bags last week and mounted Nitto 275/40-17 DR’s on a spare set of stock 17’s. I installed 2 airlines so I could adjust pressure on each side. No cutting or rolling. I drove 3hrs to the track and back on the DR’s with 5 psi in the bags and never rubbed once. I drove it hard, ran over railroad tracks etc. trying to make it rub. Yes, the tires are wider than the wheel well flange but I think because of the curvature of the Nitto it is harder to rub. I looked at a set of MT's on stock 17's and they are flatter and the guy said he had to roll his fenders. Forgive the dirty car pictures…I got back from the track and it started to rain so I took the shots before I washed the car. I didn’t check with a straight edge but I think my right wheel sticks out a little farther than the left. In the pictures below there is 4.5-5 psi in the bags and is how I drive it on the street. FYI….at the track, 12 psi left bag, 14psi right, tires 22psi. Cut a 1.85 60ft and never spun all day. Car is bone stock and raced like on the street (spare tire etc).

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here are the Left side pictures of Nitto DR 275/40-17:

·
BlubBlubBlubBlubBlub
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.85??? Nitto's??? Booyah, I guess I'll order them up.

OUT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts