LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my GTO was ran into the other day. While i await the estimate, I thought id throw a picture up and see what everyone thinks. It did not drive straight at all. Hood does have some damage as well.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Worthless reject member
84,741 Posts
that's definitely fixable, especially if the frame rail hasn't deflected. i don't think that's the case here. the fender and bumper are obviously damaged, probably upper rail and parts of the apron panel (inner fender and wheelhouse basically, but those might be ok enough to get pulled, not sure what a competent body guy would say. core support area could be crunched a little as well.

suspension parts are bent but that's replaceable.

question is if you're going to go through insurance or not.

no matter what you do, if it is fixed, find a place that will do it RIGHT.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Based upon body parts alone, it’s only going to be fixable if you can find used parts from another wrecked GTO. Believe aftermarket fenders are available, but have heard from numerous folks that the quality is terrible. Good luck.

· GTOless
8,900 Posts
That doesn’t look too bad honestly. If the headlight is damaged, I have brand new RH headlights for about half the price of GM list. I also have oem side markers if you had the original side markers.

The bumper cover looks useable, it may just have a torn tab where the cover mounts to the bumper bracket. I’m sure you can find a fender from one of the few companies that buy wrecked GTO’s.

As for it not driving straight, it’s probably something bent in the suspension, but it doesn’t look like it took too hard of an impact, so I think that will be relatively minor. If you need any help, just PM me.

Edit: I do see the bumper cover is torn a little bit. It probably could still be fixed, but there are used bumpers out there too.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's definitely fixable, especially if the frame rail hasn't deflected. i don't think that's the case here. the fender and bumper are obviously damaged, probably upper rail and parts of the apron panel (inner fender and wheelhouse basically, but those might be ok enough to get pulled, not sure what a competent body guy would say. core support area could be crunched a little as well.

suspension parts are bent but that's replaceable.

question is if you're going to go through insurance or not.

no matter what you do, if it is fixed, find a place that will do it RIGHT.
Definitely going through insurance. Their insurance company is taking 100% responsibility. Ill let everyone know what the shop/insurance company says!

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The preliminary estimate based on visual damage came back at over 7 thousand dollars. This does not include anything underneath or any additional damage they find during disassembly.
I think she may be gone. Will update again once the final estimate is provided.

· Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, my GTO was ran into the other day. While i await the estimate, I thought id throw a picture up and see what everyone thinks. It did not drive straight at all. Hood does have some damage as well. View attachment 523215
Scraplife Garage does a lot of recon on 04-06 GTO's, here is one of their videos
. depending on what you really want to do might be the time to do some upgrades instead of replacing stock parts. Peddlers offers some kits to look into. Hope this helps...... Parts are out there just hard to find and they are not cheap.

· Worthless reject member
84,741 Posts
Scraplife Garage does a lot of recon on 04-06 GTO's, here is one of their videos
. depending on what you really want to do might be the time to do some upgrades instead of replacing stock parts. Peddlers offers some kits to look into. Hope this helps...... Parts are out there just hard to find and they are not cheap.
screw them.

· Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Update: The preliminary estimate based on visual damage came back at over 7 thousand dollars. This does not include anything underneath or any additional damage they find during disassembly.
What exactly were they including in that $7000 figure (a hood, fender and bumper)?
Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle hit it?

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
How many miles were on the GTO? Any other previous accidents or damage? What sort of hidden damage did they uncover?

Sadly we've come to the point in the life of these cars where the supply of repair parts has almost evaporated. An insurance company isn't going to want to deal with fixing a vehicle that will be a headache for them; especially if they need to scour wrecking yards for replacement parts to fix a vehicle.

At the end of the day, it's just a car. If you really like GTO's, you can certainly go find another one that hasn't been in a wreck. Or, if the price is right and you can source all the required parts and have a good body shop, buy the car back and fix it up.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Time to start insuring these things as classics and at a stated value. Both of mine are insured through Hagerty in such a way. Costs less than normal insurance which only insures them for a blue book value.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Time to start insuring these things as classics and at a stated value. Both of mine are insured through Hagerty in such a way. Costs less than normal insurance which only insures them for a blue book value.
Same here, but that’s only a viable option if your GTO (or any collectible vehicle for that matter) isn’t a daily driver. My policy would also be significantly more if I didn’t have a secured garage that is on my own property.

Folks that would daily drive their GTO’s and park them outside are realistically stuck with your run of the mill insurance.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Same here, but that’s only a viable option if your GTO (or any collectible vehicle for that matter) isn’t a daily driver. My policy would also be significantly more if I didn’t have a secured garage that is on my own property.

Folks that would daily drive their GTO’s and park them outside are realistically stuck with your run of the mill insurance.
I think Hagerty has a daily driver option, but probably costs more to check off that feature.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts