LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Based upon body parts alone, it’s only going to be fixable if you can find used parts from another wrecked GTO. Believe aftermarket fenders are available, but have heard from numerous folks that the quality is terrible. Good luck.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
How many miles were on the GTO? Any other previous accidents or damage? What sort of hidden damage did they uncover?

Sadly we've come to the point in the life of these cars where the supply of repair parts has almost evaporated. An insurance company isn't going to want to deal with fixing a vehicle that will be a headache for them; especially if they need to scour wrecking yards for replacement parts to fix a vehicle.

At the end of the day, it's just a car. If you really like GTO's, you can certainly go find another one that hasn't been in a wreck. Or, if the price is right and you can source all the required parts and have a good body shop, buy the car back and fix it up.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Time to start insuring these things as classics and at a stated value. Both of mine are insured through Hagerty in such a way. Costs less than normal insurance which only insures them for a blue book value.
Same here, but that’s only a viable option if your GTO (or any collectible vehicle for that matter) isn’t a daily driver. My policy would also be significantly more if I didn’t have a secured garage that is on my own property.

Folks that would daily drive their GTO’s and park them outside are realistically stuck with your run of the mill insurance.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Nope, Hagerty only covers classics/collectable cars. You must own another regular use vehicle with insurance through a separate insurance policy. I also had to send Hagerty my declarations page for the daily drivers to prove this before they would even sign off on coverage for the GTO and Challenger.

I do believe Grundy offers both classic/collectable and daily driver insurance programs though. I vaguely remember looking into Grundy and finding that you cannot get an agreed value policy on a daily driver though, so it's really not a viable option to consider unless your car is indeed a second car used only occasionally.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Yeah, if ever there was a good time to have a GTO totalled under a standard insurance policy, the last 2 years have been really kind to the used car market in regards to values.

Still, there's more info needed to determine why the car would have been totalled and what it's current value is. A 10k mile garage queen GTO with no previous accidents is worth substantially more than one that has spent its entire life as a daily driver, sat outside, has over 100k miles, and has a prior accident or 2 under it's belt. Need to know where the OP's sits in that spectrum.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts