LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Nope, Hagerty only covers classics/collectable cars. You must own another regular use vehicle with insurance through a separate insurance policy. I also had to send Hagerty my declarations page for the daily drivers to prove this before they would even sign off on coverage for the GTO and Challenger.

I do believe Grundy offers both classic/collectable and daily driver insurance programs though. I vaguely remember looking into Grundy and finding that you cannot get an agreed value policy on a daily driver though, so it's really not a viable option to consider unless your car is indeed a second car used only occasionally.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
I signed up with Hagerty about 3-4 months ago and I didn't have to share anything about my daily. I did have to make statements about the expected number of miles expected to be put on each car in a year. I did have to declare that the car in question in a particular policy was or was not being used as the main mode of transportation. Maybe the policy would have been rejected if I said it was a daily? I got the impression it would have just cost more had I chosen that.

Could be some regional differences too I suppose.

· Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,489 Posts
curious what the insurance company market value of that car was to total it? I know GTO values have gone up the last few years did they do good by you and give you a fair price? Or do you need to go and find comparable sale prices and bring their number up?
Sold mine for 24k last year.

· Administrator
11,736 Posts
Yeah, if ever there was a good time to have a GTO totalled under a standard insurance policy, the last 2 years have been really kind to the used car market in regards to values.

Still, there's more info needed to determine why the car would have been totalled and what it's current value is. A 10k mile garage queen GTO with no previous accidents is worth substantially more than one that has spent its entire life as a daily driver, sat outside, has over 100k miles, and has a prior accident or 2 under it's belt. Need to know where the OP's sits in that spectrum.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

· The Wulff
4,178 Posts
I signed up with Hagerty about 3-4 months ago and I didn't have to share anything about my daily. I did have to make statements about the expected number of miles expected to be put on each car in a year. I did have to declare that the car in question in a particular policy was or was not being used as the main mode of transportation. Maybe the policy would have been rejected if I said it was a daily? I got the impression it would have just cost more had I chosen that.

Could be some regional differences too I suppose.
Hagerty will reject the application if you say it is being used as a commuter or daily driver. Now they would probably point you to state farm given their partnership

· Super Moderator
32,068 Posts
I have an agreed value policy with NCM on my C5 for 25k. NCM has an option to allow up to 2 days a week drive to work plan. You can set the mileage allowance for a year up to as high as 6k milers per year which is what I have plus the 2 days to work option. You also are allowed to rollover unused miles for a given year. Car must be secured but doesn't have to be a garage. Also have high coverages for my person and low deductibles. This is 44 dollars a month.

On initial sign up you do have to show proof it's not your only vehicle which is not big deal as the car is not a daily to begin with.

A lot of people don't know but NCM will insure other cars besides Corvettes and I know they would insure late GTOs.

I personally don't find their restrictions to be as obnoxious as some fine print readers want you to believe. NCM will clearly tell you the 3 claims they have denied in the last 20 years and none of them were because you got in a fender bender stopping at the store on the way home from work to pick up some eggs for the old lady. I drove the C5 around 4k miles this past year and I never once felt like I was being restricted.

As stated earlier on in the thread, if you own a GTO as your only car you are pretty committed to standard insurance.

· quasi-boob
634 Posts
I'd fight for the repair. Back in 2012 I had a similar collision. No frame damage (hoping yours doesn't have any) but front corner was all kinds of messed up. Insurance quoted 12K because they use new OEM parts prices which even back there were ridiculous. Took 6 months of fighting and then working with a body shop but I got mine fixed and still have a clean title. Always fight for the ones you love!

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

· Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
742 Posts
I agree. Possibly see see if they can do a teardown and put on the frame machine and check the frame specs. Then see what it needs and procure your own used parts. See if that's an option? If the car is clean and in good running order what's to lose.

I know one thing. All this talk. I'm looking into Hagerty and seeing about an agreed value policy myself and what the mileage and drivability stipulations are. Heck they even offer coverage on spare parts! Cause if that ever happens to me. I'd just buy a really nice low mileage example GTO most likely.

· GTOless
8,900 Posts
I’d have them send you over the estimate and see what they are charging for parts. I’m sure you can find them for a whole lot cheaper. Unless there is a lot of hidden damage, that is a pretty simple fix.

· Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I wouldn't get hung up on Hagerty. There are several other options out there that offer agreed value policies. Do your homework.

Trust me this comes up daily on the plastic car forum.
I'm not sure anyone is hung up on them, I just wanted to post my preliminary quote to get people thinking.
I know I get stagnant with auto insurance (I've been with my current company for about 11 years and with Progressive for at least 10 years before that).
I pay it then forget about it for the next six months.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Stated values are obtainable from standard insurance companies. I had one.

#buyavettetho
I had stated value policies with State Farm for decades. Then they dropped me stating they no longer off such policies, referred me to Hagerty. Now they are partnered with Hagerty.

· Chickun maka lousy houspet
1,008 Posts
I'll leave a link to my 'rebuild' thread here.
👇 👇 👇

21 - 40 of 44 Posts