LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been beating my head against the wall on this, but I want a lightweight rim, 18x8 up front, 18x9 in the rear. Mounted with 245/40-18 and 275/35-18. According to the FAQ on this site, they should fit beautifully.

I know the stock offset is 48mm and the centerbore is 69.5mm.

These rims are OZ Superleggera's, with the 5x120 bolt pattern and a 40mm offset. The 18x8's weigh 17.4 pounds, the 18x9's weigh in at 19.6 pounds. I have no idea about the centerbore.

So, as I understand fitment, the 40mm offset will mean they will be 8mm further out. That doesn't seem to be much of a problem as I imagine it would be hardly noticeable. But will there be rubbing issues?

Next question: what about the centerbore? That was something I was completely unaware of till I read another thread in this forum. Is it something I need to worry about or is there a workaround if the centerbore doesn't match?

Thanks, Padre

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I wouldn't spend that much money unless I was sure. The offset on my 18x9" wheels that are on the way are 43mm and I know they will fit. You will have a 5mm difference there, that is not much but it's hard to tell. There is not much wiggle room here at all. 275 tires just barely fit and I don't think there is any fudging in either direction. You could possibly have to roll your fenders.

·
Registered
102 Posts
PadreGTO

Those wheels will fit, but they will not be hub-centric. That is the hub opening in the wheel is larger than 69.5 and so the wheel will be located totally by the lugnuts. I do not know if the wheels with tires on them will
fit, there is not much clearance in the front wheelwell.

As far as the wheels go
I have heard:
1. Hub Centric is the only way to go. (TireRack's official stance)
2. Hub Centric is not important at all. (Several other retailers)
3. Hub Centric is the best way, but if you take care when mounting and
dismounting the wheels , they will work just fine. I heard this from several credible sources, including a couple of sellers.

You pays your money, you takes your chances. I guess.

Carguy

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have also been looking into this and wanted to mention...

If the center bore is bigger, you can purchase rings that will adjust the size to fit. I have done this with good results. If the center bore is smaller, "sometimes" you can have them bored out. Another alternative are centering lug nuts. I don't really have any real life experience with these so I can't comment.

·
Registered
835 Posts
with the offset you mention the 18x9 will definately rub in the back with 275's. you will have to roll your fenders, I know because I did it with 245 tires and 40 offset. in fact I don't know if you will even be able to roll your fenders enough to make it fit. Talk to "howey" he has all the offsets and info you need to make 275's work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts