LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Post Mortem
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few months ive been read threw the threads on this site and i'm finding alot of info one my Goat from various members , God bless all of you the info has been very helpful. My question is one that maybe someone else has asked and i may have missed but im looking to get new rims for my car and was wondering if a 17x8 inch with 38mm will fit with no mods or fender rolling? I know its a 10mm diference from stock but is 10mm too much?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
mike24 said:
was wondering if a 17x8 inch with 38mm will fit with no mods or fender rolling? I know its a 10mm diference from stock but is 10mm too much?
Maybe, just maybe. If you keep the stock width on the rims and aspect ratio on the tires, you have a little room to play with. But just be careful. My vendor swore that the rims he sold me would fit, and I just had my fenders rolled today to fit them. :(

If possible, try them on first. Take it out, do some hard acceleration and hard cornering. Only way to know for sure.

Padre

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Dumb chick question...

What is done when fenders are rolled? Why is it bad?

·
8,959 Posts
Huntress said:
Dumb chick question... What is done when fenders are rolled? Why is it bad?
Not dumb at all. I didn't know until I got it done today. Basically, rub your fingers on the rear fender well at the top - where the top of your tires would rub if they're too big. You'll notice that there is a "lip" there that extends inwards 1-2cm.

To "roll the fenders" they remove the wheel and mount a tool in its place. The tool is basically a small rubber wheel on a heavy device that is pressed against the lip. With a little brute force, it pushes the "lip" upwards and inwards. Once done, it gives you 5-10mm more clearance for the tires.

Not bad per se - stock appearance remains the same - but it sure is not fun to watch. If not done professionally, it can crack the paint on the outside of the fender or leave "dimples", but when done well it's not noticeable.

I'm happy with mine, but was hoping I could mount some new rims without having to do it.

Padre

·
2,137 Posts
Thanks for the quick response.

How much did it cost?

·
8,959 Posts
Huntress said:
How much did it cost?
Nada. They sold me the rims on the promise they would fit. They didn't. I told them they were going to roll the fenders, or else. Fenders rolled, no cost. I like the rims and also like the vendor, so it all worked out.

Takes less than an hour. So if you have to actually pay for it, then whatever their hourly rates are.

Padre

·
2,137 Posts
Ahhhh very good for you. :D

This would be a very good reason to purchase from a local shop.

BTW... the work you've done to your car is simply awe inspiring :thumbs:

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts