LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Wife hated it
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running Wilwood brakes on their GTOs?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was told by Wilwood on Friday that they don't expect to release the GTO kit for about 2-3 more weeks.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
PFYC said:
I was told by Wilwood on Friday that they don't expect to release the GTO kit for about 2-3 more weeks.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
Mike...

what is the hot brake package for the car as of now?

thanks...

Mike

·
Registered
540 Posts
GTO4Ever said:
what is the hot brake package for the car as of now?
If your budget allows, the AP Racing setup is probably pretty good however we haven't tested it. Baer still hasn't released their kit yet. Of all of the kits we've been looking over, we are most anticipating the Wilwood kit. It is what we will be putting on our own car. If you are looking for something now, I think waiting for the Wilwood kit will be worth the wait.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
PFYC said:
If your budget allows, the AP Racing setup is probably pretty good however we haven't tested it. Baer still hasn't released their kit yet. Of all of the kits we've been looking over, we are most anticipating the Wilwood kit. It is what we will be putting on our own car. If you are looking for something now, I think waiting for the Wilwood kit will be worth the wait.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
any idea on costs yet?

thanks...

·
Registered
540 Posts
GTO4Ever said:
any idea on costs yet?
MSRP for the front kit $2152 and $1104 for the rear. We'll be among the first to have them on our car, track tested and in stock.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
PFYC said:
MSRP for the front kit $2152 and $1104 for the rear. We'll be among the first to have them on our car, track tested and in stock.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
bit more than i want to spend..... but thanks..

·
Registered
540 Posts
phobos512 said:
What are the planned specs on the Wilwood kit?
Fronts will be 13" rotors with 6 piston calipers, rears will be 11.xx" rotors (can't remember exactly off the top of my head) with 4 piston calipers.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
PFYC said:
Fronts will be 13" rotors with 6 piston calipers, rears will be 11.xx" rotors (can't remember exactly off the top of my head) with 4 piston calipers.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
For $2100 less than the AP Racing setup? Wowsa...Think I'm in...

·
I Hate Spunk
3,192 Posts
Is anybody out there actually running this setup? I like that it fits under stock wheels, and that it should definitely hold up to the occasional track day. But I'd like to hear from somebody with experience running these brakes on a daily driver - are they *too* track-oriented?

·
05/06 AEROFORCE HERE NOW!!!
2,352 Posts
I thought I read that Willwoods dont have dust covers to keep junk from getting inside the pistons ...is that true?
Yes, to save weight, they pistons are hollowed out...fear not, there isn't too much that gets in there. I have a few sets of NASCAR takeoffs (Wilwood GT6000, Integras, Ultralites, and a few others) and they barely have anything inside the piston. I'm going to try to put some of these on.

I've already asked this, but got no answer. Seeing as I haven't had a chance to pop the wheel off and go mucking around yet, what is the bolt hole spacing for the calipers (mount spacing). thanks.

Stoptech probably has a setup that will fit our cars...not sure on $ though.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Snafu said:
They do, 4 pot black calipers & slotted rotors = $2k, no rear fitment because they are made to work with the stock brakes magically preserving the brake balance that they insist every other aftermarket braking kit destroys. :)

For $2k I'm getting the Baer's. Front and rear.

·
2,352 Posts
phobos512 said:
They do, 4 pot black calipers & slotted rotors = $2k, no rear fitment because they are made to work with the stock brakes magically preserving the brake balance that they insist every other aftermarket braking kit destroys. :)

For $2k I'm getting the Baer's. Front and rear.
Don't know too much about the company other than that they are used in racing...are you saying they're full of it?

·
2004 GTO Impulse/Bermuda M6
149 Posts
Snafu said:
Yes, to save weight, they pistons are hollowed out...fear not, there isn't too much that gets in there.

What do you refer to as dust covers? If you mean the center of the brake caliper piston is hollow? that is OK, most are. Do they have dust boots? That is a dirt seal that goes around the piston and keeps junk from getting between the piston and the caliper body. This is not the caliper piston seal which is behind the dust boot and is the actual seal that holds in the brake fluid amongst doing other things. I would not use these for road use if they don't have dust boots.

I would like to know if the stoptech set up fits inside the stock GTO wheel. The website fitment guide leaves something to be desired, like a definite answer. As for the rest of the website information everything they describe is accurate. If they really do go through the brake balance calculations their set up should be pretty good, except they don't mention how they know what the factory rear brake is doing. Short of putting on a set of torque wheels and actually plotting out vehicle level data I don't know how they truly know where their balance is. Really I think they have an educated guess which may be better than average. I would be inclined to buy their set up though over the Wilwood if it fits in the stock wheel.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
blu04 said:
What do you refer to as dust covers? If you mean the center of the brake caliper piston is hollow? that is OK, most are. Do they have dust boots? That is a dirt seal that goes around the piston and keeps junk from getting between the piston and the caliper body. This is not the caliper piston seal which is behind the dust boot and is the actual seal that holds in the brake fluid amongst doing other things. I would not use these for road use if they don't have dust boots.

I would like to know if the stoptech set up fits inside the stock GTO wheel. The website fitment guide leaves something to be desired, like a definite answer. As for the rest of the website information everything they describe is accurate. If they really do go through the brake balance calculations their set up should be pretty good, except they don't mention how they know what the factory rear brake is doing. Short of putting on a set of torque wheels and actually plotting out vehicle level data I don't know how they truly know where their balance is. Really I think they have an educated guess which may be better than average. I would be inclined to buy their set up though over the Wilwood if it fits in the stock wheel.
I've got my stock wheels in a pile in my garage, I can print out that fitment guide and post up about it tomorrow morning if you really want to know.

As far as Stoptech being full of it...Why would I spend $2k on only front brakes when I can spend $2k and get front and rear? They make it sound like they're the only people who build braking systems correctly if you read the spiel on their www site. Seems hokey to me. I have heard good things about the system but seems like they're overpriced or something.

·
2,352 Posts
blu04 said:
Seems I had a brain fart...I'll have to take another look a the calipers... :wall:

·
2004 GTO Impulse/Bermuda M6
149 Posts
phobos512 said:
I've got my stock wheels in a pile in my garage, I can print out that fitment guide and post up about it tomorrow morning if you really want to know.

As far as Stoptech being full of it...Why would I spend $2k on only front brakes when I can spend $2k and get front and rear? They make it sound like they're the only people who build braking systems correctly if you read the spiel on their www site. Seems hokey to me. I have heard good things about the system but seems like they're overpriced or something.

I have to agree about the price, a little steep but it really comes down to what you get. If you want 4 corner brake upgrade the front rear kits from PBR, HSV and Baer do it. If you want to do some track running and have a consistent brake pedal you better start looking at Stopteck, Wilwood, AP, and any other opposed piston calipers on the market.

·
Suck it Trebek
1,502 Posts
phobos512 said:

Take it for what it's worth....pg2
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14320&page=2&pp=30&highlight=baer

I've used stoptech before on another car and their systems are probably the best aftermarket brakes out there, to include brembo. They took the brembo F40 caliper design and improved upon it. Their "aero-rotor" has a TON of research into it. Top shelf stuff.

Baer brakes are a good upgrade street brake, but I don't know if I would use them on a road course. I'll never take my GTO to the road course, it is just not made for it as a package. But I will upgrade the brakes at some point for the street. Baer will probably be my choice.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts