LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Default Title
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm certain this has been discussed in the past but had no luck searching ..

Does Wilwood 140-15408-R fit inside the factory 18's?

Link

Any good writeups/guides on the install?

·
TACHNUP
2,302 Posts
Yes, it will fit stock 18s.

You will also need new flex lines and the fittings for the caliper. They aren't included in the kit. If you use lines with AN fittings at both ends, you will need adapter fittings for the line on the frame.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i am not attacking Wilwood products because they are good. But, Wilwood calipers are for racing and do not have dust covers on the pistons. The idea is that the racer bleeds the system often so dust collection in the piston and fluid is not a factor.

Great caliper though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why not just do the CTS-V Brembo swap? I did it on the front of mine for a quarter of the cost of what your link is asking

·
Default Title
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am not attacking Wilwood products because they are good. But, Wilwood calipers are for racing and do not have dust covers on the pistons. The idea is that the racer bleeds the system often so dust collection in the piston and fluid is not a factor.

Great caliper though.
Thanks - the kit linked to has the "dust-seal" calipers, does that address the issue?

·
Default Title
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not just do the CTS-V Brembo swap? I did it on the front of mine for a quarter of the cost of what your link is asking
I don't know much about that swap but it looks like it's not exactly a bolt-on?

One thing I like about the Wilwood option is that it's all new parts. Brakes are an area where I'd rather not cut corners.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
994 Posts
CTS-V front calipers are bolt-on when you buy the adapter Bohman sells. Rotors only require like 5mm of additional hub diameter machined. All of the parts can be bought new for cheap off of Amazon.

Nothing beats common OE parts for new parts availability in the future.

·
Registered
152 Posts
CTS-V front calipers are bolt-on when you buy the adapter Bohman sells. Rotors only require like 5mm of additional hub diameter machined. All of the parts can be bought new for cheap off of Amazon.

Nothing beats common OE parts for new parts availability in the future.
Exactly. I run Camaro SS rotors on my setup, and I just increased the hub diameter with my dremel slightly. This way I'm able to grab pads and rotors from any auto parts store if need be. Its not like Wilwood's going out of business anytime soon but I like having options on availability.

·
TACHNUP
2,302 Posts
Some Wilwood calipers do not include dust boots, others do.

The original GTO kits are this way; the front calipers (BNSL6R) do not utilize boots, but the rear calipers (DynaPro NDL) do have boots.

I have 90k+ miles on my Wilwoods, and haven't had any issues due to the lack of boots on the front calipers. This includes going through a decade's worth of Midwestern winters.

All that said, if I were to do it again I'd just go the Brembo route that's now available. Replacement rotors are much less expensive.

·
The Grinch
3,027 Posts
Some Wilwood calipers do not include dust boots, others do.

The original GTO kits are this way; the front calipers (BNSL6R) do not utilize boots, but the rear calipers (DynaPro NDL) do have boots.

I have 90k+ miles on my Wilwoods, and haven't had any issues due to the lack of boots on the front calipers. This includes going through a decade's worth of Midwestern winters.

All that said, if I were to do it again I'd just go the Brembo route that's now available. Replacement rotors are much less expensive.
want to trade for front and rear brembo setup? silver calipers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
superchargedgp
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing