LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
haven't had a problem with mine yet. as far as i know, if they use quality product and know what they are doing it should be fine. my place also gives full lifetime warranty.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The only issue with mine was that they could not do the super-thick hi po tint on the rear window because of the compound curvature of the glass. The sides went OK, but there are still a few water bubbles remaining to evaporate because the stuff is so thick. The rear window evaporated in 2 days. Nonetheless, the glass is still poor. It scratches if you look at it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
AmesGTO said:
What about getting the front window tinted? Has anyone done that?
its illegal. you can get the top 6 inches done (where the blue glass is). but i know that it is illegal in most (if not all states) to get the front done.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
there's a bit of an issue where the tint in the rear goes over the antenae. it left a faint line on both sides of it where it didn't adhere to the glass. you can't see it from the driver's seat or if you're not up close and looking for it. the "dots" at the edges have small adhesive issues too but nothing bad.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTOdriver7 said:
its illegal. you can get the top 6 inches done (where the blue glass is). but i know that it is illegal in most (if not all states) to get the front done.
Good point. I'll have to check out Iowa laws. I work about 1 block from a place that only does car window tinting. They get a ton of traffic and I know I have driven by and seen front tinted windows. I've actually thought that it's suprising they can tint them. I'm suprised no one on this site has tinted reguardless of state laws.

svede1212 said:
there's a bit of an issue where the tint in the rear goes over the antenae. it left a faint line on both sides of it where it didn't adhere to the glass. you can't see it from the driver's seat or if you're not up close and looking for it. the "dots" at the edges have small adhesive issues too but nothing bad.
Oh yeah I remember on Warren's they didn't try to tint over the small dots.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Good point. I'll have to check out Iowa laws. I work about 1 block from a place that only does car window tinting. They get a ton of traffic and I know I have driven by and seen front tinted windows. I've actually thought that it's suprising they can tint them. I'm suprised no one on this site has tinted reguardless of state laws..
well it could be by state. it wouldn't surprise if it was legal in states like Texas or AZ. maybe desert can shed some light.
but if you do it in a state the is illegal, im sure you would get ticketed so quickly.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Go to tintdude.com for the latest tint laws.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GTOdriver7 said:
well it could be by state. it wouldn't surprise if it was legal in states like Texas or AZ. maybe desert can shed some light.
but if you do it in a state the is illegal, im sure you would get ticketed so quickly.
Yeah it would be an easy ticket for cops and/or an easy reason to pull you over.

I called a couple of friends that I figured would be knowledgeable. Both of these guys have tint jobs.

One said Iowa has no tint law yet, but was considering going with the federal recommendation of 70% for every window.

The other said Iowa had passed the 70% every window law, but that trucks were completely exempt. (This sounds like something Iowa would do, trucks are exempt from a lot because of all the farmers, like I pay $400/yr to license the GTO and $60/yr for the SS. Trucks are exempt from the license cost being associated with car value so they run the min cost always).

·
3,327 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Oh yeah I remember on Warren's they didn't try to tint over the small dots.
Actually, the small dots are tinted on mine, but the tint does not adhere around them. The biggest problem my tint guy had was in the back window around the corners. It is a PITA to clean the corners, let alone try to get all the air bubbles/water out of the corners.

I dont know that I would want my front window tinted, no matter if it was legal or not. I like to be able to see at night.

·
Registered
86 Posts
They also tinted my dots, but the tint did adhere to them

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Most tint shops will have issues with the GM black dots. I had my Grand AM GT tinted and civerted the top part of the rear window with black vinyl since the tint shop couldn't get it to adhere to the dots. :bomb:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Mine's flawless. And he went around the black dots perfectly. Best $160 I've spent on the car. Funny thing is that I went through my dealer and they paid a fellow under-the-table to do it (not a shop). I'm going back to this fellow for all future tinting.

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes, our glass is not the best. Moreso the rear window than the side ones. Curvature has NOTHING to due with difficulty in this car. The rear hatch window on the Camaro is 10x more difficult to apply tint to in terms of curvature than the GTO, but looks 10x better than that on my GTO.

Pilkington who supplies our glass is not known as a top notch supplier in terms of quality. There are many pits, valleys, peaks in the level of our glass that should not be there and in which case, makes laying the film onto it very difficult. Run the tips of yor fingers over the entire span on the inside of the rear window and you'll feel what I am saying.

My tinter who's done 4 of my vehicles, 2 of my friend's and has been doing it for 20 - 25 years, was the one that explained this to me when I went back to show him things I wasn't happy with. He was more than happy to re-do it for me, but he sternly warned me that removing the tint on their already, then trying to re-apply the next version, may be worse than what I had.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The compound curvature was only a problem with the particular type of film I used. It's much thicker than normal film and cannot be shrunk to conform to the curves, as most automotive film can. He would have had to seam to rear glass with that film, so I used Huper's standard stuff on the back and it worked fine and dried in 2 days. Even the side glass was difficult with the DREI film. He swore he'd never put that stuff in a car again.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I don't get what you mean by compound curvature! Our windows are nearly flat! There is an almost non-existent arch in it from left to right and a slight one following the curvature of the dome of the roof, but that's nothing. The metalized tints are the best and is what I have. He didn't have any problems installing it. He had a tougher time with the door windows due to the felt frame.

This is a compound cruvature! :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
This is a compound cruvature! :D
Yes it is! BTW, it looks very nice, especially against the body color. :thumbs:
Although the curvature of the rear isn't severe, this DREI tint has virtually no ability to be made to conform to a surface that curves in more than 1 plane. It was developed for flat glass architectural applications. It's as thick as a Chicago pizza.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Goatcha. Can you see through it once it's on is my next question? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts