LS1GTO Forums banner

Windows Tinted - and a question

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  capra2d 
#1 ·
Got my windows done today. Back windows are 20%, and the fronts are 30%. The legal limit in Kansas is 35% on the fronts, but he told me that with the 30, they give a 5% leaway since each tint manufacturer is different. I doubt that I will have any problems, since the backs are defintely darker than the fronts.

Now for my question. The film that he used is a metallic based, so I mentioned that it should not be used on the back window. He called his old boss in Arizona, and confirmed this. So the 20% for the back is on order for Friday. We were looking around the back window, and wonder what is the easiest way to get the back window brake light moved for the tinting? Is it just a matter of pulling the gas tank felt and loosening some bolts? I think someone mentioned having their back windshield brake light moved for this, but forget the thread. Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah! Pics! Everyone likes pics!

#2 ·
Warren said:
Got my windows done today. Back windows are 20%, and the fronts are 30%. The legal limit in Kansas is 35% on the fronts, but he told me that with the 30, they give a 5% leaway since each tint manufacturer is different. I doubt that I will have any problems, since the backs are defintely darker than the fronts.

Now for my question. The film that he used is a metallic based, so I mentioned that it should not be used on the back window. He called his old boss in Arizona, and confirmed this. So the 20% for the back is on order for Friday. We were looking around the back window, and wonder what is the easiest way to get the back window brake light moved for the tinting? Is it just a matter of pulling the gas tank felt and loosening some bolts? I think someone mentioned having their back windshield brake light moved for this, but forget the thread. Any help is appreciated.

Cool looks good, I went with 20% on sides and back, no metallic based, I wanted the silver reflective kind but it would mess with my proximity sensor on my alarm if I used a metallic based. My place just cut around the brake light.

#3 ·
Dbluegoat said:
My place just cut around the brake light.
He mentioned that he could do that, but in his opinion, it did not look as good. This guy owned a tint shop in Phoenix for almost 10 years, so he knows what he is doing when it comes to applying tint. He has been out of the business for a few years, so was confused when I mentioned the metallic tint interfering with the radio. If we can figure a way to get it (the rear window brake light) out of the way relatively easy, I want him to move it. I always have my spoiler brake light for the backup.

#4 ·
Warren said:
He mentioned that he could do that, but in his opinion, it did not look as good. This guy owned a tint shop in Phoenix for almost 10 years, so he knows what he is doing when it comes to applying tint. He has been out of the business for a few years, so was confused when I mentioned the metallic tint interfering with the radio. If we can figure a way to get it (the rear window brake light) out of the way relatively easy, I want him to move it. I always have my spoiler brake light for the backup.
Sounds like a good idea as long as he is experienced, I didn't want the place i used messing with anything. It was bad enough they did not even wipe up the drip marks on the inside of the door.

#5 ·
Dbluegoat said:
Sounds like a good idea as long as he is experienced, I didn't want the place i used messing with anything. It was bad enough they did not even wipe up the drip marks on the inside of the door.
That was one of the good things about this deal. WAY cheaper than any of the other places I have called, and he let me drink a few cold ones out of the fridge in the process. I got to watch the entire time, and he explained what he was doing BEFORE he did it. He respected the car a lot, and told me that he usually doesnt take that much time when it comes to a tint job, but this one was "special". :thumbs:

#6 ·
Warren said:
That was one of the good things about this deal. WAY cheaper than any of the other places I have called, and he let me drink a few cold ones out of the fridge in the process. I got to watch the entire time, and he explained what he was doing BEFORE he did it. He respected the car a lot, and told me that he usually doesnt take that much time when it comes to a tint job, but this one was "special". :thumbs:
It is nice to have someone show that respect to the car, I got that kind of attention from the place that put my stereo in. I think it is very good business for them to treat it as your own.
:D

#7 ·
Dbluegoat said:
It is nice to have someone show that respect to the car, I got that kind of attention from the place that put my stereo in. I think it is very good business for them to treat it as your own.
:D
Oh yeah! Of course he had to show me pictures of his old '65 GTO. One of those guys that says "wish I would have never sold it." :D I told him to start it up and listen, and after he did, he just grinned from ear to ear.

#8 ·
Stick a screwdriver under the brake light from either side and pop up. It'll then slide back away from the window.

#10 ·
speedking said:
Hey Warren, Looks great! They popped mine off just like CMNTMXR57 said.
Thank you both for your help. :bubbrub

#11 ·
Warren said:

My tint installer removed the package shelf 3rd brake light--twice, in fact--first, when he installed the metallic tint (I only asked three people not to install metallic on the back); second time, when he removed the metallic and installed nonmetallic. Two days later, when I remembered to check to see that it was operational, it wasn't. I'm pretty sure the installer damaged it. The dealership service rep. said that it shouldn't have been removed. Instead, they should have installed around it.

Fortunately for me, it was replaced under warranty without question, since the tint was a dealer add-on. I don't think it's worth the risk of damaging for whatever appearance improvement. I debated the removal issue, fearing damage to the defogger. The installer said that by "sweating off" the first application, no damage would result. It looks okay, but here in Phoenix, I won't know for another 7-8 months.

So, think twice about removing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.